Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban second hand games! says Crytek (kind of)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Then why is it only the big developers that complain about second hand sales? Atlus and Rising Star only release enough copies to meet demand and maybe do a reprint if there's demand. You hardly ever see Atlus or Rising Star games in second hand bins, well when it comes to atlus thats what my friend from new jersey tells me and from the podcasts I listen to. It's a big difference to the likes of EA who flood the market with stock and end with excess stock selling at 10-15 euros less than 6 months down the line taking a credit hit in the process. Perhaps publishers should look at their marketing and be a lot more savvy like the niche publishers.

The supply is not an issue, the shops that are selling these games only order what they can sell and they're also the ones who are selling the used games so there hardly buying an excess of new games just so they can't sell them due to the used games sales they are also getting.

The witcher got pirated a lot ( i know Piracy =/= used) but due to the exposer they got the withcer 2 sold far better, new ips from smaller devs probably do better in the long run due to used games but the AAA games are unlikely to be helped by it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The publishers have a lot to blame for that as well, sending out titles like shadows of the damned and binary domain to die with zero marketing. I think publishers should sort themselves out instead of blaming the second hand market on everything.

Also I only see developers going bust usually because they can't secure publisher funding when a game they make fails to sell, sometimes because of publisher ineptitude. I've not seen any publishers struggling, the ones imposing ridiculous practices like only paying out some of the money to developers if a certain metacritic score is reached.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The publishers have a lot to blame for that as well, sending out titles like shadows of the damned and binary domain to die with zero marketing. I think publishers should sort themselves out instead of blaming the second hand market on everything.

Also I only see developers going bust usually because they can't secure publisher funding when a game they make fails to sell, sometimes because of publisher ineptitude. I've not seen any publishers struggling, the ones imposing ridiculous practices like only paying out some of the money to developers if a certain metacritic score is reached.

Publishers are constantly struggling... Take 2 and Sega to pick the two most prominent example at the moment. They're not alone: even Nintendo are failing to turn profits for the first time in a long streak of success.

Frankly, I have to go back to blaming everyone rather than a single source. Publishers need to be more savvy. Developers need to take more risks. Retailers need to be less greedy. And, perhaps most vitally of all, gamers need to be more open-minded and stop encouraging the market conditions that allow all these problems to germinate. Every party involved in the process is partially to blame: not just the evil publishers, mediocre developers or predictable gamers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Last I heard Sega are turning a decent profit. And they've only got themselves to blame as well what with Binary Domain and other games receiving zero marketing and releasing Resonance of Fate on the same date as the FFXIII/SMT Strange Journey double whammy. That's just two examples of Sega's bad management. It's that kind of stupidity and not used game sales that have been damaging Sega in the past. Not sure about Take 2, haven't heard much there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Hey now lads leave sega alone :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Surely you see the problem with that though? If games require a baseline marketing spend, thus increasing the average development budget even further, then they'll be even less likely to fund riskier development.

Also, look at the fan reaction to Demon's Souls, it was touted as being a true grass roots success with little in the way of publisher support but because of the quality, it sold really well?

As for gamers, should they be exempt from all blame despite not doing what could be considered their due diligence on new releases? Should they need everything spoon fed to them? How would they react if every major title released had equal marketing budgets put into them?

Hell, even in the context of the posts so far in this thread, we had Binary Domain offering a fantastic single player experience, no tacked on multiplayer, no pre-order incentives, no horrible DLC, a PC port which made the front page of Steam and, most importantly, it was sold for around the £25 on most places. Even in the face of all of this, and with a thread on these and other forums pointing all of this out, are publishers still the only ones to blame for it not doing well?

Note: Not "doing well" is a nice way of putting it. The game ****ing bombed selling around 20k copies in NA.
    Also I only see developers going bust usually because they can't secure publisher funding when a game they make fails to sell, sometimes because of publisher ineptitude.
    Or when they rely on trying to get funding for riskier games which publishers are reluctant to do? It's of no particular surprise when you see so many developers relying on "safe" titles in cases like this. For them, the need to keep the studio open, pay their staff and hope to eventually make the games they really want to make is what drives these kinds of decisions.
    I've not seen any publishers struggling, the ones imposing ridiculous practices like only paying out some of the money to developers if a certain metacritic score is reached.
    This Sega? :o
    “It is hereby notified that Sega Sammy Holdings Inc. is expected to record extraordinary loss in the year ending March 2012,” a financial document published today by Sega begins.

gizmo wrote: »
    Surely you see the problem with that though? If games require a baseline marketing spend, thus increasing the average development budget even further, then they'll be even less likely to fund riskier development.

Also, look at the fan reaction to Demon's Souls, it was touted as being a true grass roots success with little in the way of publisher support but because of the quality, it sold really well?

As for gamers, should they be exempt from all blame despite not doing what could be considered their due diligence on new releases? Should they need everything spoon fed to them? How would they react if every major title released had equal marketing budgets put into them?

Hell, even in the context of the posts so far in this thread, we had Binary Domain offering a fantastic single player experience, no tacked on multiplayer, no pre-order incentives, no horrible DLC, a PC port which made the front page of Steam and, most importantly, it was sold for around the £25 on most places. Even in the face of all of this, and with a thread on these and other forums pointing all of this out, are publishers still the only ones to blame for it not doing well?

Note: Not "doing well" is a nice way of putting it. The game ****ing bombed selling around 20k copies in NA.

Or when they rely on trying to get funding for riskier games which publishers are reluctant to do? It's of no particular surprise when you see so many developers relying on "safe" titles in cases like this. For them, the need to keep the studio open, pay their staff and hope to eventually make the games they really want to make is what drives these kinds of decisions.

This Sega? :o

article bit ott, they are going to get a loss alright but nothing to extreme, they are still going to expect grow a profit at the end of Q4 :D

article bit ott, they are going to get a loss alright but nothing to extreme, they are still going to expect grow a profit at the end of Q4 :D
    Well while the use of extraordinary in financial documents can generally mean a wide variety of things, I'd still consider a loss of $86m to be quite damaging to any company. :)

Well while the use of extraordinary in financial documents can generally mean a wide variety of things, I'd still consider a loss of $86m to be quite damaging to any company. :)

oh it is dont get me wrong it is but its more of a japanesse market decline than anything sega are doing wrong as a company , even look at nintendo who are dropping serious dough but 3ds sales are all time high its more of a market thing , why it was smart for sega i think to lay off their q and a team which are basically useless, im trying to find the article but they are still expecting to profit at Q4 from panicko machines and concentrating on there key ips.
    following sega for awhile its inevitable they are slowly moving towards the digital market than retail , i expect the next couple of months you see alot more sega games on steam while only seeing there key titles like mario and sonic olympic titles, sonic, total war , aliens and football manager at retail

oh it is dont get me wrong it is but its more of a japanesse market decline than anything sega are doing wrong as a company , even look at nintendo who are dropping serious dough but 3ds sales are all time high its more of a market thing , why it was smart for sega i think to lay off their q and a team which are basically useless, im trying to find the article but they are still expecting to profit at Q4 from panicko machines and concentrating on there key ips.
    following sega for awhile its inevitable they are slowly moving towards the digital market than retail , i expect the next couple of months you see alot more sega games on steam while only seeing there key titles like mario and sonic olympic titles, sonic, total war , aliens and football manager at retail
    Yup, that's pretty much it alright.

As a gamer though it's extremely dismaying to see that happen given the utterly fantastic quality of some of their releases over the past two years. :(

• Advertisement

Yup, that's pretty much it alright.

As a gamer though it's extremely dismaying to see that happen given the utterly fantastic quality of some of their releases over the past two years. :(

agreed, as i was talking about with retro past few days you will see less games from companies taking risk and just concentrating on their strong ips, japanesse studios will only have two options 1. try cater to the western audience or 2 and this is the most likely source they stick with their own crowd and you wont see games like valkyria chronicles 3 coming over :(.
    such a shame and i dont know quite whos to blame for it. i tend to think as wrong i could be its the shooter market that has taken off this generation , when games try to break away from the shooter market they sale pretty badly.
    theres still a market for japan but they will be moving away from consoles and just concentrating on the handheld market

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

im trying to find the article but they are still expecting to profit at Q4 from panicko machines and concentrating on there key ips.

That's the point, really. That even one of the world's most prominent publishers can struggle to sell anything in bulk beyond their mediocre Sonic vs Mario games and horrible, horrible pachinko machines. The likes of Bayonetta, Vanquish and Yakuza - despite their widely accepted high quality - always struggle to make a dent in the Western market

As for Take-two, while their finances have moderately improved in recent times, without the GTA games at their disposable they'd significantly struggle to turn a profit. Ditto Nintendo, who alas seem to hemorrhage money everytime they focus on games that aren't fitness sims or Mario games. As for Codemasters...

Just to counter the suggestion that publishers aren't struggling. Not saying it's down to used sales - the public's rejection of Japanese properties is a more damning factor for Sega particularly - but there are troubled publishers, and no shortage of them.

That's the point, really. That even one of the world's most prominent publishers can struggle to sell anything in bulk beyond their mediocre Sonic vs Mario games and horrible, horrible pachinko machines. The likes of Bayonetta, Vanquish and Yakuza - despite their widely accepted high quality - always struggle to make a dent in the Western market

As for Take-two, while their finances have moderately improved in recent times, without the GTA games at their disposable they'd significantly struggle to turn a profit. Ditto Nintendo, who alas seem to hemorrhage money everytime they focus on games that aren't fitness sims or Mario games. As for Codemasters...

Just to counter the suggestion that publishers aren't struggling. Not saying it's down to used sales - the public's rejection of Japanese properties is a more damning factor for Sega particularly - but there are troubled publishers, and no shortage of them.

like sega and nintendo and most other japanesse companies their games are old school and you always feel the distinction of their products cause they have a certain style, vanquish , bayonetta didnt sell cause of no marketing , game got huge buzz on the net and people used word from mouth and yet bayonetta nearly broke a million and vanquish sold 500k-800k copies.
    there is a rejection no doubt , yakuza has huge acclaim and audience but the series which has 6 titles 2 handheld games only managed to break 3 million copies worldwide, luckly enough sega were smart enough to use in game adverts to gain their money and using panicko machines in yakuza 4 the yakuza series is doing alright but should be doing better.
    and i repeat japanesse companies will leave consoles and move digitally or handheld. it just a metter of time

Isn't Sammy's side of the business that is losing money while Sega remain profitable? It's the same with Atlus who are making record profits but the parent company Index Holdings Inc. are making a loss across the board.

As for Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, every year you'll get a game like that that succeeds despite the odds and no marketing. There's a lot more projects though that go under for the those reasons, it's more an outlier than a trend.

it is on Sammy if they take losses considering they are making the shots.

look these numbers are not coming in cause of used games sales alone, we can all agree on that , us market is on the decline and europe is on a rocky edge aswell.
    not saying a crash is coming but its getting pretty close , last thing we need is new generation of consoles coming while the state it is in this current time.
    why we need new consoles for ? more graphical power ?, ps3 , 360 have not even being pushed to their limits and it be ridiculous we need new hardware just so we can have the most realistic backgrounds in the world, i for one and prob many other play games to get out of real world. developers and publishers wouldnt be taken such a huge hit if they did reckless spend on photo realism power and just focused on gameplay . its why the indie market is booming and iphone mobile games are seeing huge profit.
    we need new structure , gaming way of business is light years behind movie business and music , we need to go back to our roots , shelling millions millions of dollars/euro on a engine that looks like you are looking outside your window is stupid ... but im getting off track but ya i said what i have to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

A timely decision in the European Court of Justice on a different but slightly similar issue (second hand sale of used licenses of business software).

I'm too tired to read it all properly at the moment, so I can't work out whether it would help, hinder, or have no effect on any potential future case regarding second hand games.

I do however love the fact the Advocate General issuing the opinion is named Bot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

MOH wrote: »
    A timely decision in the European Court of Justice on a different but slightly similar issue (second hand sale of used licenses of business software).

I'm too tired to read it all properly at the moment, so I can't work out whether it would help, hinder, or have no effect on any potential future case regarding second hand games.

I do however love the fact the Advocate General issuing the opinion is named Bot.

It seems that it would have a bigger effect if taken as is by a judge on trading downloaded content rather than any physical medium which most of these threads seem to be about, thought if any future console were to be along the lines of current EA/Valve/etc PC games were you're given access to the game through Origin/steam as well as the disc it could apply here also if any new law or change/clarification to current ones were made in line with this opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Best way to deal with this is make a game with substance that lasts, rather than a 7 hour shootfest like Crysis 2 was. People are less likely to trade in games that last and games that they really enjoy and want to keep for their collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Hawke wrote: »
    Best way to deal with this is make a game with substance that lasts, rather than a 7 hour shootfest like Crysis 2 was. People are less likely to trade in games that last and games that they really enjoy and want to keep for their collection.
    Absolutely hit the nail on the head right there. The problem isn't that people are buying your game second hand, it's why are people trading your games in the first place!

Seven hour shootfest is better than a fourteen hour shootfest, frankly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mrm

It appears that the '(kind of)' in the title thread was the operative bit - Crytek retract opinion on SH games facilities on future consoles.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/345749/crytek-awesome-next-gen-used-games-block-comments-werent-serious/

All our views, opinions and posts are now obsolete. I feel duped!

Nonetheless, I believe that it still stands that if the games manufacturing/ publishing industry desire such a considerable revision of the games consumer market (i.e. destroy completely the SH aspect), then the games consumer should in parallel desire a large revision to the games manufacturing/ publishing practices. If you want to make me buy new games only, fine, start making me some 'new' games! (i.e. three is enough games of any good series, otherwise it makes me say "I have already played this B4"!)

mrm wrote: »
    Nonetheless, I believe that it still stands that if the games manufacturing/ publishing industry desire such a considerable revision of the games consumer market (i.e. destroy completely the SH aspect), then the games consumer should in parallel desire a large revision to the games manufacturing/ publishing practices. If you want to make me buy new games only, fine, start making me some 'new' games! (i.e. three is enough games of any good series, otherwise it makes me say "I have already played this B4"!)
    And what about the gamers that want more than three games in a series?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what about just not buying the fourth game in a series?

what about just not buying the fourth game in a series?

What else will I buy that week? I can't buy a second hand game!:)
    And what about the gamers that want more than three games in a series?

Lads, if you want the gaming industry to keep making and releasing the same game thats fine for you apparantly, keep supporting that until you get to the stage that MW9, BF7, Elder Scrolls7, Uncharted 5 , AC6 are the only games released in the first two weeks of november 201?. Personally I wont be supporting this practice as I require some more stimulus from my gaming experiences. Great as they were while they lasted I feel I am already done with the lineages of the creeds, gows, BFs, MWs, Fifas, Eldar Scrolls, Uncharteds, and others. Yet I really do not want to eventually drop my favourite pastime but I have a suspious fear at the moment in how I perceive the industry is 'progressing'.

Gizmo, you brought up Binary Domain, which I think is a good example of what I feel is a (perceived) problem with the current direction of the industry.

I, like all invested gamers I'm sure, was interested in Binary Domain initially. Then I watched some game play vids around the launch date and I looked at my copy of vanquish (which I have yet to even start a second play through) in my game stash and thought ‘I think I have already bought this game’, albeit under a different name and different cover (maybe I was wrong, but looked damn familiar). I am not looking for a new IP every game (looking forward to Darksiders 2, Borderlands 2, HL3:), AnythingfromFromSoftwaregamenameyournumber) I just want the industry to recognise that its is not just the consumer who should change their practices, the gaming industry has some internal issues to address also if we all want this to be a rewarding activity for us all equally into the future.

tldr: I will just not buy that fourth game & I hope for themselves that they have enough money at release date to purchase the game.:)

binary domain is nothing like vanquish , only thing they share are they are 3rd person shooters :confused:

binary domain is nothing like vanquish , only thing they share are they are 3rd person shooters :confused:

:confused:

richy, I'll assume that you have played BD but do you need to review your understanding of the word 'nothing' in the context of your post. I admit again I have not played the game but I have seen the gameplay vids and it does not take much searching on the net for BD to find such phrases as 'lovechild of Yakuza and Vanquish' or 'best in the genre since Vanquish'.

Gizmo, you brought up Binary Domain, which I think is a good example of what I feel is a (perceived) problem with the current direction of the industry.

I, like all invested gamers I'm sure, was interested in Binary Domain initially. Then I watched some game play vids around the launch date and I looked at my copy of vanquish (which I have yet to even start a second play through) in my game stash and thought ‘I think I have already bought this game’, albeit under a different name and different cover (maybe I was wrong, but looked damn familiar).
    Let me put it like this, writing off Binary Domain for this reason is like writing off Vanquish because it looks like faster paced version of Gears Of War. :)
    I am not looking for a new IP every game (looking forward to Darksiders 2, Borderlands 2, HL3:), AnythingfromFromSoftwaregamenameyournumber) I just want the industry to recognise that its is not just the consumer who should change their practices, the gaming industry has some internal issues to address also if we all want this to be a rewarding activity for us all equally into the future.
    The problem is, with publishers having a finite amount of resources to fund development, and developers relying on these resources for development, then it follows that publishers will concentrate on funding the titles which give them the biggest return. So in this case, why would Activision not task Infinity Ward, Treyarch and/or Sledgehammer to create another CoD when it will sell around 30m copies and generate even more revenue from post-release DLC?

You could make the argument that they could fund titles with smaller budgets from smaller studios and, relatively speaking, make a healthy profit but then you have the counter point from gamers that these games are "sent out to die" with little support from publishers. This support, it seems, is primarily marketing-based, but is also something which is rather expensive. You see the problem with this?

To be perfectly clear, I'm not saying this is a nice situation to be in, as I've posted in the Bayonetta 2 thread I lament this fact, but that's the reality of the situation and, from a business perspective, unless customers change their purchasing habits, it's unlikely to change. That doesn't mean we still won't get some original titles along the way but when it does happen, I feel it's important for gamers to, as the saying generally goes (albeit used generally in the protest context) vote with their wallet and buy them on release for their original RRP, not nine months later for 50-75% off.
    tldr: I will just not buy that fourth game & I hope for themselves that they have enough money at release date to purchase the game.:)
    The reason you'll see opposition to the blanket statement of no more than three games is because when done right, there's no problem with this. Technically speaking the recently released Trials Evolution is the fourth game in the series, should they not have made that? Should Epic not make another Unreal Tournament game (preferably in the vein of UT2K4)? Should EA not make BF4 in two years time? Should Nintendo stop making Mario and Zelda games? All despite the fact that these games have, in the majority of cases, been highly regarded by both fans and critics alike?

Let me put it like this, writing off Binary Domain for this reason is like writing off Vanquish because it looks like faster paced version of Gears Of War. :)

Ah go way will ya! Vanquish looked way better that Gears (and was), BD does not look better than Vanquish (imho). Maybe ......similarish.
    The problem is, with publishers ............ You see the problem with this?

I do, and I hope I don't come across insulting here, but with what I perceive to be your sometimes inflexible defence of the industry I'm not sure that you fully do and I'll try to explain with your next point.

To be perfectly clear, I'm not saying this is a nice situation to be in, as I've posted in the Bayonetta 2 thread I lament this fact, but that's the reality of the situation and, from a business perspective, unless customers change their purchasing habits, it's unlikely to change.

I'll reiterate what I, and others here, have said that the industry needs to have a look at itself and not just look to everyone else for a fix, to problems that, at source, they make the decisions on. During your Bayonetta 2 discussion with richymcdermott, he stated that the first game sold enough for a sequel and you posted that the first game took too long, therefore too costly and they also compounded development cost issues by outsourcing the PS3 development, which no gamer should have purchased as it was completely sub standard. Couple this with the OP article that finished with the comment regarding that Crysis 3 will be contender for best looker ever.

So..... the strawman is now whispering in my ear that you said;) we gamers should 1. pay for their bad budgeting/ development durations 2. pay for their bad choices 3. pay for their polishing dept to....... polish more?

I think this is symptomatic of the industry currently, yet it seems to resolutely choose to ignore. My question now is....do you see the problem here? Your section I quoted above just cannot exist in isolation. The industry needs to have a look at itself and understand the implications of the decisions it is making, which is the key point of source here.

The reason you'll see opposition to the blanket statement of no more than three games is because when done right, there's no problem with this.

:)Sorry, I wasn't really being literal. Of course you cannot have a rule that limits any series to three, particularly a good series (and probably not even a popular bad series, unfortunately with some). Just generally I don't want the industry to 'rock band/ guitar hero' itself to extinction and I don't want gamers to be left with only serialised games choice, which by its nature could result in suffication of new IP.

Eh, are we on topic at all here?

Ah go way will ya! Vanquish looked way better that Gears (and was), BD does not look better than Vanquish (imho). Maybe ......similarish.
    But Binary Domain looks nothing like Vanquish, it looks like a more fun and less brown version of Gears of War.
    I do, and I hope I don't come across insulting here, but with what I perceive to be your sometimes inflexible defence of the industry I'm not sure that you fully do and I'll try to explain with your next point.
    Well the bit you quoted dealt with a rather different point, one which has been put forward by some folk and relies on a simple breakdown in logic as far as I'm concerned. If people make the suggestion that budgets need to be kept under control in order to lessen the risk associated with developing original IPs, then they cannot turn around and complain when the marketing budget suits the scale of the project. Do you not agree?
    I'll reiterate what I, and others here, have said that the industry needs to have a look at itself and not just look to everyone else for a fix, to problems that, at source, they make the decisions on. During your Bayonetta 2 discussion with richymcdermott, he stated that the first game sold enough for a sequel and you posted that the first game took too long, therefore too costly and they also compounded development cost issues by outsourcing the PS3 development, which no gamer should have purchased as it was completely sub standard. Couple this with the OP article that finished with the comment regarding that Crysis 3 will be contender for best looker ever.
    Just to deal with this before continuing, while those factors all affected the situation differently, my main point was the idea of "sold enough for a sequel" cannot apply to all projects equally.
    So..... the strawman is now whispering in my ear that you said;) we gamers should 1. pay for their bad budgeting/ development durations 2. pay for their bad choices 3. pay for their polishing dept to....... polish more?
    Not at all. Gamers need only do only two things as far as I'm concerned, look out for stuff they may like and if they find something, pay for it when it's released. The unfortunate fact is, not enough payed for Bayonetta, Vanquish, Binary Domain et al so we probably won't see further entries. Nearly 30m people paid for CoD so we will. Over 1.5m people paid for a yearly sub for CoD: Elite so it will continue to be pushed and emulated by other companies.

To refer back to my inflexible defense of the industry (:)), many people point out Activision's greed at these releases whereas I simply point out that if people didn't pay for them then they wouldn't make them.

Back to the original point. Now, I'm not saying any of the above games should be aiming for that number of sales. Let's face it, no one in their right minds would think that Sega looked at any of them in their design phase and said "Yes, this game is going to sell as much as Call Of Duty". But at the same time, they probably did look at them (along with the team making them in the case of Platinum and Grasshopper) and say "These guys are going to make a ****ing great game and we think it will make a profit". Now, I'd imagine it did make a profit in the end but given Sega's financial state, perhaps it didn't make enough of a one to justify it.

Binary Domain, on the other hand, sold 20k units in North America soooo, yea, that's slightly different. :)

On a sidenote, two years to make a game like Bayonetta is nothing. Or, to put it all in context, I don't think Platinum could have made Bayonetta in the amount of time where 1.3m sales would have made it a reasonable financial success, PS3 port issue aside. :)
    I think this is symptomatic of the industry currently, yet it seems to resolutely choose to ignore. My question now is....do you see the problem here? Your section I quoted above just cannot exist in isolation. The industry needs to have a look at itself and understand the implications of the decisions it is making, which is the key point of source here.
    In the context of the above, I don't know what you mean, what problem are you referring to? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I agree with Gizmo on this, and to paraphrase yahtzee on his decision to make bf3 and mw3 his two worst games of 2011 "I don't hate them for what they are, I hate them for what they represent."

With game budgets gone into the millions, creating games had become almost formulaic, and is constantly a triumph of style over substance and a complete recycling of the safety genres. As far as I can see, we are in a gaming bubble of mediocre substandard genres and games being prominent (I'm looking at you nfs, gow, mw, bf, eldar scrolls, gta, and YOU NINTENDO! AND ESPECIALLY EA!!!!!!!!!) and innovative titles being reduced by a limited budget or to an indie platform. This needs to be changed, and the only way to do it is to curb stomp budgets... As well as shut down EA... :p

Advertisement