Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing pellets?

Options
  • 25-04-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I know threads have been done on this topic before but I have not found a clear answer.The question is: Is it legal to import lead pellets for an air rifle?
    I am asking because I only want to import 5 pellets as samples for a larger batch,so because it's a very small number I thought it would be different from eg.500 pellets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

im fairly sure if its from the uk they might need a scan of your licence,
    or they might not do it as it would be to much trouble for them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

1 pellet or 5,000 pellets. Under Irish law they are classed as ammo for a firearm (air rifle), and as such need all the same import paperwork, Garda approval, dealer to import for you, appropriate amount on your license, etc. that any other ammo would require.

DO NOT attempt to import even one and think that as it's only one you'll be fine.

If you want them in use a firearms dealer. Have him import them for you. Saves on paperwork, hassle, and keeps everyone happy from a legal point of view.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Ziggieire wrote: »
    im fairly sure if its from the uk they might need a scan of your licence,
    or they might not do it as it would be to much trouble for them

That is exactly right.

A poster on this very forum recently bought a new Olympic-style precision air target pistol and was in need of a few different diameters to try out from 4,48 to 4.51mm. I looked at sending him a hundred of each, but soon realised that it was a total waste of time it was trying to send these teeny lumps of lead to anybody in the RoI. Firstly, I would have had to find a dealer who was willing to receive them. He would then have to agree to be the middle man. On arrival in the RoI they woud have had to have been documented like any kind of firearm ammunition - not from this end, where anybody with the necessary money can buy them unhindered.

What is left of my life, I decided, was just way too short to waste like this.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Thanks for all your answers,that clears it up for me.

Advertisement