Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance Review

Options
  • 25-04-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I've had a performance review that I do not agree with. My boss, who is leaving the team, has asked me to sign off on it.

I'm now contemplating whether I should sign off on it and what does it mean if I do. Does it indicate that I agree with it?

Would it be in my interest to request a meeting with my team leader advising her of my concern and possibly request an extension period which would allow my new boss to assess my performance?

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

poollad wrote: »
    I've had a performance review that I do not agree with. My boss, who is leaving the team, has asked me to sign off on it.

I'm now contemplating whether I should sign off on it and what does it mean if I do. Does it indicate that I agree with it?

Would it be in my interest to request a meeting with my team leader advising her of my concern and possibly request an extension period which would allow my new boss to assess my performance?

Advice appreciated.

It really depends on the company policy... I've seen where signing just acknowledges delivery rather than acceptance, but I've also seen it taken to be acceptance, the devil is in the detail..

I wouldn't be signing it until you are satisfied your concerns have been heard, and probably by someone who is staying in the organisation...

Start by first documenting your concerns and go over them with your immediate manager. If that isn't to your satisfaction ask to escalate your appeal up to the next review level of management.. If needs be go to the next level up yourself if you think your not getting a fair hearing..

I would caveat all that advice by first advising you to go through the review with stark honesty to yourself and see was it genuinely unfair, if there isn't incorrect information in it I'd say escalating it will be futile.. Nothing as bad as sitting down to an appeal case for it to be based on bad feelings rather than substantiated hard facts, it just makes the employee look like a moaney hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

poollad wrote: »

Advice appreciated.

If it is paper copy that he is requesting that you sign, you can put a note with your signature indicating that you do not agree with the review.

Beware, not signing it at all, refusal to follow company policy could mean that the manager can invoke the disciplinary policy and make a bad situation worse.

Or your manager be insulted and could add a note to the review indicating that you refused to sign it. Imagine the next manager reviewing the document with a note attached "x refused to sign off on his review in the hope that my incoming replacement would not be aware of his poor performance, this is just another example of his poor relationship with the management team and his generally uncoperatice attitude to his work......etc.. After all he is leaving an what does he care?

Read your HR policy, seek advice from HR, play the game and minimize the damage to your career. I have to ask myself, if he is leaving why would he bother to give you a bad review, no manager looks forward to giving one?

As a previous poster suggested take a hard look and fix any problems that there are, that is probably the best way to greet your new manager, with a development plan.

BTW:

• As a manager I have never given a good review where the person disagreed with my findings.:)
    • As a manager I have never given a bad review where the person agreed with my findings.:mad:

But that is life.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

• As a manager I have never given a good review where the person disagreed with my findings.:)
    • As a manager I have never given a bad review where the person agreed with my findings.:mad:

Very well put...

no manager looks forward to giving one?
    Well... maybe the odd one when it's really, really deserved :o:o

Advertisement