Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esta

Options
  • 25-04-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

I'm traveling to us on Friday and have just heard about this ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorizationspacerclear.gif) do I need to have this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Yes. You won't get past check in at the airport without it.

Get it from this site: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

This is the official US government site.

It is valid instantly.
    It costs $14 and is valid for two years.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yes, you can be refused admission to the States without it, but you can get it instantly here. There's also all the information you'll need about it on that site. The cost is $14.

I suggest you do it immediately, they recommend doing so at least 72 hours before travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Are you traveling on the visa waiver program, or do you have a visa? If you are traveling for up to 90 days on the visa waiver then yes, you need it. If you have a visa (immigrant visa, or a J1 or whatever) then no, you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

Just got onto site and applied of ESTA and receiver same. thanks guys all I need to do is get to airport and hope all is good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Did you have to pay the $14?

• Advertisement

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving to US Travel forum as not related to Living in the USA ***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

martin6651 wrote: »
    yes

Thanks for that. Going to the US in June. Must get that organised.

log into site posted by flyer28 https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ saw another and they were charging 58euro for same visa

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Mine runs out around novmember. Can it renewed before than. Also do they email you to let you know that it needs to be renewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can renew it anytime. They do email, but always best to make a note invade the mail doesn't come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

BuffyBot wrote: »
    You can renew it anytime. They do email, but always best to make a note invade the mail doesn't come.

If you renew before the expiry of your last one, does the next 2 year period start on the date of renewal or the date your old one expires?

Renewal date.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

HOW CAN YOU FIND OUT THE EXPIRY DATE IF YOU DIDNT KEEP TRACK OF THE EXACT DATE YOU GOT IT? I WENT TO US IN OCTOBER 2010 SO IT SHOULD BE GOOD FOR A TRIP IN AUGUST 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

HOW CAN YOU FIND OUT THE EXPIRY DATE IF YOU DIDNT KEEP TRACK OF THE EXACT DATE YOU GOT IT? I WENT TO US IN OCTOBER 2010 SO IT SHOULD BE GOOD FOR A TRIP IN AUGUST 2012

Unless your passport expired in the meantime. The ESTA approval is for two years or when your current passport expires, whichever occurs first.

If you're still on the same passport and you're positive that you only applied a couple of weeks or so before you travelled then you're probably ok but for $14 are you prepared to risk it?

Watch the Caps Lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I currently have one as I travel to the US for work.
    However, I plan to travel with my family for hols this year.
    Does everyone need one, including kids?
    What if the kids are on their Mum's passport?

Thanks,

Yes, they do. And everyone (including kids) need their own passports for the USA

Thanks Buffy.

Does that mean that we will have to renew their Mum's passport too?

Thanks,
    Dave.

I wouldn't have thought so

Confirmed with the passport office - we will not have to renew it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Hi all hoping someone might help me. I've just applied for my ESTA travel application and had it authorised but then realised I made a mistake on it. Everything was fine, I said I was born in Ireland, was an irish citizen but said I was living in Isreal. (Saw Ireland when doing the application but obviously ticked the wrong country). It was approved but does anyone think that maybe I should reapply or take the chance with it. I can't find a contact number to contact anyone about it.

Just go into it again and 'update existing application' or whatever it is called. I can't see there being a problem unless you didn't write down the number

It won't let me change that information. I kept numbers and printed stuff. I got up my details but it won't let me edit.

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    It won't let me change that information. I kept numbers and printed stuff. I got up my details but it won't let me edit.
    I don't know then. I wonder if you applied again would it throw up some issue as you've just completed an application. It'll cost you another $14 as well though.

I know I thought that as well. I'd be nervous chancing my arm with the one I have. Thanks for your reply!!!!

I've just reapplied, it cancelled the previous, cost me $14 not to concentrate on what I was doing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bugaboo1821

Hi can anyone tell me if you can pay the fee with laser, visa debit or a prepaid MasterCard?

Hi can anyone tell me if you can pay the fee with laser, visa debit or a prepaid MasterCard?
    You definitely can with visa debit anyway. I doubt you can use laser as that's just an Irish thing and I've no idea about the prepaid mastercard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Bugaboo1821

You definitely can with visa debit anyway. I doubt you can use laser as that's just an Irish thing and I've no idea about the prepaid mastercard

Thanks Jack Presley it only mentions credit cards on the site :)

Advertisement