Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI starts issuing Visa Debit cards to customers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The situation in most of Europe was quite similar until quite recently i.e. national debit card schemes that didn't work abroad and weren't interoperable. There are still some in use.

What's driven Laser Card's demise has been an EU directive requiring card interoperability and the fact that Visa Debit is more net-friendly.

Maestro allowed some limited interoperability but it was mainly just for ATM and physical chip and pin transactions. E.g. you could use a Laser card quite effectively in a Maestro compatible terminal. I've even used mine in tram ticket machines in France without problems.

What let Laser down very badly was that it was never particularly online friendly. It only worked in places that specifically accepted Laser, rather than Maestro.

Many sites that claim to accept Maestro in the UK were actually only ever configured to accept British-issued Switch cards, which was a Laser-like scheme that is also largely being abandoned.

Same with other sites that might only accept German-issued Maestro etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

What about new customers? I'm considering moving to BOI due to my employer also having a BOI account, but I really don't want to give up my existing Visa Debit card to be given a laser...?

Einstein wrote: »
    What about new customers? I'm considering moving to BOI due to my employer also having a BOI account, but I really don't want to give up my existing Visa Debit card to be given a laser...?

They're no longer issuing Laser. It's extremely unlikely that they'd give one to a new customer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Recieved my new card in the post yesterday morning. While it should be handy for shopping online, I don't know of any retailers that have the NFC technology in place. Has anyone seen them in the wild?

There are a few major retail chains launching the contactless terminals later this summer!

BWG Foods who operate Spar, EuroSpar, Mace, and XL brands are rolling it out to all of their stores.

http://www.techcentral.ie/article.aspx?id=18674

Musgraves seems to be actively doing the same too.

Centra : http://www.musgravegroup.com/en/news/news_article/Centra_announced_as_first_retailer_to_accept_contactless_payments.php

I've spotted the terminals in Easons in Mahon Point in Cork already in place too.

I'd say you'll see pretty widespread adoption of this as apparently the merchant fees are lower for small transactions, at least initially and I think it only involves a change of PIN pad.

The fact that most Irish debit cards will have contactless makes it one of the most widespread rollouts of the technology anywhere. So, you might find that adoption rates will be pretty rapid.

I just hope they make use of it for things like bus payments, parking meters etc.

It would be very easy to integrate Visa/MC NFC payments into the already rolled out contactless systems on bus and Luas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

My VISA debit arrived today. Doesn't say anything about contactless though.

I had forgotten I even had a BoI account. My card was due for renewal in August.

On the one hand I'm delighted because I was just about to switch from AIB to Ulster Bank for a VISA debit. On the other hand the reason I don't usually deal with my BoI account is because I have found they made lots of mistakes in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 india

My lasor card was damaged and I called boi for a replacement card and was told a visa debit card would be sent to me and it would take 8 working days. As if that's not bad enought they are going to charge €5 something for the privilege.

Anyone else get charge for their new visa debit card?

That was the final straw. After 15 years, Bank of Ireland and myself are no more....account closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Lads how does it work when buyin online?

Do you just select Visa and enter the card number and expiration date, billing address etc or is there a special option you need to select?

Talking about a site that doesn't have the verified by visa thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Visa if Visa Debit isn't listed as an option of its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I had forgotten I even had a BoI account. My card was due for renewal in August.

On the one hand I'm delighted because I was just about to switch from AIB to Ulster Bank for a VISA debit. On the other hand the reason I don't usually deal with my BoI account is because I have found they made lots of mistakes in the past.

Aren't you getting hit for fees all the time? or did you forget about the 3k resting in your account ;)

We got two cards in the post the other day, mine was a Laser replacement :confused:, wifes was a visa debit .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

is there a charge if you phone an order a new card to replace the laser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

nevermind i just read a post above detailing the 5 euro charge. i think ill just wait for mine to be sent, instead of ordering!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

will the visa debit card work as normal in ATM's?

some shops like Lidl & Aldi only accept Laser & not credit card, will the visa debit card work with them?

once i receive mine i think i'll get rid of the credit card and see how i get on with this.

If there's a symbol on the card that looks like the WiFi symbol you'd see on a typical smart phone / iPad or Mac, you've got contactless transaction capability on the card.

Otherwise, it might just be a plain Visa Debit card.

I think if the account's been inactive for a long time, they might not opt to give you a contactless card as you could end up running up OD fees if you used it without funds available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

dobsdave wrote: »
    Aren't you getting hit for fees all the time? or did you forget about the 3k resting in your account ;)

We got two cards in the post the other day, mine was a Laser replacement :confused:, wifes was a visa debit .

They have a "Pay as You Go" fees system where its 28c per transaction in or out of your account. No transactions, no fees.

There's less than €10 in the account. If they try and charge fees on that then I'll just close the account and they sing for the fees.

bamboozle wrote: »
    will the visa debit card work as normal in ATM's?

Yes.
    some shops like Lidl & Aldi only accept Laser & not credit card, will the visa debit card work with them?

Aldi and Lidi do not only accept Laser - they've accepted Visa Debit for the last few years, not long after Halifax introduced them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

Anyone knows what happens if you don't activate the new visa debit card within 2 months. My new card arrived at home, but I'm away at the moment and won't be back until August so the 2 months will be up. I won't be using my laser card in the meantime so it doesn't matter if it's cancelled, but I'm just wondering if you can still activate the card after the 2 month period?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I've just realised that after moving a few months ago, I never changed my postal address on my account which I use for my Laser card. Do you reckon my card could've been sent to my old address now? I was a customer in the Maynooth branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It could well have, ring them and they can cancel it and send you out another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭forfcksake

agrif06 wrote: »
    Anyone knows what happens if you don't activate the new visa debit card within 2 months. My new card arrived at home, but I'm away at the moment and won't be back until August so the 2 months will be up. I won't be using my laser card in the meantime so it doesn't matter if it's cancelled, but I'm just wondering if you can still activate the card after the 2 month period?

It will automatically activate when the 2 months are up & the one you had previous becomes redundant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 VexhallVaulox

I'm sure this question has been asked thousands of times. But I'm just after losing my laser card, they are sending out a replacement. Will it be Visa Debit? I'm not too bothered if it isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'm sure this question has been asked thousands of times. But I'm just after losing my laser card, they are sending out a replacement. Will it be Visa Debit? I'm not too bothered if it isnt.

50:50 it will be

At this stage, they're no longer issuing Laser.

A few months ago they'd have reissued you with one, but now you'll just get a Visa Debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

do i have to pay €5.70 for a visa debit card to replace my current in date lost laser card ?

i have an ulster bank visa debit and they are free for me :/

also - contactless technology i'm not too arsed about to be honest.

not safe pin wise and i dont use card very often for small transactions as retailers set limits on cards anyway.

i know of a few garages where the min is €15 and the max on the card is €15..... good luck trying to balance that one out.... in the hole it goes and enter the pin thanks.

but anyways, €5.70 ? really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Just a few notes here :

There is a Government Charge every january to your Visa Debit Card Currently 5 euro ( 2.50 Atm card usage and 2.50 for the use of Point of Sale Facility

Also they state: We would like to remind you that where we notify you of a change to the terms and conditions of your account that you do not wish to Accept you may end your contract with us, However before you can do this you must pay us any money Interst fees charges or Government Stamp Duty that you owe in connection with your account , if you do not ask to end your contract you are deemed ti have accepted the changes on their effective date.
    in this instance the effective date of the changes is 25th September 2012.

Here is my questions im actually thinking if closing this account going to Ulster Bank,

as i have it as a current account anyway if i cancel the card can i just have this current account without a atm card or debit card ???

Also i wrote to this bank three weeks ago complaining about current account fees they never answered my letter i then rang the bank and the guy said he would look into it as it is a back room decision i still have had no reply its a disgrace,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

will every shop that currently excepts visa credit cards accept visa debit? Presumably the change doesn't require any upgrades e.g you wont get some small garage saying they don't do visa debit?

Yes, they should be accepted pretty much anywhere Visa credit cards are. As Visa Debit has now been out in Ireland for a number of years, there shouldn't be any store here that can't accept them nowadays - remember Ulster and PTSB have been issuing them to their customers for quite a whole now, and Halifax before them, when they were here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I changed to boi after ulster bank mess. One thing i noticed is that my balance doesn't update straight away like my ub visa debit. Ive been using the card for the last few days and balance hasn't changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

jd83 wrote: »
    I changed to boi after ulster bank mess. One thing i noticed is that my balance doesn't update straight away like my ub visa debit. Ive been using the card for the last few days and balance hasn't changed.

Definitely something wrong there, transactions should reflect in your balance as the card is being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

jd83 wrote: »

doesnt update on weekends as far as i know

Advertisement