Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape 2012 - Albertville - Toussier

• 25-04-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

OK, so signed up for the Etape. Now getting freaked out about the training. I'm almost 41, 6'1" / 90kg. Cheapo lidl scales indicates 11 - 14% body fat. Bike gearing is a compact double, 50/34 - 12/27.

I'm on a road bike constanly since Jan 2011 - that's 5 days a week in and out of work (28k round trip). I can do door to door in half an hour on a good day. Done spins almost every weekend over the past year - some alone, some in a group. Typically 100k - terrain flat (where I'll go harder, say 30km/hr average), some mixed (climbs / decents).

This year, I knuckeld down properly. Here's my typical weekend on top of my 5 day commute -

Hills

Heading up the Sally Gap almost every weekend from Tallaght up the Embankment through Manor Kilbride - I can do the Sally Gap comfortably this way, staying in the saddle all the way. Will hit some more serious hills this weekend - talking about the Wicklow Gap, Shay Elliott etc - will see how weather goes. Have done the Bohernabreena from the reservoir to Stocking Hill up that really steep bit - stayed in the saddle for most, kept going without stopping.

Have carried on through the Sally Gap, down to ROundwood, Powerscoout and back to home via Enniskerry

Flats

Did 100k Dublin - Tullamore solo sub 3.5 hours Easter Sunday, ok it's flat but against a manky headwind

Sportives

Tour de Foothills - found this ok, went fairly hard up to Donard, managed the hills without too much stress, went hard on the way back to Naas, time rolling 3:29.

Copper Coast Sportive - Did this last weekend, stayed with the main group from Waterford - Dungarvan, it's the coast route so hilly enough. Then went hard from Dungarvan back to Waterford - up the Pike (5% average apparently) at a fair clip, then full out on the N25 - stayed with the main group at 40 - 45 km/hr, then dropped back but kept them in sight to the town. Didn't feel totally spent after it. Average speed 30km/hr according to the computer. Rolling time 3:18

Future Training

Signed up for the Orwell Randonee and looking forward to it - this will be a marker as to how I'm fixed for a mainly hilly course. A little nervous about it, cos it's only 8 odd weeks before the Etape.

Also have a 100 miler planned mid-May. Will give the Wicklow 200 a go. And the Mount Leinster! Glutton for punishment.

Will be getting out mid-week as work permits - maybe a 50k spin or so, try take in a few hills, or do a hilly circuit around home - Knockmaroon / Somerton etc at the Strawberry beds

I'm reading stuff online about the Etape and seeing mixed stories / blogs - some guys swear it's the hardest thing they've ever done, which I'm under no illusion about the epicness of it and the demands on the body / mind, others saying prepration has paid off and they completed it reasonably comfortable - average Joe cyclists like myself! Now, you're never going to emulate the Alps in the Wicklow hills, but anyone any feedback on how I'm doing? I'll be starting to concentrate a lot more on hills, honing my technique / cadence to try and tick over on long climbs seated as much as I can.

Any feedback / pointers would be welcome! The sleepless nights have set in in earnest:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Hi. Did the tourmalet etape in 2010. Similar height and build to yourself.....85kg, 192cm. My training was mostly week night intervals on the turbo and 1 weekend 100k+ spin in wicklow. Never did hill repeats etc.

At the time I would have thought that it was the hardest thing I ever did...much harder than my rowing career, mainly because of the duration.....9hrs and sustained intensity.

I remember at the time thinking that the only thing I wished I did differently was TT type intervals....eg 20 mins to 1 hr of sustained effort at treshold. The hills really are very long and take about 1hr to climb. Short intervals, either on the turbo or in the form of Irish hill repeats, arent long enough to replicate.......enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Thanks for the reply Ryder - do you mind me asking what sort of base did you start from fitness wise? Experienced cyclist, did you / do you race?

How long on the turbo? Don't have one myself, but will be getting into mid-week spins - perhas work on endurance. Yeah, not sure about hill repeats, but will be definitely getting more hill miles in the legs.....

Have hear about the intervals - pelnty of advice out there - warmups / full pelt / warm down and repeat a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

had a log here in 2010 about it.....basically did 3 X 1hr turbo sessions mid week and one weekend 3hr club spin. From march did club league racing once a week. Did maybe 2 6hr spins in total and no sportives.

Had no problem with distance or time in the saddle.....just the hills. Take about an hour to climb at treshold and I think that 3 X 20min treshold pieces or an hour long TT session would be good prep in the weeks leading up. In between the hills there is a good break and you can get carried along in the groups.

Finally sleep.....with 2 young kids and work I get maybe 5hrs a night which affects performance. The full nights sleep I got before the event prob made the biggest difference

Ok, progress report.

Did the Orwell spin a few weeks back. Took a break on the Wall, but made it to the top. rest of the climbs went ok, particularly enjoyed the Shay Elliot and finished it strongly I felt. Rolling time was 5:48, which I was delighted with for what was a tough day in the Saddle.

After a break the weekend before last, I headed out to the Mt. Leinster on Saturday. Started off very easy - last group on the road, and hooked up with a few fellow Etapers. Blew the gasket on the Corributt - started way too agressively, rush of blood, and had to stop about half way for a breather before summitting. Found that one really tough. Enjoyed the rest of the spin - the climb after the Corributt is lovely, nice an steady. The 2nd climb from Bunclody (I did the 140k) was nice - steady does it, but was glad to see the left turn taking us back down.

Signed up for the Wicklow200. It's going to be a long day, but looking forward to it. I'll try and get out for some intensity spins mid-week - do a circuit of the Phoenix park and maybe throw in a bit of Knockmaroon hill for good measure on a few circuits. Weekend spins will consist of trips up various flavours of the Sally Gap / Luggula etc

Progress over the past few weeks:

After the Mt. Leinster, I had a bit of a break over weekends due to family commitments, got out on a few short intense spins when I couldn't make the hills as wel las midweek spins doing a circuit of the Phoenix Park which took in Knockmaroon, 4 times in total, which I managed to climb seated.

Weekend before last, did a long flat & fast spin out to Tara - keeping it at 28 - 30km/hr for as long as I could. Did the 30k from my house to Tara in a little over an hour. Had a minor disaster on the way back - blew a new tyre from something on the road, which brought me to a shuddering halt. Managed to use an old piece of rag at the side of the road to plug the hole in the tyre and get going again. Lesson learned for the Etape - whatever about a puncture, but tyre patches probably no harm brinnging as well. 60km of fast cycling that day.

So first proper outing was the Wicklow 200, which I completed in 8:15 rolling time. I really enjoyed the 200 - the weather was a huge bonus - took on Sliabh Maan & the Shay Elliot and was happy with my performance - stayed in the saddle all the way to the top of both climbs, stayed nice and relaxed as much as I could, concentrating on breathing and spinning in the 34/27 gear. I found the last 30k of the W200 tough as I flagged but still climbed strongly - hills after Avoca were tough after the SM / SE climbs.

Last weekend, went out with a few friends and went Rathdrum - Shay Elliott - Larragh - Sally Gap, finishing up on Luggula before decending down to Kilmacanogue and a fast spin home. Found this route fine, nice steady climbing and not overly zapped when i got home. 120km covered that day.

So with 3 weeks to the Etape, have I done enough? I'm still on the bike daily commuting. I'm away next weekend, but will take the bike with me and see if I can get in a bit in the hills. After that, it's the 'taper' - taking it handy before the big day itself. I've done as much as I can, so no point trying to cram in extra training. Will spend the next few weeks checking bike, making list of all the essentials for the trip itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Really enjoying the update, how have you organised the logistics of your trip. I'm another first timer & have opted to go with On Your Bike. Also bib numbers are out I have 5330 which I guess is 5/8 of the way back so not too bad.
    EV

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazycyclist

Enjoying the updates too, am also riding with On Your Bike as a first timer. El Vino, did you get a mail yet or just checked on the etape website? I think I am 7000+ but since I didn't put any experience down, I guess that explains the high start number.

Hiya lads, thanks for the comments. Any stories / comments yourselves how the training is going? I'm hoping I've done enough - but it's going to be a tough but enjoyable :eek: ride!!!

@El Vino, I'm with onyourbike as well (accommodation / logistics only), myself and my cousin are doing it. I'm flying out the week before and holidaying nearby, got Mrs Surveyor to agree to that :pac: but I'll be heading down on the Saturday to get organised. Bike is being collected 30th June for sending out in advance.

@lazycyclist - where did you get the bib number? was it via email recently or from the original email when you registered?

I got it from the official website, just enter your name in this link http://orion.cia-sophia.com/EdmPublic/ParticipantList.aspx?epreuve=57&lang=en

I think we should receive an email too, which you bring along the day before to complete registration (along with photo ID and your medical cert).

If you check the Rider's list (see link in previous reply) against your name now is a pdf. You should print this out as this is what you need to present at registration on Friday or Saturday to get your event numbers. (Remember to also bring your passport and Medical Cert).

Feeling nervous already! Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement

Lazycyclist, thanks for that. I got my bib number and printed out the certificate, so that's another box ticked. Got a bike box now, so setting about packing everything in. Dropping it to the collection Saturday.

The butterflies are definitely setting in now, I'm looking forward to it - the challenge, the adreneline on the day and hopefully a great story to tell for years to come!

Bon chance! Allez et vas y L'Etape!

Interested to hear what cycling people are doing this last week, I did my last big spin on Thursday 100km and all I have done since is an hour of Turbo as my back has been giving me a bit of trouble and I don't want to take any chances. It's hard though I feel like I should be out there caning it. I was thinking of one more turbo session and a stretch of the legs Friday evening & Saturday when I get there.
    EV

I'm on antibiotics trying to get over a chest infection, so hoping I'll be ok in time. I cycled into work today and will maybe go for about a one and a half hour spin on the way home and do the same Thursday.

Will go for a short ride on Saturday when over there, mainly to make sure I've put my bike back together properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Lazycyclist, thanks for that. I got my bib number and printed out the certificate, so that's another box ticked. Got a bike box now, so setting about packing everything in. Dropping it to the collection Saturday.

The butterflies are definitely setting in now, I'm looking forward to it - the challenge, the adreneline on the day and hopefully a great story to tell for years to come!

Bon chance! Allez et vas y L'Etape!
    You'll be fine, you've way more training done than I was able to do for last years. I actually stayed in La Toussuire for my Etape. I did about half the climb the day I arrived to loosen the legs. Tough climb, lot of tree cover low down if it's warm. You've the same gearing as I have so you'll be fine gear wise.
    Best of luck all, it's a great day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Guys, interesting read, I'm thinking of the Etape for next year, will need to up the training & fitness etc... and would like to hear how you get on, hope the sore back & infections clear and the best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Oh, one bit of advice, bring something to shield your chest for the descents, I ended up using my map last year. There's a couple of long descents on both Etapes so it could get cool on the way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Well, no going back now! Checked-in at airport, bike is in France waiting for me....can't wait to get over.
    Weather finally looking a bit better for Sunday at last too ;-)
    http://www.yr.no/place/France/Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes/Albertville/long.html

Yee-haaa! :-)

Incredible day, finished in 8hrs 42, which put me 1377 out of 4400 confirmed finishers. Hardest thing I've ever done. Started in drizzle and finished in baking heat.

Hats off to On Your Bike, would recommend without hesitation, great bunch on the trip also. EV

Well done!

Savage day. Didn't finish, gutted. Need to train a hell of a lot harder than I did. The bodies lying on the side of the road going up the Glandon were unreal. The km markers slowly ticking by each one telling you the average gradient for the next kilometer are demoralising!

+1 for On Your Bike - after my altercation with a wooden post on Saturday, they got me on the road for Sunday, great outfit!

PS the wooden post was not the cause of me not finishing, not being fit enough was!

Well that was just amazing! Absolutely best day on the bike ever!
    +1 again on the OnYourBike guys, they made it a great weekend. Everything went like clockwork...no problems with anything. Would totally recommend them.

Paced myself all day in fear of blowing up in the latter stages, but gave it sticks for last half of final climb and just missed my target time by one poxy little minute :-), but delighted to have completed it...the whole thing was just an amazing experience!

Well done to everyone!

I've some photos but haven't had time to go through them and put them into a set yet. Will put link here as soon as I get a chance.

Anyone here that was over for the weekend with me...sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye at airport but the wife was collecting me so I had to charge through luggage claim as she was outside in the car.
    Nice to meet yee all - had a great time and was great craic!

• Advertisement

Ok, just getting around to posting feed back on Etape Acte 1. Firstly, hats off (or chapeau!) to onyourbike - great bunch of lads, organised and efficient. Everything went super smooth.

I travelled down to Chambery on the Friday and met the fellow Etapers onyourbike lads. After a bite to eat, set about rebuilding the bike on Saturday morning and heading for a spin around Lac de Bourget - lovely spot, and took on a short climb to a view above Chambery. An unfortunate accident by Lazycyclist (hope you and the bike fully recovered) brought home what can go wrong - thankfully all was put right.

The morning of the Etape itself was raining - a thunder storm departing for the startline at least would keep the temperature down, but forecast was for the day to brighten up which it did. So at around 7.40, in "Sas 6" I'm off. Through the streets of Albertville, was great to see the locals up cheering us on. Their support throughout the day I found really encouraging cheers of 'Bravo', 'Courage' and other words of encouragement. Majorettes, a Santa with a vuvuzela, numerous crowds with cow bells etc. Great atmosphere.

The first climb, Col de la Madeleine, I didn't think was too bad - ok, long and the first 'Hors categorie" of the day, but still manageable. I had it mentally broken down into 3 separate climbs, which in effect it is - it flattens out and even goes down hill at one point before the summit. Don't think I stopped in once, maybe just to take off my wind cheater as the day warmed up and the clouds lifted. At the summit, had a quick refill of the water bottle, and set down on the decent to the bottom of Glandon, which was epic. 20 odd km of pure cycling bliss through switchbacks, spectacular views.

But I was also weary of the time, and Glandon proved to be a tough adversary. A refill of the bottle and some grub in La Chambre, and then it's a bit of flat before you hit the slopes of Glandon. It's about 7% average I guess, relentless with no relief what so ever, but the top is where it really starts to hurt. Was starting to feel under pressure as the cut-off and dreaded SAG wagon was a potential at this stage. Somehow managed to make it to the top, took on more water and food and set about the transfer to the Croix de Fer - a lovely climb, short with the Croix itself tantalising in the distance. I somehow managed to gain some time so took some time on the Croix to enjoy the views, a bit of grub and quick call of nature before headed down another epic decent to La Combe de Moulins. At this stage, its hot, was fealing really tired and had the 17km / Cat 1 climb to the finish to Toussuire to contend with, which was starting to feel like a tall order.

Locals were telling us the climb to the finish wasn't too bad, but I'm wondering how many had actually cycled it? The Mollard I can't really remember oddly - I think I must have ploughed on to face Toussuire, as I was concious of the time. The last climb was brutal - not particularly steep, but relentless, hot and I'm very tired at this stage. The ski village at the end was tantilising - you can see it on the peak ahead, and you eyes focus in on the ski lift winding its way up on the horizon, but probably the slowest 15km I've ever cycled. At this stage, large groups around are gathering in the shade, cramping and some vomiting and being attended to by the motor cycle paramedics for dehydration and exhaustion. Other guys turn around and are coming against us as we climb, although some are already sporting medals who have finished. I keep going, taking the odd break and my heart rate is rocketing. Have kept a few energy gels in reserve for the extra boost, which I must have taken over the last 5km. Finally, with 2-3km to go, I can hear the tannoy and crowds at the finish - it turns out that the high rise accommodation of the ski resort is an awful false horizon, as you have to go maybe a couple of km beyond this to the finish.

At last, 500 metres to go and at this stage I'm running on fumes. Adreneleine kicks in, and I seem to be sprinting to the finish (in my eyes anyway!). A medal and a can of coke before I take a rest and start the decent back down into St Jean de Maurienne to meet the rest of the cyclists and on yourbike lads. Must have seen El Vino and Andy 69 there as well - I think they were staying in a different hotel? A few beers back at the hotel, swapped war stories and set about dismantling the bike the following morning. Some made it some didn't - I feel sorry for the guys that didn't make it, but they had taken on some major climbs in the alps, which in itself is a major achievement. Would I do it again? have to say I would, maybe a bit more training this time and set about a time - for an Etape virgin, I was happy just to get to the finish line!

nice summary Surveyor11 :)
    yeah reckon we would have met there at base camp with the OYB lads alright. we had a couple of well-earned beers there after the event. nice :)
    We were staying at the etape hotel....i think about 8km from the town were most of yee were staying?

Here's a few shots from the day - just took them with my phone as i was tipping along (except the one of me of course!)...
    http://www.flickr.com//photos/79455141@N05/sets/72157630527456170/show/

here's from the saturday spin:
    http://www.flickr.com//photos/79455141@N05/sets/72157630465078472/show/

Advertisement