Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you remember Iona Baths in Glasnevin?

• 25-04-2012 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I looked online for information about Iona Baths, a swimming pool that used to be in Glasnevin during the 1960s and 70s. As I can find no mention of the pool, I wonder if it has been demolished.

Do you know when it was built and what was its fate, and when? What was its address: Iona Road, or elsewhere? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I don't know if it was called Iona Baths, but there was a 'private' swimming pool at the rear of a house on the Finglas Road (near Hart's Corner) - the house is on the corner of the road that leads into St. Vincent's School. It fits your timeframe.

I think the family may have been called Fleming, but I could well be wrong on this.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 karakorak

Esel wrote: »
    I don't know if it was called Iona Baths, but there was a 'private' swimming pool at the rear of a house on the Finglas Road.

Thanks, Esel, that's interesting but it sounds like some local prosperous person who could afford to dig a pool in their garden.

The pool I have in mind was a public pool that lots of children went to for lessons on Saturdays in 1969-70. I assume it was used the rest of the week, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The one I mentioned was not a pool dug in a garden... :D

Just in case it might be the one you are asking about, there was a 25m pool in St Vincent's school which was open to the public. It closed in the recent past.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Just in case it might be the one you are asking about, there was a 25m pool in St Vincent's school which was open to the public. It closed in the recent past.
    I used it as recently as ~1.5 years ago, i didn't realise it had closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 karakorak

Oh I see. I thought it was in someone's garden from your description of "a 'private' swimming pool at the rear of a house". Thank you for the clarification.

The Wikipedia article for St. Vincent's C.B.S. used to say, "The school's facilities include a 25m swimming pool (used by students and the general public)" but this was edited on 29 September 2011 (by someone in Hartford, Connecticut, no less) so now the article says "The school used to have a 25m swimming pool (used by students and the general public); but this is no longer in use due to the high expense of repairing the facility after some winter storm damage." The school website says, "The swimming pool was built in 1968."

I cannot tell if this pool was the one I swam in in 1969–70. I was young and did not pay attention to the context of the pool — whether it was a corporation or school pool — to me as a child it was just a pool, and I knew it, rightly or wrongly, as "Iona Baths". Still, I find it very suggestive that the St. Vincent's pool was built the year before I began swimming in Glasnevin. There is an aerial view of the Vincent's pool at Google Maps, and a ground based view of the building in Google Street View.

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

That's definitely the pool you remember. Owned by St Vincents and open to the public at certain times. Back in the day there weren't many swimming pools in Dublin. I had lessons there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It's now demolished.

Advertisement