Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to stay near Queens mid-week

Options
  • 25-04-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Do any of you have any suggestions of places to stay near Queens? I don't want anything pose just something thats alright* as places go hotel/ B&B for one night mid-week. I don't need parking as doing public transport, most likely the bus.
    Do places take euro? Would it be wise to pay in Euro/ Sterling? Could I expect to pay long weekend rates if I was staying next Wednesday?

Thanks,
    Fi.

* probably cheapest really but comfortable beds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Would a hostel do? This place is good - http://www.ibackpacker.co.uk/belfast-hostel/index.php

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fidero

Hi Penfailed,
    Thanks for your reply. I am going up for an interview so a Hostel might not be the best place to get a good nights sleep & going to have an expensive suit with me also. I am unemployed so thus prefer to save the money & the interview is on early thus why I can't travel up on the day.
    Am I making any sense?!?! Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I would prefer to find out a place that someone has stayed rather than randomly staying somewhere. I think I am quite liking the idea of B&B type as its a bit more personal but open to suggestions.

Thanks,
    Fiachra.

The en-suite double bedroom in the hostel is only £20 and it's about five minutes walk from Queens. I've stayed in one of the dorms when going to a gig in Queen's Union. It's a good spot. Sorry I don't know of any B&Bs in the area.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Think you're unlikely to find a B+B in that area of Belfast.

Queens is a 5 minute taxi from Belfast city centre (will only cost you a few quid).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I havent stayed there in a while, but Benedicts hotel used to be good and quite reasonable.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I would say I will take a shot in the dark with where I will stay. It's currently looking like a B&B with an unfriendly person but nice looking place where I will end up taking up keep for the night.

Penfailed: I don't want the hassle of having to carry food with me for the hostel so I think that is out, early start of around 09:00* so it will need to be a plain sailing morning but thanks all the same!!

awec: There are B&B options, I will update this posting once I am back from my travels with the info.

Northern Monkey: Benedicts is relatively too expensive but thanks all the same for the suggestion.

Thanks,
    Fi.

* I would consider it if it wasn't such any early start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Just thinking, there is a days hotel within a 5 minute walk of queens, it would be basic enough, but I think it is about £40 midweek.

Hi Northern Monkey,
    I seem to be either talking 32/ 35 Sterling all in* at the moment. The only thing I have heard to be possibly cheaper was Premier Inn by one of the guys in the "City Break" thread (if not mistaken) but don't know if that includes breakfast/ not.

Thanks once again,
    Fi.

* two different places

fidero wrote: »
    Penfailed: I don't want the hassle of having to carry food with me for the hostel so I think that is out, early start of around 09:00* so it will need to be a plain sailing morning but thanks all the same!!

Just so you know - there's free tea/coffee and breakfast cereal in the hostel :)

Hi guys,
    The place I stayed in the end was Windermere-Guesthouse. It cost 32 Sterling for a single room shared bathroom. The room was very small (galley size/ type) & no more room than the bear basics. Room consisted of: Single bed, small wardrobe, sink, bedside cabinet, TV (bad aerial reception) & chair. The breakfast was great but the heating was terrible, it was on from 18:00 until I asked for it to be turned off. The radiator knob was broken thus couldn't adjust it myself. Nice quiet area & I would say a good area to booth. One thing to watch out for if traveling down University Rd -> Malone Rd there is a missing street sign** which caught me out thus ended up walking for ages a bit confused but popped out a saved mapped on my MacBook in some park which got me right back on track!! The other place I considering was Citilodge for 35 but it got really dodgy reviews!!!
    The website I found both places on was Gotobelfast.com
    The interview was too specialized for what I know about the area of the job so don't expect to be back up for another 12 year unless the Scottish 2014 referendum win* changes things.
    A big thanks to one & all. If anyone wants to ask me any questions fell free to do so.

Ádh mór,
    Fi.

* I am confident that will be the case!!! Hope such comment doesn't get me banned :-0
    ** No such problem on Lisburn Rd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement