Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing from a tube

Options
  • 25-04-2012 11:01pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

So I bought myself a Fishcat float thingy for a bit of laugh. I plan on tackling a few lakes when this bloody weather clears up - mostly Lough Owel and maybe even Ennel and Ree.
    Anyone used one for fly fishing? Any tips? What to avoid, that sort of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

So I bought myself a Fishcat float thingy for a bit of laugh. I plan on tackling a few lakes when this bloody weather clears up - mostly Lough Owel and maybe even Ennel and Ree.
    Anyone used one for fly fishing? Any tips? What to avoid, that sort of thing.

Best way to fish if you ask me.
    Things to avoid.. Wind obviously, especially on larger lakes.
    It's very easy to get carried away and end up a long way from where you started and it's not nice huffing and puffing trying to paddle back before dark after the evening rise.
    I'll be heading over that way with mine when the weather improves if you fancy a date:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'll be heading over that way with mine when the weather improves if you fancy a date:D

Absolutely! Safety in numbers etc. I'll pm you my number and we can arrange something.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Buy yourself the best fins you can afford. The fins in that link you posted are not up to the job. Also if you havnt got yourself a pair of light breathable waders i suggest you should grab a pair before you decide to head out as the neoprene's are a little restrictive and can tire you out much quicker as a result.
    on the first session you'll probably do more cursing than fishing but once you get the hang of it, it can be very enjoyable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Float tubes are the most enjoyable way to fish for stillwater trout, and you should get a lot of use from your Fish Cat.

Given the average windspeed in Ireland, Ennell, Ree, Owel are extremely big lakes for small watercraft using low (human) power.
    I'm fishing from tubes for over 30 years and I can confirm that do fish those very lakes from the tube. However I've been a long time figuring everything out and nothing could surprise me at this stage, but I have already the capacity or equipment to deal with it.
    So while you are getting started I suggest you stick to smaller or less exposed waters, and only branch out after you gain confidence and experience.

tube-big-water.jpg
    Small boat ... big water! My tube ready to launch on a Midland Lough.

The summer is coming and mild conditions will come with it, you should get some nice evening fishing from your tube.

keppler wrote: »
    Buy yourself the best fins you can afford. The fins in that link you posted are not up to the job. Also if you havnt got yourself a pair of light breathable waders i suggest you should grab a pair before you decide to head out as the neoprene's are a little restrictive and can tire you out much quicker as a result.
    on the first session you'll probably do more cursing than fishing but once you get the hang of it, it can be very enjoyable.

The fins that came with it are slightly different - they don't look as good but we'll see how they handle. I don't intend to stray too far from shore in this thing. I'm ok on the wader front - new pair of Simms from Santa :)

I'm assuming the fins go on over the boots?

• Advertisement

I'm assuming the fins go on over the boots?

I cant comment on yours as I havnt seen them or your boot size. My fins strap comfortably around the welly of my neoprenes but tbh it's an extremely tight fit around the wading boot of the breathables. There shouldnt be any problem with strapping your fins to just the stocking foot part but i'd always be worried about damaging them while getting in/out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Others have mentioned it but get yourself a good pair of dive fins. This will make a huge difference to your mobility. Dive fins are much more efficient at moving water than the fins you generally get with a float tube. Even among dive fins there can be big differences with how efficient they are. With a really good pair of dive fins you won't even notice that you are paddling and you'll be able to move quickly. With crappy fins float tubing can be a really especially if there's a bit of a breeze blowing.

Also, stick to small sheltered lakes when you're starting out and don't go out when it's windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Pullandbang you've probably seen this site but for any others it contains a wealth of info on Tubing: http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/floattubeireland/index.html

I'd love to give it go..but couldn't justify the money right now.

Eventually got out on the tube last night. Took a trip to Lough Ennell. There was a nice breeze blowing in to the shore with a decent ripple. Once I got into floating depth I hopped on and started kicking. Spent the first ten minutes going everywhere except the direction I wanted to go. Bloody thing is impossible to steer against the breeze. It sits so high in the water that you and the tube act like a sail and you are blown about like a leaf on a pond.

Anyway, eventually got the hang of it and paddled out about 100yds and drifted back in. Did that a few times but my little legs got knackered :)

Caught one small throwback and saw another monster leap out of the water about 30 yds away. Beautiful fish about 3-4lb.

With a bit more practise I can see this as being a most enjoyable way to fly fish. The potential to quietly get in amongst rising fish without disturbing them is there and I'm looking forward to a good fight in the not too distant future.

Eventually got out on the tube last night. Took a trip to Lough Ennell. There was a nice breeze blowing in to the shore with a decent ripple. Once I got into floating depth I hopped on and started kicking. Spent the first ten minutes going everywhere except the direction I wanted to go. Bloody thing is impossible to steer against the breeze. It sits so high in the water that you and the tube act like a sail and you are blown about like a leaf on a pond.

Anyway, eventually got the hang of it and paddled out about 100yds and drifted back in. Did that a few times but my little legs got knackered :)

Caught one small throwback and saw another monster leap out of the water about 30 yds away. Beautiful fish about 3-4lb.

With a bit more practise I can see this as being a most enjoyable way to fly fish. The potential to quietly get in amongst rising fish without disturbing them is there and I'm looking forward to a good fight in the not too distant future.

Man you have no idea:) I mainly float tube on small loughs in connemara, the type where the water is stained dark brown to black from the peaty soils. It would not be uncommon for the fish to bump into my black coloured fins because they dont see me coming:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Inshore sea fishing from a tube is also good - if there's no big swell on and your legs are up to it. Tube really allows you to work the edges of kelp beds better than you can from shore.

Inshore sea fishing from a tube is also good

Have to say I'd be very wary of taking it to sea although I'd love to try. My fear would be changing winds and changing tides. It sits so high in the water that you really are at the mercy of the wind. A sheltered bay maybe, but not out in the open sea. Knowing my luck I'd end up on the Isle of Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Da da da da dum dum dum dum dum ( suppose to be jaws theme) big pike in lough owel :)
    Always wanted to give it a go not with a fly rod tho just spinning and lough owel is great place to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Greenwells

New to boards and intrigued by read.
    I have an opportunity to buy a Zodiac Cadet inflatable with 8hp outboard. I'm a river fly fisher but wonder can I launch the zodiac on, say, Sheelin or other lake for fishing - can anyone advise me of barriers to this or regulations against or even etiquette issues against.
    Many thanks - Greenwells

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Greenwells wrote: »
    New to boards and intrigued by read.
    I have an opportunity to buy a Zodiac Cadet inflatable with 8hp outboard. I'm a river fly fisher but wonder can I launch the zodiac on, say, Sheelin or other lake for fishing - can anyone advise me of barriers to this or regulations against or even etiquette issues against.
    Many thanks - Greenwells

There are no barriers to launching an inflatable that i am aware of.

You can use an inflatable but the problem with big loughs is wind, and lots of it, even in summer. Rarely will you go out and not experience some level of wind. Therefore in an inflatable you would get blown around too quickly and drift too fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Greenwells

Thanks for response. It is light on the water (although looks heavy to launch!). I suppose lake boats are designed the way they are for a reason!

Smaller lakes are probably a better bet.
    Thanks again

Advertisement