Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mystery barrel

Options
  • 25-04-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi lads a while ago a friend of mine got his .223 rebarreled.
    The gun shop sent it off and thats all he really was told he doesnt know anything about the barrel only being told its 1-7 twist.
    I found a picture online with a stamp which is almost identical if memory serves me correct to the one on his barrel.
    Anyone able to shed some light on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Without sounding nasty, did he not ask for a specific make, brand, contour, etc? How does a rifle get re-barreled without the owner knowing what he is getting?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

He asked for a heavy target barrel and this is what he got
    was told some lad who does all their work done it but no names given he was owed money from the shop and got a new barrel as payment ,,
    i know it sounds weird but its the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

johnfaul wrote: »
    He asked for a heavy target barrel and this is what he got
    was told some lad who does all their work done it but no names given he was owed money from the shop and got a new barrel as payment ,,
    i know it sounds weird but its the truth
    Does it shoot ???

yes quite well, for the small amount of rounds through it <150 it shoots well under an inch, i know this can be achieved with factory rifles.
    He had a problem with the t8 he had on it with the rear bush not being fitted to the new heavier barrel it was affecting accuracy but he changed that to an atec and the groups are consistant sub inch with out a rear bag at 100 yards, mind though its no 1/4 moa either

yes quite well, for the small amount of rounds through it <150 it shoots well under an inch, i know this can be achieved with factory rifles.
    He had a problem with the t8 he had on it with the rear bush not being fitted to the new heavier barrel it was affecting accuracy but he changed that to an atec and the groups are consistant sub inch with out a rear bag at 100 yards, mind though its no 1/4 moa either
    Sounds like a good job .
    Mystery barrel ..maybe !
    Is the gunsmith a Mystery ?
    Was it done here in ireland ?

• Advertisement

Doesnt know the gunsmith but stamp on the barrel is the same as the one in the picture.
    Yes it was done in Ireland.
    Could have been Northern Ireland or southern dont know which

Doesnt know the gunsmith but stamp on the barrel is the same as the one in the picture.
    Yes it was done in Ireland.
    Could have been Northern Ireland or southern dont know which
    Only a handful of guys gunsmithing in ireland .
    1 x Waterford-Kilkenny
    1 x Wexford
    2 x Athlone
    2x in the North .
    Cant be hard to find out who built it ,imo.
    Best of luck either way !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

would 1-7 twist be abit too great for a 223? that means faster bullet twist am i right? I'm only guessing don't know much about twists in barrels. Heard before if its true or not that too much twist can be a bad job?? I wouldn't know

4200fps wrote: »
    would 1-7 twist be abit too great for a 223? that means faster bullet twist am i right? I'm only guessing don't know much about twists in barrels. Heard before if its true or not that too much twist can be a bad job?? I wouldn't know
    1-7 twist would be fine for heavy match .223 rounds but not sure if there is off the shelf match rounds much heavier than the Hornady 75 gr which i have seen shoot well out of a stock CZ 1-9 twist .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I've not found anything heavier than 77gr in factory ammunition -

Federal Gold Medal match - 5.56x45mm NATO (.223) 77gr 2750fps

As the site from which this information was obtained is basically a law-enforcement counter-sniping site, you'll have to do your own research as the subject is not permitted on boards.ie.

In any event, it is just as important to find out the dimensions of the leade - this can cause problems when you try using the longer bullets if you ever get anything bigger than 77gr to shoot. Heavier usually means longer, too.

As for heavier bullets, many target shooters worldwide shoot 90gr Berger and JLK bullets in handloads, as you will be able to do when you have reloading sorted out.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The gun shop sent it off and thats all he really was told

Irish customer service strikes again :D

He should know what he's paying for or walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Does the barrel have the caliber stamped/engraved or similar anywhere on it ?

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Seen that stamp before, I am sure absolute first class work. Had a rifle in the workshop with the same stamp recently.
    1/7 in 223 can be very finicky. Even my 1/8 t3 is very picky what it gets fed. My old cz with 1/12 would almost anything under 60gr well.
    edi

ejg wrote: »
    Seen that stamp before, I am sure absolute first class work. Had a rifle in the workshop with the same stamp recently.
    1/7 in 223 can be very finicky. Even my 1/8 t3 is very picky what it gets fed. My old cz with 1/12 would almost anything under 60gr well.
    edi
    Thats good someone has seen one :) i think it says "ngss" on the stamp.
    Do you have any idea who would have done the work?
    I dont think there are any markings on the barrel maybe on its underside but ive never seen it with the stock removed

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

As far as I know the "stamp" comes from Francie Mc Fadden.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

ejg wrote: »
    As far as I know the "stamp" comes from Francie Mc Fadden.
    edi

Any one know where Francie Mc Fadden gunsmith is based ??.
    Any body on here have experience with this gunsmith ??

Advertisement