Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PE teaching

Options
  • 25-04-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

putting down PE and geography as my number 1 on the CAO. It is the only PE course I'm going to put down as I would only do PE with geography (or maybe business) as another subject but you can't do this in any other course so I assume that when you do for example sports science and eventually qualify as a PE teacher you are at a disadvantage?

Another thing, anyone know what are the chances points will go up or down this year from the 495 last year? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

mufc1993 wrote: »
    Anyone?

Not a PE teacher myself but still a teacher.

I presume by your comment about sports science you mean that you want to do another degree first and then a dip into PE teaching if you don't get your first choice.

The quick answer is no you would not be at a disadvantage. Probably 70% of the teaching population would have done a degree first and then went on to do the dip specific to teaching. These people still got jobs.

Same with my subjects Woodwork and Tech Graphics. Plenty engineers/architects etc. go back to do the grad dip in UL for this purpose and are just as qualified as any other teacher technically.

As for points going up or not. I would say more than likely they would stay the same or drop if you take that the most likely thing this year is that less people would be applying for teaching due to all the cuts in pay and no jobs etc. if this is the case points will stay the same or drop.

Advertisement