Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esb and first bill

Options
  • 25-04-2012 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

I moved to a new house and opened an account with ESB (never had one) providing the reading from the electricity meter.
    Now, a month later I got first 'estimated' bill, with both current and previous meter readings 'estimated'. When I checked the meter and made my own calculations it's obvious to me something doesn't add up, as it's too high, something like 40% more that I used to pay in similar house in the exact same estate (I moved just few houses down the street).

Obviously I don't have the previous reading anymore and I can't check what was it, but what about ESB putting the previous reading as 'estimated'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    I moved to a new house and opened an account with ESB (never had one) providing the reading from the electricity meter.
    Now, a month later I got first 'estimated' bill, with both current and previous meter readings 'estimated'. When I checked the meter and made my own calculations it's obvious to me something doesn't add up, as it's too high, something like 40% more that I used to pay in similar house in the exact same estate (I moved just few houses down the street).

Obviously I don't have the previous reading anymore and I can't check what was it, but what about ESB putting the previous reading as 'estimated'?
    You need to contact the ESB immediately or you will end up paying more than you owe! they should have a record of the reading you gave when you signed up! you should also give a current reading taken as soon after the estimated reading as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Not much that you can do other than contact them and talk to them. If it's rented accomodation then the last person would have given a final reading so that could be a starting point. Obviously give them the current reading so they have an actual reading.

It's possible that you could have been on a better tariff or discount at your other house?

Make sure that you have the correct MRPN (meter) associated with your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

BrianD wrote: »
    If it's rented accomodation then the last person would have given a final reading so that could be a starting point.
    nope, the previous person was the owner and he never closed the account. I did it and he confirmed he receiver the final bill
    It's possible that you could have been on a better tariff or discount at your other house?
    I'm not talking about the price, I'm talking about 40% difference in meter readings (old house vs the new one, same period of time)

and before anyone asks - as I did in the last house, I replaced all the bulbs with energy saving ones, there is oil heating and pretty much the same stuff as in the previous house. having been renting for the last several years I can clearly say this bill is way too big

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    nope, the previous person was the owner and he never closed the account. I did it and he confirmed he receiver the final bill

I'm not talking about the price, I'm talking about 40% difference in meter readings (old house vs the new one, same period of time)

and before anyone asks - as I did in the last house, I replaced all the bulbs with energy saving ones, there is oil heating and pretty much the same stuff as in the previous house. having been renting for the last several years I can clearly say this bill is way too big
    you are paying for the period that the house was empty (after the owners final reading and before you moved in) and still racking up standing charges, this will make it appear dearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

let me clear that up: when I moved in, I took the reading myself, then opened the account providing ESB with the most current read. they notified the owner by sending him a final bill, they notified me that the account hs been opened, and now, after one month I've received an estimated bill based on the previous reading, which - according to ESB - was also estimated, but - according to me, who took it - wasn't

• Advertisement

Ask the owner if they still have the last bill and see if the reading on that is E estimated or C for customer reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just contact them (I assume you mean Electric Ireland). It's no big deal and will be sorted quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi fl4pj4ck,

I can have a look for you if you like - just drop a private message to me with the account number and name/address/telephone number on the account.
    Just to note: we can only discuss the account with the named account-holder (for data protection/security reasons).

Regards :)
    Una

Advertisement