Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Motorcycling the big question is what bike to buy

• 25-04-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have completed the theory test, got my learner permit, and I have one more lesson to complete my IBT

My instructor has me on a Honda CB500 and says that given my age and attitude to riding that I should not go for a 250cc but a 500cc or 600cc, that's about as much information as I can get from him and I feel he doesn't want to get involved in giving direct advice on bike selection. Which is fare enough I'm paying him to teach me to ride and not shop for motorcycles.

I am 43 years old, a little over 6' tall with boots on and about 13 stone in weight. I already have a full licence in all other categories since 1991, just the A to get now.

My budget is around €3,000 maybe €3,500 and I like the upright seating position of the CB500. The bike I'm looking for is one that will be good to learn on, I particularly like the look of the Yamaha FZ6 which is a 600cc bike.

I have called to a few motorcycle shops and one in particular had 02 and 03 500cc bikes Honda and Suzuki which looked like to me were ex currier bikes and the asking price was between €2500 and €3000. I sat on the bikes just to see what they were like for weight. I suppose it was good to see what not to buy.

Any tips on what bikes I should be looking at and what I should avoid would be much appreciated. Also any tips on inspecting bikes would be a help.

I know from looking at youtube that if the sprockets and chains are changed the bike would have high mileage around 100k, would that be right??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bandit, Fazer, Hornet, Street Triple, ER6 or SV. If you want bigger than 600 try a Z750, Speed Triple or an 848.

Any bike can be restricted, so sit on as many as possible to see what feels comfortable for you. You'll be riding 25kw for 2 years so the full power of the bike doesn't matter get one you like and are comfortable on.

It'll be a rare bike that gets to 100k. Depending on the bike and more importantly the owners maintenance a chain can last year's or weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Del2005 wrote: »
    It'll be a rare bike that gets to 100k. Depending on the bike and more importantly the owners maintenance a chain can last year's or weeks.

All great advise given, on a side note my mate sold his 00 Fireblade with 160k miles on the clock, engine still going strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

My Bandit has 58K kilometers on it, got it new in August 07 and is used daily for commuting. Easy enough to put the miles up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All great advise given, on a side note my mate sold his 00 Fireblade with 160k miles on the clock, engine still going strong.
    RosieJoe wrote: »
    My Bandit has 58K kilometers on it, got it new in August 07 and is used daily for commuting. Easy enough to put the miles up ;)

I said it was rare not impossible:D I know loads of high mileage bikes, they where all couriered. But I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one of them when there are plenty of good low mileage bikes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Redkite

Thanks for your help I will keep looking. I have 3 more hours to do to complete my IBT. I'm not going to rush into buying a bike.

The Honda CB500 that I'm training on has 77,000km and it is a bit difficult to select neutral. The instructor said that it is all the abuse it has gotten over the years.

Are there any tips on what to look for so as to avoid high mileage bikes. Wear on the brake disks and chain & sprockets. How would I know what to look for with the engine

Thanks for your help so far I can narrow down the actual bikes I should be looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Redkite wrote: »
    Thanks for your help I will keep looking. I have 3 more hours to do to complete my IBT. I'm not going to rush into buying a bike.

The Honda CB500 that I'm training on has 77,000km and it is a bit difficult to select neutral. The instructor said that it is all the abuse it has gotten over the years.

Are there any tips on what to look for so as to avoid high mileage bikes. Wear on the brake disks and chain & sprockets. How would I know what to look for with the engine

Thanks for your help so far I can narrow down the actual bikes I should be looking at.

In all fairness, the CB500 has been used constantly by basic trainees so I'm not surprised to see it a bashed.

As said, the chain and sprockets or brake pads cannot be used to determine mileage as different types of bikers/riders/driving will affect these.

Look for general wear and tear, condition of the saddle/paintwork/tank. You could look at the exhaust from the engine down to see what nick it's in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Redkite wrote: »
    Thanks for your help I will keep looking.

Buy the cleanest, lowest mileage model of the bike you want and don't be afraid to pay a little extra for a clean one from an enthusiast. Either a GS500 or a CB500 would be my recommendation, but there is a fair amount of choice in this sector. Avoid older VFR/RVF/CBR400's unless you want a race-rep and know what you are getting into.

Fazer, Hornet and Bandit 600's are just a little too heavy for starting out on and its worth spending a year or two on a smaller bike so you get used to handling it at lower speeds.

Have fun!

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Buy the cleanest, lowest mileage model of the bike you want and don't be afraid to pay a little extra for a clean one from an enthusiast. Either a GS500 or a CB500 would be my recommendation, but there is a fair amount of choice in this sector. Avoid older VFR/RVF/CBR400's unless you want a race-rep and know what you are getting into.

Fazer, Hornet and Bandit 600's are just a little too heavy for starting out on and its worth spending a year or two on a smaller bike so you get used to handling it at lower speeds.

Have fun!

'cptr

I was three stone lighter starting off on a ER6 and never had a problem. I think he can manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Another vote for a good clean well looked after CB500 here. If you can find the right one, it'll do almost everything. They are a bit underpowered if you need to use the motorways a lot, but apart from that they are hard to fault. They'll forgive clumsy inputs more than a Bandit or a Fazer, and still have enough soul to keep you interested when your experience builds up. They're comparatively cheap to run, and easy to service. Start with a good one, and it's hard to go wrong.

If you're doing a lot of riding, or using motorways regularly, I'd recommend something a bit bigger like a Bandit 600, Fazer 600, Hornet 600 or similar.

You're spoiled for choice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

+1 to Fazer, Hornet etc.

However, you also need to consider who would insure you and on what. Some bikes are more insurance friendly than others. From my own experience of going thru similar situation last year, I was quoted around 700 euro for Fazer 600, SV 650 and when I tried smaller engine bikes like Hornet 250, CB400 etc the quote was approximately the same. And most insurers wouldn't insure me on popular bikes like CBR 600F or VStorm DL650. In the end I decided on an older Fazer 600 (not the newer FZ6) and never regretted the decision (nice upright position, great fuel efficiency, some wind protection for motorway riding etc). Having said that, I wouldn't rule out 250cc bikes either - new Honda CBR250R, while slightly out of your budget, is very fuel efficient, and.. well who wouldn't like a brand new bike!

You seems to be doing all the right things like checking out bikes on shops, researching online / youtube etc - so just to give you few more ideas, since you like upright bikes, have a look into BMW F650GS, Fazer 600 (FZS600, up to 03), FZ6 (post 03), VStorm DL650, Hornet 600, Kawasaki ER6F.

Also, you are probably aware of the licensing laws / changes coming in next year - so bike restrictions etc might change. You may want to read up on it too.

Ride safe!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I said it was rare not impossible:D I know loads of high mileage bikes, they where all couriered. But I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one of them when there are plenty of good low mileage bikes available.

My Fazer has done over 60k+ kilometers. Never couriered, but commuting 100 kms daily! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Redkite

I have sat on a good few bikes today, I really like the Kawasaki er6 and there was one in the shop for 3700, that includes fitting a restricter, the bike is a 09 but I'm not mad about the green colour. they are 7700 new.

At a different shop they hand a bandit 650 which was 2005 imported from the north with 9700km, it was very clean no ware anywhere not even on the foot pegs. they said they would fit new tyres and heated grips if I paid the €90 to purchase the grips ( a bit haggling required if I was to buy) they where looking for €3500 for it???

From the reviews the er6 is a much better bike. The bandit looks good it's red in colour but the reviews class it in a lower leage to the faser, er6, triumph etc more in completion to the Honda CBF600 and the mpg is only around 50 at best a lot less I believe than the er6

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

i have a nice low mileage fazer600 not yet advertised for sale, its an 02 silver blue 16k on clock not restricted but i believe its a straightforward job on these...2300 buys it. pic

Advertisement