Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ivf and church view

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

eviltwin wrote: »
    They don't qualify for free treatment.
    That's tough, I hope they find a way to become parents. Could they borrow from a bank? Can the costs be mitigated a little by egg donation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

JimiTime wrote: »
    I think you need to look up what 'to murder' means.
    I think you may as well... As far as I remember you think abortion is murder. This would be indicative of someone that need to look up the definition of murder.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

smokingman wrote: »
    If anything, the ban on contraception some sects try to impose on their followers turns them into the greatest "baby murdering" group in history.

What did my post have to do with contraception? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

phutyle wrote: »
    This brings up some interesting points. The main reason that the CC (and other Christians) regards IVF as sinful seems to be that there are sometimes leftover embryos that are either destroyed, or left frozen indefinitely. And quite obviously this is regarded as sinful due to their belief that human life begins at conception.

There is actually a more fundamental reason Roman Catholics are against it.

For their doctrine sex is for reproduction and reproduction must come from sex. Even if there were no embryos destroyed (which the RC church would also oppose) IVF would still be a sin.

There are some quirks with this issue throughout other religions. With Islam for example it is ok in practice but only if the donors are married. If one was infertile and used donor sperm it would be considered adultery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

philologos wrote: »
    What did my post have to do with contraception? :confused:

You said that "IVF results in the waste of embryo's, which I can't really agree with" but there are more embryos destroyed by natural means than anything IVF could come near to. I know you are not a catholic but can you tell me if your sect has the same bans on contraception? If so, then I would posit that bans like these actually increase the numbers of embryos naturally destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

smokingman wrote: »
    You said that "IVF results in the waste of embryo's, which I can't really agree with" but there are more embryos destroyed by natural means than anything IVF could come near to. I know you are not a catholic but can you tell me if your sect has the same bans on contraception? If so, then I would posit that bans like these actually increase the numbers of embryos naturally destroyed.

I'm pretty sure that the 'sect' of the Church of England doesn't have a ban on contraception. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

PDN wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the 'sect' of the Church of England doesn't have a ban on contraception. :rolleyes:

Wasn't sure which sect was appropriate but thanks for letting me know all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

qm.gif

Advertisement