Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford focus issue

• 25-04-2012 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I have a 02 focus that seems to be skidding taking turns. It has happened at various speeds and gears at junctions and roundabouts. Nearly feels like car is going to roll. The steering give a shunt also and you can feel car slide a little. Tyres are in good condition. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What brand are the tyres? How old are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nmhbutler

What brand are the tyres? How old are they?
    Hi not too sure brand but they're less than 12mths and it's a second car that puts up very little mileage. Thanks for replying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Have you have a service lately where Ford replaced the tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

nmhbutler wrote: »
    Hi not too sure brand but they're less than 12mths and it's a second car that puts up very little mileage. Thanks for replying

How long the tyres are on could have very little relevance if they are a cheap Chinese brand.

You say, though, that the cars feels like its going to roll? Is it leaning over too much or skidding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sounds like you need a mechanic look at it///worn steering components.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    sounds like you need a mechanic look at it///worn steering components.
    They are tolero st300. And it feels like it's going to skid when it happens. Thanks for help.

They are tolero st300. And it feels like it's going to skid when it happens. Thanks for help.

Problem solved so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

Problem solved so.

Think you may explain to the new poster. She is new and needs the blanks filled in.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Think you may explain to the new poster. She is new and needs the blanks filled in.

Unless she is new to driving then no explanation should be needed regarding cheap, non branded tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Unless she is new to driving then no explanation should be needed regarding cheap, non branded tyres.

i know nothing about tyres, but just to make it perfectly clear.

i take it the problem for the OP is cheap tyres have worn down. and that is understandable within 12 months.

take it to your local tyre place, explain and either go with the same brand and expect the same again in a year, or upgrade to a more expensive set.

lads its not that hard to answer a question directly is it!

im a focus man meself, and have cheap tyres = no problems, change every two years and drive kk to limerick twice a week.

TC Tyres in Kilkenny i recommend if your in the area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

I would bet she is new to driving if she has to ask. I had to google them to find any info and very little info at all. yes, I know, non-branded rubbish but she may not be aware.

eldwaro wrote: »
    i know nothing about tyres, but just to make it perfectly clear.

i take it the problem for the OP is cheap tyres have worn down. and that is understandable within 12 months.

take it to your local tyre place, explain and either go with the same brand and expect the same again in a year, or upgrade to a more expensive set.

lads its not that hard to answer a question directly is it!

im a focus man meself, and have cheap tyres = no problems, change every two years and drive kk to limerick twice a week.

Non branded tyres don't have to have worn down to give issues. Brand new ones will have vastly less grip, especially in bad conditions, then any branded tyre.

This has been done a millions times on here. If you have them on your car and think they are ok, then that means nothing other then you have been lucky enough never to have been in an emergency situation(swerve, emergency braking etc) or simply can't feel what your tyres are doing on the road.

Non branded tyres don't have to have worn down to give issues. Brand new ones will have vastly less grip, especially in bad conditions, then any branded tyre.

This has been done a millions times on here. If you have them on your car and think they are ok, then that means nothing other then you have been lucky enough never to have been in an emergency situation(swerve, emergency braking etc) or simply can't feel what your tyres are doing on the road.

really? jeez...okay thanks for the advice! i wont be cheaping out for much longer!

really? jeez...okay thanks for the advice! i wont be cheaping out for much longer!

Have a squint here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_j-2W2uZ8c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2c9Ry0JfMw

so to be fair its one of those things that a garage might not just be trying to shake some more change outta me pockets.

so to be fair its one of those things that a garage might not just be trying to shake some more change outta me pockets.

Think of it this way, Everything your car does, steering, braking, acceleration, weight transfare etc etc, all has to go through the tyres to work. If the tyres don't grip, then nothing else works properly.

Think of it this way, Everything your car does, steering, braking, acceleration, weight transfare etc etc, all has to go through the tyres to work. If the tyres don't grip, then nothing else works properly.

Thanks for your help. I wasn't aware they were cheap Tyres. Paid quite a bit for them. Quite annoying. Will get someone to look at them.

Thanks for your help. I wasn't aware they were cheap Tyres. Paid quite a bit for them. Quite annoying. Will get someone to look at them.

What size are they and how much did you pay?

Advertisement