Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's really unfair that nobody told me this before.

• 25-04-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

I finally realized that I should be transcoding all my footage from my 600d to mpeg2 / DNxHD / cineform, before I edit.

I feel like an idiot. Gah.

That's it really. just a serious f#

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I finally realized that I should be transcoding all my footage from my 600d to mpeg2 / DNxHD / cineform, before I edit.

Why? Why can't you edit it natively??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Many people, myself included, struggle to edit compressed video. ProRes 422 FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I don't have a decent enough pc to edit the files natively, anyways you're only getting 4:2:0 out so transcoding lets me push the colours further (4:2:2) when making the footage look pretty ;D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I don't have a decent enough pc to edit the files natively, anyways you're only getting 4:2:0 out so transcoding lets me push the colours further (4:2:2) when making the footage look pretty ;D.

So I should convert all my footage to mpeg2 before I start editing?? I have hours and hours of footage from 4 different cameras to edit!!!!! Is there a quick way that you recommend that I do this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

A lot of cameras use Long Gop compression which is CPU/memory intensive to decode on the fly, also if you apply a real time effect in Avid/FCP the clip will have to be rendered as these platforms run Mpeg compression.

The never ending argument as to why "Tapeless" isn't always cheaper once you get to post production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

My use of 'you're' was directed to myself, I could never be so ignorant as to presume others are using an identical setup to mine. I need to grade flat 24p CineStyle footage in 1080p, I can't do that using the native codec. I found a way to get around that and also a way to edit with more control over my colours. I don't deal with hours and hours of footage so it's not a problem for me to spend 2-3 minutes transcoding a clip, colouring it, and then using in my main project window.

Advertisement