Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI starts issuing Visa Debit cards to customers

Options
  • 24-04-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

New Bank of Ireland contactless visa debit arrived today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

dublin daz wrote: »

Good stuff. Was that a replacement to a lost/expired card or was it just sent out?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

C-Shore wrote: »
    Good stuff. Was that a replacement to a lost/expired card or was it just sent out?

Just sent out. The old one expires Mar 2013.

Just sent out. The old one expires Mar 2013.

Congratulations, I suppose?

I'll expect mine sometime next January knowing my luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Congratulations, I suppose?

I'll expect mine sometime next January knowing my luck!

lol probably knowing BOI. Just at least we know now they're rolling them out. I think end of the year everyone should have a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I just rang up there and had it confirmed that they are being rolled out. Its been done branch by branch but the guy wouldn't say when my branch would have its turn.

There's more info on the website now... Looks snazzy:

https://businessbanking.bankofireland.com/current-accounts/visa-debit-card/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 VanHeusen

Nice! Just out of curiosity - are there many stores / terminals accepting contactless payments already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

VanHeusen wrote: »
    Nice! Just out of curiosity - are there many stores / terminals accepting contactless payments already?
    Just got my Visa debit card today. Went looking on the interweb for acceptance points for contactless - apparently the "Bord Gais" theatre has the first terminal and Centra will roll them out from next month. Long way from Maine, though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I got mine today too!!! got my entry in for the competition already ha ha.
    are the people who got it staff or not? (if your willinig to admit such a thing on here ;) ) a mate works there and told me they were due to get it this month just interested to see if there is a pattern emerging as to who is getting it now and who will be waiting

Richie6904 wrote: »
    I got mine today too!!! got my entry in for the competition already ha ha.
    are the people who got it staff or not? (if your willinig to admit such a thing on here ;) ) a mate works there and told me they were due to get it this month just interested to see if there is a pattern emerging as to who is getting it now and who will be waiting

Also, apparently it's by branch so of anyone is ok with saying what branch I'd be interested to see that too. I understand if people don't want to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

Also, apparently it's by branch so of anyone is ok with saying what branch I'd be interested to see that too. I understand if people don't want to say.

Got mine today- Tallaght branch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 VanHeusen

fat-tony wrote: »
    Just got my Visa debit card today. Went looking on the interweb for acceptance points for contactless - apparently the "Bord Gais" theatre has the first terminal and Centra will roll them out from next month. Long way from Maine, though :p

Heh... That's what I thought. I guess I will need to wait a bit to see THIS at Dublin Airport :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OolP9gNLP6c

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What number would i ring to ask when my branch will be getting them, or should i call ym branch? I know it's probably pointless, but i'm fed up waiting at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Kiith wrote: »
    What number would i ring to ask when my branch will be getting them, or should i call ym branch? I know it's probably pointless, but i'm fed up waiting at this stage.

I rang Banking 365 and was told he didn't have the schedule available. So it's probably pointless you asking. If you find out, let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just realised my own card expires shortly, hopefully this will precipitate the issue of a new Visa debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

As far as I can see there's a transaction fee of 28 cents for each contactless card payment? Why would you pay an extra 28 cents for each small transaction you do? 10 transactions per week would be €145 euros per year for the 'convenience'.

Charges

Edit: Waiver until April 2013 as indicated by copacetic.

"Contactless transaction fees for domestic transactions and transactions in euro within the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will be waived up until 30th April 2013."

Edit 2:
    It looks like Bank of Ireland charges 28 cent for laser transactions already so if you're replacing laser transactions with this card the charge is the same.

Personally I won't be using it (post April) for small-value purchases at that rate.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

What I see there is fees for contactless payments are waived until April 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

copacetic wrote: »
    What I see there is fees for contactless payments are waived until April 2013?

And I presume if you meet the free banking terms and conditions you wont have to pay after this date either (if the T&C's still apply then)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sham Courtney

cookie1977 wrote: »
    And I presume if you meet the free banking terms and conditions you wont have to pay after this date either (if the T&C's still apply then)

Over three grand in the bank? Sorted!

Anyone else get their cards? I haven't got mine yet, was told in March that it would take 6 months or so to get them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

I'm with Camden street branch, I just received a Laser card to replace my expiring one :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ithaca wrote: »

Edit 2:
    It looks like Bank of Ireland charges 28 cent for laser transactions already so if you're replacing laser transactions with this card the charge is the same.

Personally I won't be using it (post April) for small-value purchases at that rate.

I've been using a BOI laser card for years and can't ever remember being charged for a transaction. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Ithaca wrote: »
    As far as I can see there's a transaction fee of 28 cents for each contactless card payment? Why would you pay an extra 28 cents for each small transaction you do? 10 transactions per week would be €145 euros per year for the 'convenience'.

Charges

Edit: Waiver until April 2013 as indicated by copacetic.

"Contactless transaction fees for domestic transactions and transactions in euro within the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will be waived up until 30th April 2013."

Edit 2:

Is this 28c charge not just for the retailer??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, part of their normal fee schedule for customers. If you qualify for free banking, however, you wouldn't see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I was in my local branch making a lodgement using the automatic deposit machine and my Laser Card got jammed in the machine's card reader!

It seems the back of the card had a rough patch, just behind the chip.

They recovered the card and ordered me a shiny new Visa Debit card instead.

So, hopefully I'll have one in a few days!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just rang and asked for a new Visa Debit card there. Said i was having issues with my Laser and they said it will be with me in 6-8 days.

Mine took well over 5 working days to arrive.
    I think they're obviously doing a major re-issue and are a bit slower than usual. Replacement cards normally didn't take that long.

They have Verified by Visa security on the cards too. So, apparently you'll be prompted to activate that the first time you make a transaction on a website that uses it.

Your Laser Card will continue to work until you activate your Visa Debit card.
    To do that, just use it in a Bank of Ireland ATM.

Once you do that, their network will cancel your old Laser card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

how safe will these contactless cards be? if you dont have to enter a pin when paying couldnt a thief simply go on a spending spree with your card if your wallet is stolen?

how safe will these contactless cards be? if you dont have to enter a pin when paying couldnt a thief simply go on a spending spree with your card if your wallet is stolen?

It seems to be limited to €15, then if there are multiple transactions (I think it's 4 transactions) it will prompt for a pin.

The worst you could be done for is 4 X €15.

So, just think of it as having €60 in your wallet as cash and report the card as lost/stolen if it goes missing a.s.a.p.

You're also supposedly covered by the banks' fraud guarantee once you've reported the card lost/stolen.

The card can also only be activated in very close proximity to the reader (<5cm) so you can't really just skim them either and you would need a Visa terminal to process the transaction and get paid and the data transmitted is useless for creating a fake card.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭lisij

how does BOI visa debit compared to UlsterBank visa debit in terms of charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Anyone who wants wants one of these new cards should report their existing card lost, provided Bank of Ireland don't charge an arm or a leg to get a new card, that is! It might be worth any charge anyway for the benefits that come with the new card.

They will have switched off the issuing of Laser cards and will replace Laser cards with Visa cards if requested!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My sister's Laser card stopped working around two weeks ago in the ATM for some reason so she ordered a new card which took a while to arrive and she got a Visa debit card as its replacement. She wanted me to take it into the bank as they had sent her a "credit card" she thought until I explained the Debit part and how it was just like Laser.

Laser cards will be no loss and they were a typically Irish stupid invention which spawned a whole set of problems and practically helped popularise the pre-pay credit card, I imagine demand for pre-pay credit cards will nose dive with Debit card you can actually use online properly now.

Advertisement