Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI starts issuing Visa Debit cards to customers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thenuisance

I just got my new Bank card today and sure enough it has the contactless payment 'feature'.

As usual the cunning bankers are preparing the spit to skewer us on. There will be no charge for contactless transactions until next April (the point of time at which most of us will have forgotten that we are going to get charged for them). I reckon Joe Duffy will be having a field day in the dog days of next summer when the first bank charges come in with the contactless transactions on them. So every working day you get the Sun, the Lucozade and the Danish out of Centra - 7 quid, contactless 'See you John'. After 3 months you have about 70 28c charges - 19.60 on your quarterly bank charges.

I don't mind the banks charging for their service (after all I own them and I want my money back) but 28c on 7 quid (and I would guess that will be the average) is a fair chunk of change. I might consider using it at 5c a shot but I think I'll stick to cash for the moment.

Unfortunately this has all the hallmarks of an idiot tax - we get sucked in with the free offer and will stay to be fleeced. If you want to try the free offer put a reminder on your phone for 29th April 2013. In fact do it anyway just in case you get tempted.

There are definitely potential security issues but how serious these are I'll leave to the techies and the tinfoil hat brigade.

Advertisement