Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The world "grushie"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

al28283 wrote: »
    Nope, that was Belvedere.

buncha saps

I our school we use to say bunch of:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

44leto wrote: »
    I our school we use to say bunch of:p

in our school we used to say In

in our school we used to say In

http://www.colincarroll.ie/images/testcard.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Gushie where I'm from. (Tallaght)
    We used to get sweet gushies too when the money ran out.

Weird, I'm from Tallaght and it was always grushie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Well my school was better then either of yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Abi wrote: »
    What does the all a bah bit mean?

Could be ab ea, maybe? Not sure it makes sense from a Gaeilge perspective but it's makes as much sense as a bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

one more for the Northside Gushie pile

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

southsider here, and it was both 'gushie' and 'grushie' in our school, depending on who called it (usually not the person whose stuff was being thrown about)

usually used with sweets, change and stacks of premier league stickers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

You'd swear there were food shortages they way at the shout of 'gushie' people would pile in and and fight it out for the sake of a thrown half kit-kat that was in pieces when it hit the floor or being trampled by the onrushing stampede!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Grushie, Ballyfermot :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Premier league stickers were banned in my primary school because of them. There used to be carnage at lunchtime :pac:

I don't think the grusies were dangerous but the pile ups definitely were, how no-one was killed I would never know, some may have suffered a bit of anoxia and then brain damage, but you wouldn't have noticed that in my old school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Caraville wrote: »
    This has to be a Dublin thing, I've never heard it before in my life.
    I'm from Dublin and I've never heard of either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

+1 for Grushie. (Rathmines/ Harolds Cross)

Their used to be a hobo that wandered the area "The Halfpenny Man", pronounced Haepenny.
    The local kids would pester him for money so to rid himself of us he would throw up change and carnage would result. "GRUUUUSSSHIE" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Premier league stickers were banned in my primary school because of them. There used to be carnage at lunchtime :pac:

25 Peter Fear stickers left on the ground as everybody already had him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

It's gushie not grushie!

And we did it for sweets in school :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

It's "grushie"!:mad::pac:

How do you add a poll after the thread has already been posted?

44leto wrote: »
    I don't think the grusies were dangerous but the pile ups definitely were, how no-one was killed I would never know, some may have suffered a bit of anoxia and then brain damage, but you wouldn't have noticed that in my old school.

:D

Jesus OP, when you say "world" do ye actually mean "word"? Ye fecking idiot!
    ....oh waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

A family member did it at my parents wedding and smashed the wedding car window!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Jesus OP, when you say "world" do ye actually mean "word"? Ye fecking idiot!
    ....oh waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait!!!!!

Finally ...................http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78333295&postcount=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Gushie over here as well, another Northsider.

From what I remember, nobody actually really cared about what was being thrown in, it was simply for a laugh and baiting the ****e out of each other and having a valid reason.

Jocking was pretty popular too, got in some right crap with the principal for jocking a lad I hung around with in the middle of a huge yard in front of a female teachers. Cacks and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Gushie / North Dub / F

Never heard of Grushie before.

Is it a Dublin thing or do our bumpkin cousins have the words too?

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Gushie over here as well, another Northsider.

From what I remember, nobody actually really cared about what was being thrown in, it was simply for a laugh and baiting the ****e out of each other and having a valid reason.

Jocking was pretty popular too, got in some right crap with the principal for jocking a lad I hung around with in the middle of a huge yard in front of a female teachers. Cacks and all.

Yeah I remember jocking, but in my school we were even worse. We used to do "ball knock". Basically, walking by somebody, you quickly bounce/punch your knuckles off their bollocks. Very gay, yes, and very painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Its Grushie, a Group rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gushie. Like your ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I saw the word grushie and came here looking for my free stuff, and I find this... What gives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

foxyboxer wrote: »
    All a bah!!!

That's the cork slang.
    "All a bah for a bag o Meanies"
    Don't know that one.
    Not a single thanks ?? My comic talents are wasted on ye :mad:
    I didn't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

The word is Grushie.
    It originates from a Scottish word and translates to mean "Healthy and Thriving".
    It probably came from Roman origin initially as there is evidence that the Romans had a similar tradition of "Throwing the Coin" at weddings.
    It's is reckoned that the Grushie tradition at Irish weddings came from Irish people who were living in England and saw this tradition of what the English called "Throwing The Coin" and which the English had taken from the Scots tradition of "Grushie".
    Obviously, the Irish people who returned home with this tradition wouldn't give the English the satisfaction of using the English term for it, so we used "Grushie"
    Phew:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

stovelid wrote: »

It was grushie.

Also when the poor mug got his hand on the coin, everybody started jumping on him chanting Pile On, Pile On.

...which usually led to a wedgie ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Gushie - three schools in Dublin 12 (mine, my brothers and another one we went to for summer camps).

Never heard of this money-at-a-wedding thing!
    We used the word at lunch-time in primary school and the early years of secondary school - when someone got something they didn't like for lunch and several people around them wanted it, they'd throw it in air and yell "gushie!". Whoever caught it, got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dudess wrote: »
    Don't know that one.

I didn't get it.

I know. Noone did. A grammar nazi pun with a geeky Futurama reference in an AH thread full of grammar nazi discussion and no-one got it.
    You are slipping people of AH slipping.
    Blast yis with piss.
    Yore ma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Gushie - three schools in Dublin 12 (mine, my brothers and another one we went to for summer camps).

I went to 3 schools in Dublin 12 too, and it was grushie. There was a fellow near where we lived and he used to throw money into the air. He was affectionately known as the grushie man.

Also I've read through the thread and grushie is winning, and the proper etymology of the word is grushie as at least 3 posters have proved already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Only people who started grushies were future heads of businesses who enjoyed watching people grovel for their money. Future little pudgy cùnts who stutter to reason and flatter to decieve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im going to do it at my wedding in 5 weeks but im going to throw razor blades in the air for all the arklow kiddies to catch then im moving home to Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I don't think it's the same as a Grushie which is done by someone else.

It was a declaration that your crisps/sweets could be claimed by all and sundry. You would declare "All a bah for Monster Munch!" which let people know you'd be holding the bag out for people to take some.

If you were trolling people you'd do the following.

"All a bah!" and hold out the bag.

Wait for someone to reach for one. Withdraw the bag and say

"Mockeyah!!!" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

foxyboxer wrote: »

I don't think it's the same as a Grushie which is done by someone else.

It was a declaration that your crisps/sweets could be claimed by all and sundry. You would declare "All a bah for Monster Munch!" which let people know you'd be holding the bag out for people to take some.

If you were trolling people you'd do the following.

"All a bah!" and hold out the bag.

Wait for someone to reach for one. Withdraw the bag and say

"Mockeyah!!!" :pac:
    Ah, I see. What does mockeyah mean?

We could be here a while :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Ah, I see. What does mockeyah mean?

We could be here a while :pac:

Something fake or untruthful.

"Is that a real Rolex?"
    "Nah, it's only a mockeyah one I got in Spain"

Or

"I didn't know that the WWE wrestling is only mockeyah?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

was always gushie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

It was called a Grushie, notice half the people calling it a gusjie are going on about school yards and sweets, Grushies where only at weddings and was only with money, Feck your sweets.

Gushie sounds Ghey!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

It was both Grushie and Gushie when I was a kid! It depends on the area.
    I started off in Ballymun and it was Grushie, was always a handfull of money thrown out before the groom got in the limo to go to the church.
    Then I moved to Howth and suddenly it was Gushie, and only involved pogs, and nobody did them for weddings.

Was always a huge occasion when someone was getting married, just for the grushie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Gushie! Oh the memories. Such violent pile-ons all for the sake of a half chewed toffee. Amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm from Dublin and I've never heard of either of them.

It was only popular amongst the horrid, common children.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It's a grushie ffs. And they were the dogs bollox,especially at weddings when the oldies were half cut and loose with the pound coins, fúck that 2p 5p nonsense.
    A gushie is something to do with squirters i think:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Never heard the word grushie/gushie, but if someone threw sweets/money in the air at my school in the north of England, the word used was 'SCRAMBLE' and then everyone would 'pile on' to get whatever had been thrown........

Never saw it being done with money at a wedding though........

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

4. gushy

Shout signifying then beginning of a free-for-all scramble for some object.
    Sean tossed the half eaten apple into the air yelling 'Gushy'. Maire and Pol scrambled desperatly over each other to grab the remains of the apple.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gushy

I'd say Maire and Pol were just looking for any excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Grushie or grushee where I lived In Ringsend.
    Usually happened outside the house of the Bride for the kids on the road.
    Then a bigger one from all the men outside the church before they left for the reception.

Caused bedlam amongst the kids, battering each other to get the money.
    Think the local church asked for it to stop for H&S reasons.
    Kids were on the roads shouting " Throw it out, Throw it out" with cars passing etc

Ah I miss them days

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

It was a gushie in Bray back in the day, someone would throw away their little collection marbles and shout gushie, everyone would pile in. Getting a few Bottlers was always a sign of triumph in such situations. Ah the memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Does anyone remember the saying "up for the boots"?

As in if someone had a pack of sweets or something and they were up for the boots, they would throw them in the air and whoever caught them would keep em.

My friends and I used say it the whole time and I heard the Rubberbandits using it before in a prank phonecall but no one else seems to remember it! :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement