Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking/jogging in mullingar

Options
  • 25-04-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

<details removed as per users request>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

get the number plate next time and go to the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

If it happens again get the reg number and go to the Guards with it, doesn't matter if it's one man or ten different men doing it, report them all, in my opinion anyway.

As for walking/jogging, what about the main street? Obviously you'd need to get from Ballinderry to the main street, I can't recommend a route for that area as I don't know the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

As for walking/jogging, what about the main street? Obviously you'd need to get from Ballinderry to the main street, I can't recommend a route for that area as I don't know the area.

:eek:The main street? oh right. No don't do that, I'm from Mullingar moved away a few years ago, I used to go for walks and never got any hassle except for when I got too far out like near the lakes, not safe on your own. But I've always found the place really safe to go walking around on my own otherwise, I used to take the Tesco to Balinderry up the hill, down and back towards town by the pet store, never any bother, then I would go through the industrial estate rather than the town. But Balinderry through the industrial estate towards Green park end of town is lovely and quiet.

The canal is good in the morning but I wouldn't go too far away from the town

Come the evening time you have dopey lad(s) driving around and every so often you might get a beep or a shout but you just have to get thicker skin and focus on your exercise if you don't seem phased by it they'll get bored but its very strange that this is happening in the morning, I think it could be the same person and I would be scared by that.. in the mornings that is bizare, take the reg and if you ignore them and they keep harassing you stand there and call the gaurds. Say you're being harrased and being followed on numerous occasions and you don't feel safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

saa wrote: »
    :eek:The main street? oh right. No don't do that
    No lol sorry, I meant I didn't know Ballinderry or the surrounding areas, I suggested Dee would need to get from Ballinderry to the main street, but I couldn't suggest a route from Ballinderry to the main street because I don't know the routes around Ballinderry.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

dee. wrote: »

I walk my dogs most days around Mullingar, sometimes around the town - sometimes further a field.

I am not sure how far you go but here are some routes:-

(1) From Ballinderry walk towards the roundabout between the Greyhound Stadium/Daly's car wash. Go thru the industrial estate (Clonmore), continue until you come to a roundabout which has a sign for the recycling centre - turn left. Continue over the new Joe Dolan, turn left and it'll bring you back to Daly's car wash.

Walking duration: about 50 minutes

(2) As above but instead of turning left for the recycling centre, continue straight. At the next roundabout turn right this will bring you back into the town via Patrick Street.

Walking duration: over 1 hour

(3) As above again. Instead of turning right for town, continue straight. You are now on the road known as the "C-Link". On the second roundabout turn right, this will bring you to Tesco's and you are back in town again.

Walking duration: over 1 hour

(4) As above again. Instead of turning for Tesco, continue on straight - keep going past the hospital until you come to Lough Sheever industrial estate - you'll know it as it's full of car dealerships. You can do a loop and head back to town. (If you are crossing the road be careful as it can be busy.)

Walking duration: over 90 minutes

There ya go. The above would be the main routes around Mullingar. Going thru the Industrial Estates and walking along the C-Link road isn't very scenic but the paths are double-width and the kerbs are deeper than normal - if that makes a difference.

I use to walk along the canal both in town and out in the countryside. I gave up on the canal:

* one of my dogs got attacked by gang of unmentionables
    * sometimes people gather under the bridges to drink
    * dogs off lead
    * owners not picking up so every 100 yards there is crap

If you have a car you could walk along the 'bog road' near Leddestown, Lough Ennell - about 2 miles from Mullingar. Only problem road is narrow and cars drive very fast. The downsides of most of the lakes is that no where to go for a walk.

The best place to walk in Mullingar is Belvedere. €85 for annual membership. 5km walk/jog through woods along the shore of Lough Ennell. Beautiful place. And you can have a coffee in the cafe afterwoods.

You say you jog? Why not join Mullingar Harriers (near Grange/Patrick Street). Very good club. They meet up every week and run along the C-Link. They also run in Belvedere on the w/e's - they get a reduced annual membership to Belvedere.

Happy exercising! And welcome to Mullingar!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Dee,

The Harriers Road League starts up next Weds (1st May), there'll be a 5k run around belvedere every Weds night in May. Its €25 for the four nights. hopefully this year the weather will be better than last years. I'm not a serious runner I walk/jog but its nice to see an improvement every week :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement