Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban second hand games! says Crytek (kind of)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just on the subject of Binary Domain, the reasons it sold so few copies are many. The demo doesn't help: even as an enthusiastic supporter of Japanese games, it came across poorly. While certainly competent, and suggesting a few potentially engaging mechanics, the generally bland art style and fairly standard shooting system were off-putting. While Vanquish sold itself to me as soon as I pressed the boost button (in spite of generic art design and delivery) Binary Domain did no such thing, and the ambivalent critical reaction meant it was happily skipped with a credit card pleasing lack of consequences.

The only thing that sells less than great Japanese games are mediocre Japanese games, after all. Gamers can't be expected to support games that consistently fail to sell themselves or verbalise their USPs. Binary Domain's problems are far greater than a mere rejection by a cynical mainstream market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Just on the subject of Binary Domain, the reasons it sold so few copies are many. The demo doesn't help: even as an enthusiastic supporter of Japanese games, it came across poorly. While certainly competent, and suggesting a few potentially engaging mechanics, the generally bland art style and fairly standard shooting system were off-putting. While Vanquish sold itself to me as soon as I pressed the boost button (in spite of generic art design and delivery) Binary Domain did no such thing, and the ambivalent critical reaction meant it was happily skipped with a credit card pleasing lack of consequences.

The only thing that sells less than great Japanese games are mediocre Japanese games, after all. Gamers can't be expected to support games that consistently fail to sell themselves or verbalise their USPs. Binary Domain's problems are far greater than a mere rejection by a cynical mainstream market.

I had more fun with binary domain than mass effect 3 thats for sure, i agree the demo was terrible but games like shadow of the damned which didnt even have a demo sold bout same/less than binary domain did and even suda 51 or shinji mikami name of the box couldnt get the game of the shelf. Theres a reason why the japanesse cater to their own first .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

In the 146 words it took you to make this post, you could have been ordering Binary Domain for £12.95. Actually since I linked you directly to the item, you don't need to type Binary Domain so that's 148 words wasted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I spent all my gaming money importing the Grasshopper Manufacture Evangelion rhythm action game last week instead :/

Best way to support the Japanese game industry: import :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mrm

gizmo wrote: »
    In the 146 words it took you to make this post, you could have been ordering Binary Domain for £12.95. Actually since I linked you directly to the item, you don't need to type Binary Domain so that's 148 words wasted.

Dude...fo real? You are not going to be popular around here with Gizmo for promoting such practices as buying games months after release for 75% off......Wait...what?....what?....da fuk!:)

Gizmo, for clarification of my earlier post the problem I was refering to was the industries self inflicted problems (game budgets and production times; sub standard practices to the detriment of the gamer experience; costly presentation choices), which I fear they are currently resolutely ignoring, choosing instead to target external influences for the solutions to their financial difficulties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

mrm wrote: »
    Dude...fo real? You are not going to be popular around here with Gizmo for promoting such practices as buying games months after release for 75% off......Wait...what?....what?....da fuk!:)
    Hey, better late than never. :pac:
    mrm wrote: »
    Gizmo, for clarification of my earlier post the problem I was refering to was the industries self inflicted problems (game budgets and production times; sub standard practices to the detriment of the gamer experience; costly presentation choices), which I fear they are currently resolutely ignoring, choosing instead to target external influences for the solutions to their financial difficulties.
    I'm not really sure how you could describe increasing game budgets and production times as being self inflicted? The core costs and time required per project have risen simply due to the fact that games have become more complex over time, there's not much which can be done to avoid that. You could argue that publishing overheads have reached rather obscene levels (and I'd certainly agree with you) but baseline developer costs at least have a purpose. If you want a good example of what I mean, check out the Rayman Origins credits, it's...rather enlightening. :)

Advertisement