Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Problem

• 25-04-2012 9:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. OK So on Thursday last week my Biology class went to the Zoo. For the ecology trip. anyways. I couldn't go cuz that day I had a big Hospital Appointment. Now our teacher gave us some sort of sheet to fill out. I filled out most of it cuz it was easy but now I am stuck on this part. Can anyone tell me what to do please? It counts for 20& of my summer test.

Quadrat Study Method:

Describe how you carried out your % cover survey

Describe how you carried out your % frequency study

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Firstly a zoo isn't a right place for the Ecology trip.

It needs to be somewhere that fits into grassland, beach, forest etc.

Anyway, the quadrat is where you throw the metal grid behind you at random, then mark down every plant/animal it covers (even if there are none) and roughly count the number of each. Qualative means the different kinds of animals/plants there and quantative is the amount of them there.

You fill in a table and find percentage cover etc. It should tell you how to do that in the book.

Did you do the quadrat thing? I can't see how this would work at a zoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Percentage cover is where you estimate the percentage that the organism occupies in the quadrat. You might say 10% whereas someone else might say 15% hence why it's subjective.
    On the other hand, the frequency cover is where you basically "tick" the box if the organism was present in the quadrat. For example if grass is present then tick, dandelion tick etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

A Leaving Cert thread entitled 'Huge Problem' referring to 20% of a summer test... Sorry I just found that amusing. :P

Carry on! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ismisekatie

do you own a biology book? im sure there is a little section called 'mandatory activity_' in the ecology section :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

.. A zoo? that's really odd since most classes doing the Woodland Habitat or whatever it is called in my school just went to the nature park forest thing near my school! Haha. Oh and there should be examples of the Cover survey & Frequency study thing in your text-book, no? (:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 SpirantSpem

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Firstly a zoo isn't a right place for the Ecology trip.

It needs to be somewhere that fits into grassland, beach, forest etc.

We went to the zoo in 6th year too! It's an ecology programme run by the zoo in the Phoenix Park and not actually in the zoo. We did all of our studies across the road in an area of grassland.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

Get your notes from someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

just make it up fgs

Advertisement