Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tempest 12 - Sairus' Last Tempest - NewPort Cafe Bar, Paul St, Cork - 19/05/12

Options
  • 25-04-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

It was only a maybe last time, but it is now a definite: I'm moving to Japan in June and so this will be my last event. :) It's been real, y'all.
    I'm hoping someone will volunteer to run these after I've gone as it'd be a shame to watch them fade away. If anyone is interested in this, please contact me and I can show you with the ropes and give you my equipment and custody of the Tempest Community Fund.
    If no one does I guess I'll be shipping that off to Dublin, and no one wants to give them free stuff. :P

I still owe Drago, Silver and Gouke medals from last time - I'll give them to you at this event, I promise! :D

As the standard there'll be a main Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition Version 2012 tournament plus a side event which there will be a vote for.
    Please only vote in the poll if you are seriously going to enter. It just makes the tournament awkward and empty if people vote and don't show up.

SSFIV details:

Entry is €10 to the Street Fighter 4 tournament.

Casuals and registration start from 12.00. The tournament itself will start at 13.00.

Side Tournament Details:

The side tournament will cost €5 to enter and prizes will be given to the top two placers.

Registration will be taken towards the end of the SSFIV tournament - somewhere around 15.30 - 16.00.

Both tournaments will be run exclusively on Xbox 360s.

There'll be a couple of extra pads on hand for those without, but please bring your own controller of choice if possible.

Anyone who can bring equipment (Games, consoles, monitors, etc) please do so!

If anyone needs to contact me and wants my mobile number, PM me.

The seed list will be up later as soon as I get back to my Hard Drive.

Here's a quick map of the venue in relation to the bus and train stations.

SFCorkMap.png

What side event game do you want? 9 votes

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    0% 0 votes
    Street Fighter x Tekken
    55% 5 votes
    Skullgirls
    44% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Rules are as follows:

SSFIV:

Prize pot will be split 60/30/10 among the top 3 finishers.

The tournament format is a group stage followed by a double elimination brackets stage.

Each match will be best of 3 games and each game is best of 3 rounds. The third game of a match will only be played in the event of a tie after the second game. If one player wins the first 2 games the third game is not played.

Time is set to 99 seconds.

Side Tournament:

Prize pot will be split 70/30 among the top 2 finishers.

The tournament format is double elimination. (No groups)

Specific rules for the winning game will be announced after the poll ends.

1. All characters are selectable.

2. Custom controllers and button configuration is allowed.

3. Turbo is banned. Anyone who is caught using this feature will be disqualified.

4. Players can change characters in each set. However once a set has started they may only change characters after losing a game. The winner of the first game must stick to the character they started the game with and may only change if he loses the second game, in which case the winner of the second game must then stick to the character he used in the second game.

5. Double Blind select available in the event of people being concerned about counter picking. An admin will assist with this if required.

6. Rock, paper, scissors is used in the event of people being unable to agree on which side they want to sit on.

7. In the event of a player pausing a game during a round or his stick/pad fails during a round, he forfeits the round unless both players agree to carry on. If there is a dispute an admin will resolve the dispute.

8. In the event of a game ending in a draw, the game will scrapped and not counted towards the results. It will then be replayed.

9. Players who are overly disruptive during a competition or who are distracting other players can be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament admins.

10. No food can be eaten in the venue that was not bought on the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

I'll be down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I'll be there as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Smack diddly in the middle of my exams this is! It will make for a nice diversion from vomitting into text books I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

In the middle of my exams too but will try to make it anyway, I seem to be missing everything recently.:(

• Advertisement

mackg wrote: »
    In the middle of my exams too but will try to make it anyway, I seem to be missing everything recently.:(
    Yar the date kind of sucks, but I ship out at the start of June so it was all I could get I'm afraid.

Sairus wrote: »
    Yar the date kind of sucks, but I ship out at the start of June so it was all I could get I'm afraid.

No worries I'll do my best to be there for your farewell Tempest.

The end of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Silver Steeez

Sweet another Tempest, ya ill be there !

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Considering making it down for your last event, skullgurlz all the way please

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Valormeer

Shall be coming along. Come on Mahval Baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Tempest or Champions League Final?

It's a tough choice, but being held in a pub is a bonus in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Shokashi

ohh ill be up for this, i played so bad last time so now its time for some practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Delv3r

I'll come if I can, I'm still free as hell, First time at Tempest too...

...Also, dem Skllgurlz.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ganondorf

whoa :o last cork tournie. that's a bit of a shame! I will do what I can to steal my way up there and join ye for it! not sure if I would be fight worthy after bouncing around in the back of a bus for 3 hours being sick :D but like I said will see what I can do to see you on your way to Japan mr Sairus!

also side tournie..... how about moar street fighter 4? :D no... damn. or street fighter EX+alpha I can bring my psone and fightpads for it ho ho... sigh why doesn't that game get ported to xbl :[

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

I'd go for EX Plus Alpha

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ganondorf wrote: »
    whoa :o last cork tournie.

If you lot let all of Sai's work over the last couple of years end like this I will personally come down and stare at you until you're uncomfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Seriously lads, it's not difficult to run tounaments, any of ye could do it. Just about stepping up and giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ganondorf

if I didn't live more than 100miles from it and had any means of transport other than our horrible bus service then I wouldn't have issues with trying! but I do and I don't. will try and rope in another Tralee lad for this too, more fighters = more craic.

If you're willing to pay 42.50, then you can take the return train from Tralee to Cork on the day if the bus service is that unreliable. It's up to yourself, though.

The DooM has missed Inferno.

He is tempted.

• Advertisement

Delv3r wrote: »
    I'll come if I can, I'm still free as hell, First time at Tempest too...

...Also, dem Skllgurlz.
    Hope to see you here! Come along for casuals even if you really don't want to enter.. but I strongly recommend you enter! :pac:
    whoa :o last cork tournie. that's a bit of a shame! I will do what I can to steal my way up there and join ye for it! not sure if I would be fight worthy after bouncing around in the back of a bus for 3 hours being sick :D but like I said will see what I can do to see you on your way to Japan mr Sairus!

Ah sure you can grab the 9:50 bus and be here for 12:00. That's a whole hour of recovery time before the tournament! :pac:
    The DooM has missed Inferno. He is tempted.
    Dooo it.

if I didn't live more than 100miles from it and had any means of transport other than our horrible bus service then I wouldn't have issues with trying! but I do and I don't. will try and rope in another Tralee lad for this too, more fighters = more craic.

might be slow and uncomfortable but It's not unreliable just make sure you avoid the millstreet bus, last bus back to tralee is half eight too so you have plenty time to chill out after if you would prefer not to hit for the bus straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Reckon I'll make this trek to see the event

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Well if half the people who say they are going go this should be quite a large tempest! I just wish it wasn't so much in the middle of my exams so I had some time to train!

Hopefully the dublin players will all come along and have a very nice time but then place very badly :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

I've only shown up on the scene and now you're sailing away. Thanks for your work, Sairus. You can count me in for this one.

I'm adapting to the life of an intern at the moment, but I'd love to see the Cork scene flourish; if you have the time to show me the ropes, I'd love to help set up a few events. I have your number, and I think you have mine, so give me a shout any time you're ready. :) And Marvel for the side event, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I reckon ye should hold a special Kumite Cup -- Sairus vs Everyone.

Then do it again when/if Sairus comes back, to see how much stronger playing in Japan makes you.

Also trying to see how I can make some moolah to come down, I think I owe Sai at least that much.

Just so y'all know my trek to Japan has been postponed a wee bit. I'll now be leaving at the end of July.

However, I'll still be moving back to Galway at the end of May, so this'll still be the last Temepst I'll be running :D

Also, to all those who got back to me about running future Tempests - good lads :D I'll be talking to you on Saturday!

Yeah it's looking increasingly likely I will be down, and as a nice pressie for Sai I intend to bring my gear for recording/commentary.

That means you lot need to practice, you're going on youtube :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Haha damn, I definitely need to practice now.

I'm trying to get friends from Kerry to meet me halfway by attending this.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's looking increasingly likely I will be down, and as a nice pressie for Sai I intend to bring my gear for recording/commentary.

:eek:

OK, I'm gonna need to push the Soul Calibur aside for a few days, me thinks.

Get hype!

Advertisement