Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Aderra co cork

Options
  • 25-04-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

hi...just wondering has anyone fished here lately,is it fly only or are spinning and worms allowed?have it in my head it's fly only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

it is fly spinner and worm lake i have fished it a couple of times in the last month and got a good load of trout every time i was using worm and spinner and fly if your fly fishing use small nymphs and olive damsils or use a size one silver meps its deadly i got alot of trout on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

were those fish any size Kevin?

I used to fish it a lot with my father, as it's in a very convient location from city, but the size and number of trout was very, very dissapointing in recent years. I also had a big long rant about the place in this forum last year, as it was over run with a thick algae which made fishing next to impossible, yet the fisheries board kept it open (and kept charging none-the-wiser anglers to fish)

Incidently, my best evening there was 4 trout for 12.5lbs in less than an hour on dries. That was many moons ago now tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

it is fly spinner and worm lake i have fished it a couple of times in the last month and got a good load of trout every time i was using worm and spinner and fly if your fly fishing use small nymphs and olive damsils or use a size one silver meps its deadly i got alot of trout on it

thanks...were you fishing the worm on the bottom or floating with a bubble?
    heard its a good spot to bring kids fishing,plenty of rudd to be caught with bread apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

i had a good enough day the last day i fished it the trout are small enough most around half pound i had a few too small to keep thay were about 9 inches i had one that was in thare a year or two he was dark brown green colour he was about 3 pound i got them with a float and a worm or a small silver mepps and a few on a pheasant tail nymph all from the bank thare are thousands of rudd put a tiny peice of worm on a small hook and you will get hundreds of them

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

Do you have to pay to fish there or whats the story? Do you need a license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

you need to pay before you fish there unless you have a yearly permit for the stocked lakes
    you can get the permits from TH sports i think they still do them boats are extra aswell
    the fishery board do spot checks quite often so its not worth the hassle
    i think it costs about 10 euro to fish there for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

realrebel wrote: »
    you need to pay before you fish there unless you have a yearly permit for the stocked lakes
    you can get the permits from TH sports i think they still do them boats are extra aswell

Thanks. Where is TH Sports? Is that the gun shop in Midleton?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

It's the tackle shop in the town just off the main street sorry I dont know the name of the street
    I say they sell guns too so could be the same place

Quote=tonytoc11;78842759]
    realrebel wrote: »

Thanks. Where is TH Sports? Is that the gun shop in Midleton?[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

It used to be a great lake before the algae took over about 15 years ago. Got polluted by slurry, thus causing the algae. This is unfortunately irreversible.

The warm weather will cause the algae to get out of control early this year. You will see dead fish floating on top of the water.

It used to be such a beautiful lake.

Advertisement