Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The world "grushie"

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I think it was a trick your "friends" played to get your sweets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

stovelid wrote: »
    Abi wrote: »
    I'm from Dublin and I've never heard of either of them.

It was only popular amongst the horrid, common children.

:)
    Thanks for clearing that up for me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I remember it well, although the Dublin folk here seem to call it Gushie/Grushie, weirdos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Wasn't there a thread on this yesterday, except it's called a "Gushie"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,225 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the saying "up for the boots"?

As in if someone had a pack of sweets or something and they were up for the boots, they would throw them in the air and whoever caught them would keep em.

My friends and I used say it the whole time and I heard the Rubberbandits using it before in a prank phonecall but no one else seems to remember it! :(
    Well thank you very much! I now understand "ambrose holohan is throwin fizzy chewits up for the boot" means.....thought it was hilarious anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

It's a grushie ffs.

You mean to say "It's a grushie where I grew up". It was gushie in my town, and your trite "ffs" doesn't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The most impressive gushie I've ever seen was back in primary school, when someone accidentally let a container of their Pogs fall all over the yard.

A gushie cry went out and about 100 children descended like angry, rioting vultures. It was insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Wasn't there a thread on this yesterday, except it's called a "Gushie"
    Similar enough for a merge anyway.

Merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

44leto wrote: »
    It was Pile up, pile up but you got grushie right.

The grammar on boards is appalling.

Ah yes the pile up, usually invoked when some poor bugger had fallen over by accident etc. Many a child was near killed in those pile ups. Simpler times, Happier times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

has anyone heard the expression Bally Up before? seemingly it means to put a condom on :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Well thank you very much! I now understand "ambrose holohan is throwin fizzy chewits up for the boot" means.....thought it was hilarious anyway!!

Yeah thats where it resurfaced! But it's weird because myself and about 3/4 of my friends have used it before and the rubberbandits did, but no one else in limerick did! Even though they grew up on the opposite side of the city! found it strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Did anyone else play a game called Nuts in school, it consisted of a cap off a bottle being kicked around and if it was kicked through someones legs, Nuts was shouted and the person who got "Nutz" got a beating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Did anyone else play a game called Nuts in school, it consisted of a cap off a bottle being kicked around and if it was kicked through someones legs, Nuts was shouted and the person who got "Nutz" got a beating?

Yep. About 50 6th years beat the **** out of you. Great craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Skerries wrote: »
    has anyone heard the expression Bally Up before? seemingly it means to put a condom on :confused:

Bally=balaclava. Bally up =to wear a balaclava usually for nefarious reasons. From there the condom reference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Used to love these. Which is probably why I can't remember whether we called it a gushee or a grushee. I'm leaning towards gushee but can't be sure.

The one I remember the best was when we were in 5th class and had to be the choir for the confo. After the mass the teacher gave a bag of sweets to 'share'. Needless to say they were fcuked in the air and the carnage began

Dublin 9 by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Hahaa I remember grushies! I don't remember people slapping my hand in school as I counted my change, if they'd done it I'd have slapped their head...though if I had that much change in school it would have been a miracle :D I only remember them at weddings, as the bride's car was pulling away from the house, the father of the bride would throw out a load of change and we'd all shout 'grushie!' and grab what we could. I always assumed it was to keep us away from the car :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Skerries wrote: »

Gushie is been talked about with sweets, Grushie was money and usually wedding related, i think 2 seperate things are going on here.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I went to 3 schools in Dublin 12 too, and it was grushie. There was a fellow near where we lived and he used to throw money into the air. He was affectionately known as the grushie man.

Also I've read through the thread and grushie is winning, and the proper etymology of the word is grushie as at least 3 posters have proved already.

I wasn't saying "grushie" was wrong, was just saying which one I've heard/used!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

lan·guage:

Communication of thoughts and feelings through a system of arbitrary signals, such as voice sounds, gestures, or written symbols.

Doesn't matter how the **** you pronounced it. It was funny back in the day. Grab someones pencil case, empty contents, **** across room and shout g(r)ushie.

I think both ways of spelling and pronounciation transcend even and odd postcodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Grushie.

The best man at a wedding would throw the loose coppers from his wallet in the air and the deprived children (me) would scramble for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I feel sorry for all of you. And your poverty stricken childhoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Not as sorry as I for your taste in television.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ThePathIChoose

Hey Ugly, no you're not menthol. I remember it as Grushie as cisk said, although ebn could also be correct. Although it was probably more like 'crushie' after the mayhem that ensued. I remember it as a supply and demand channel, when one person only had one of something left and there was a demand for it. They'd fcuk it over their shoulder like a wedding bouquet and let the hoi polloi sort it out amongst themselves.

There is a reference to it in this classic song extolling the versatility of the banana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koEjkAW8JIg

Not as sorry as I for your taste in television.

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Hey! Don't feel sorry for me, I bought a choc ice from the spoils of one grushie...a whole choc ice! They were big money in those days *rocks in rocking chair remembering when this was all fields*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Hey! Don't feel sorry for me, I bought a choc ice from the spoils of one grushie...a whole choc ice! They were big money in those days *rocks in rocking chair remembering when this was all fields*

don't you mean a chroc ice?

Fair enough. A choc ice of one's own is not to be sneered at.

I have still never heard of this scrabbling in the pebbles for coppers gig though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Grushie is (according to the experts) probably from a Scots Gaelic word meaning thriving or healthy, which would fit in with the idea of being flaithiúl (generous) after a wedding. It's certainly a Scottish tradition, whether it went there from here and came back, or came here from there, who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

stovelid wrote: »
    It was only popular amongst the horrid, common children.

:)

Northside, inner city Dub & proud ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mongdesade wrote: »
    Northside, inner city Dub & proud ! ;)

Proud of being from the Northside? :confused:

:pac: (Tallaght)

• Advertisement
Advertisement