Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tristram Shandy

Options
  • 25-04-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

I have just finished a book called 'The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman' and have to say that it is one of the most amazing books that I have ever read in my life! It's by an Irish author (of course) called Laurence Sterne and is the only book I've ever read that as soon as I finished the last page I instantly turned back to the first one and started it again. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Literature.

Some of the passages in this book have to be read to be believed, pure literary genius.

Has anyone else read it and if so what were your opinions of it? I cannot praise it highly enough and would be interested to hear others thoughts on it.

I read the edition with the Florida notes and by all accounts these are the most authoritative set of notes on the work. I'm not the best at writing reviews of books but I think that this one deserves to be brought to the attention of anyone who is not aware of its existence. I certainly wish someone had made me aware of it before now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

We had to read the first chapter for college but I couldn't stop and ended up reading the whole thing, tempted to read it again myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

PurpleBee wrote:
    We had to read the first chapter for college but I couldn't stop and ended up reading the whole thing

We had to read the whole book for college and I only read the first chapter or two.

Not because I didn't like it though. Because we had so.much.reading, by the time the lecture for this book came around that was as far as I had got and as it was a library book I had to return it just then. I really enjoyed what I read and loved what was discussed in the lecture and the extracts used/read out.

I've been wanting to read it properly ever since. You've reminded me, OP. Really must sort that out.

Advertisement