Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use Pixmania.ie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.67
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.99
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ)|€71.26
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€54.05
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€31.61
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€105.47
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€17.73
    Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset|€24.94
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€117.86
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€517.57

Pixmania are a bit pricey, good for single items in their sales though.

You're missing a hard drive :D

Unless that is, you already have one :eek:

But if you don't that puts you more expensive than this build, and this has a better CPU, and twice as much RAM (not that you need it).
    All you need is a keyboard off somewhere else and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Have HDD,DVD -RW.

Won't be using HWS.

I'd prefer to get a quad core over intel's dual as he'll be gaming (BF3 mainly) which uses all of my 6 cores. Even in benches I've seen its about even between them.

If they could stretch I'd push for the 2500k but they can't,the original budget was 400 but I got it upped.

As for ram,like I said a budget where the bare minimum I can get away with means 4GB, maybe another 4GB down the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Have HDD,DVD -RW.

I'd prefer to get a quad core over intel's dual as he'll be gaming (BF3 mainly) which uses all of my 6 cores. Even in benches I've seen its about even between them.
    Bit-Tech:

It didn't matter whether the CPU was running at 3.2GHz, 3GHz or even 2GHz; our benchmarks returned the same results. Even when we dropped the CPU down from four cores to only two, the in-game frame rates proved annoyingly stubborn. While BF3 will load itself across all four CPU cores when presented with a quad-core CPU, it seems to have little benefit when it comes to performance, running just as well with much lower clock speeds, or on a dual-core CPU.
    i3 2120 > 965
    CPU + mobo is cheaper for intel as well.

Thanks Jarren, I'll leave it up to my brother but Id say he'll risk it as it means a 6870 instead of a 6850.

I'm after spending a a good hour reading through different reviews and users thoughts.

What I took out of it was that while the 2120 is faster in games it doesn't pull leaps and bounds,as in its not noticeable in real world gaming. (4-6fps)
    And it loses out on most application where 4 cores can be utilized.

And seeing as this will be mainly a family PC,then comes gaming I think the trade off is worth it.

Worth noting aswell once overclocked to Phenom 975 figures it seems to equal and surpass.
    http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23615
    GameBench-1.jpg
    GameChart-1.jpg

• Advertisement

What "family PC'ing" activities use programs that we're optimised for more cores? I don't think google chrome, iTunes or Microsoft office really care :D.

Really, what I'm trying to say is the i3 + mobo is cheaper, and (arguably) better, not to mention upgrade paths.

Oh and the i3 2120 is 3.3 ghz as opposed to the 2100's 3.1, which puts it ahead of the other phenom I'd say.

Photoshop is actually the only one at the minute that I know of but he wants to record videos and to post online,so it will help with the video software.

And there'll be no upgrade path aside from a new GPU in 2+ years. Even by then I'm sure my brother will have his own PC. The current PC is 5 years old and only for its about to blow it would continue to do.

Also,I've read user reviews of both (one or two actually had both in different systems) and they don't believe there is a real world difference while gaming,some saying it ran better with the 975.

Should never have put up the build list:P

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Just wanted to say a thing about pixmania.

In the past, i have heard so much horror stories about pixmania. Especially how awful their customer service is. I still hear people complaining about their services once in a while. However i have bought quite a few items of them and i've never had any problems. That being said, the most expensive item i bought of them was 2 cameras ( altogether around 250-300 euros). the delivery was spot on and didnt take more than 4-5 working days. Once i even got an item (computer speakers) delivered in 3 working days with normal delivery charge. That being said, their items are from central or eastern europe ( i believe). the plugs that they come with dont suit the irish ones ( they are 2 pins and we need 3 pins). They usually send an adapter but its crap. I almost always end up buying my own 2 to 3 pin adapters. The packaging is excellent too.

I have never bought any computer components of them. However i saw this SSD drive at a very low price. I might buy it of them at some stage.

Hope it helps ! Peace..

Advertisement