Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My electricity is being stolen by a neighbour

Options
  • 25-04-2012 11:28pm

Thanks for the responses I hope to get to the bottom of this.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

You should report it to the garda and try and get them there when Airtricity come. Take photographs and bring your bills to the Garda station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Are you certain you looked at the right meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

check all the meters are spinning
    turn off your mainswitch at the fuseboard
    then check which meter stopped
    maybe you are paying a different appartment and they are paying yours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

robbie7730 wrote: »

agree(im too slow typing robbie:D)

meercat wrote: »
    agree(im too slow typing robbie:D)

When the leg stopped working, the hands got faster:D

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »

Ye it has my apartment number on the meter and i also used the meter number from the bill.

Ye it has my apartment number on the meter and i also used the meter number from the bill.

What you need to do is check like meercat said, turn your main switch off, and see are any meters stopped. If so, switch back on and see does that one start again. There could be a mix up of meter ID`s.

If someone was somehow stealing from your supply, your meter would slow down when you turn your main switch off, but this would be hard to see when going up and down to the meter, so a check during the night might be worth while when little is on in other apartments.

Meter mix up would seem more likely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

On the board where your meter is there should be a set of switches that look the same as the main switch in your fuse board in your apartment, they should be numbered. Pull down the switch with the number that corresponds with your apartment , check if the power goes out in your apartment to verify you have the correct switch and check the meter has stopped spinning. If someone else in the block has tapped off your supply their power will go out too ...... Do this when you know the person you suspect is definitely at home. It won't be longer than a few minutes untill they come out and ask what's going on with the electricity ..... If they don't come out I'd give them a knock and ask in a friendly fashion has their power gone out , just in case you suspect the wrong person. Call airtricity whatever happens and they will get ESB Networks to come out and check it out for you officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

All that proves is that the bill for that numbered meter is being sent to that numbered flat. Meter mix ups are shockingly common in apartments especially if it was built in the last decade. The tenant turnover in apartments often means that the occupiers are not there long enough to know what is normal use so do not notice abnormal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Note the meter reads, RM number and serial number of the meter. Call your supplier tomorrow and ask them to compare with their records. If they don't match there may well be an MPRN/meter mix up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement