Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referencing (What an exciting topic!)

Options
  • 25-04-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

So, I'm doing a nice factual essay and there's 2 books whose information I am mostly using. How do I reference this in the text? Do I need to reference the work at every point that I take part of the information or should I just put the two books in my bibliography and leave it out completely in the text

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

What subject is the essay in?Each school has its own citation style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

It's a history essay, so I'm using Harvard referencing.

Thanks for the help so far

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Always reference what you're using it looks better and fills out the word count:P Use footnotes when you quote or paraphrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Definitely reference it in the text, otherwise the lecturer will have no idea which part is yours or not. If I am using a book multiple times I reference it once in the bilbography and when referencing in text I include the pages. e.g. "author name(year, pg number felt blaha blah".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

In text citations (for history) are referenced using footnotes rather than 'author name, date:page number etc.

Examples:
    First citation of a source in essay:
    David Fitzpatrick, Irish Emigration, 1801 -1921 (Dublin, 1990), 9.

Subsequent citations of the same source:
    Fitzpatrick, Irish Emigration, 1.

This same book would appear in the bibliography as follows

Fitzpatrick, D., Irish Emigration 1801 – 1921. (Dublin, 1990).

If you are directly quoting use quotation marks and at the end of the sentence before the full stop insert the footnote (use referencing tab in ms word).
    If you are paraphrasing then you don't need to use quotation marks but at the end of the sentence/paragraph you need to insert a footnote.

You really should use more than 2 sources and your bibliography should be in alphabetical order.

Fitzpatrick argued/contends/notes/according to Fitzpatrick etc

More info here: http://www.ucd.ie/historyarchives/undergraduateprogrammes/essayssubmissions/stylesheet/

• Advertisement

You really should use more than 2 sources and your bibliography should be in alphabetical order...

Oh I know that. I did! I had several books/papers/articles that I only needed to mention once but I had two which I needed to quote several times and honestly had no idea what the correct procedure was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Sorry, the book title there should be italicised - just copied them over from an essay I did and the seem to have lost the formatting on the way.

Sounds like you did great. Now the exams :eek:

I also forgot to thank everyone for their help!

I appreciate it :)

Advertisement