Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouija Board/Spirit Board/Talking Board

Options
  • 26-04-2012 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's the ideomotor effect. Studies have shown that if the people using the board can't see it (are blindfolded) the pointer only spells out gibberish. If it was actually being controlled by spirits it wouldn't matter if the people can see the board or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

It's the ideomotor effect, or, more likely, one of your partners is moving the thing on purpose. They're in on it.

I don't really understand the ideomotor theory though. How can it move whole arms to spell out words, gibberish or not?

Any time the ouija board has "worked" for me, it turned out some fecker was moving the thing purposely all along.

Anyway, that was when I was a young teenager and my brain hadn't fully developed. I don't do that stuff anymore.

skoomi wrote: »
    I don't really understand the ideomotor theory though. How can it move whole arms to spell out words, gibberish or not?
    The user subconciously moves their arm and spells out words. Funnily enough the ouija board was first marketed as a game to get in touch with your subconcious mind.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_effect

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Why do you have to careful using it so?If its just your mind moving the object :confused:?

You don't have to be careful using it. That's something said by people unaware of its origins and how it works, who think that it can somehow release ghosts or spirits to cause havoc in the world. It's a toy with an overzealous pr department, that's all.

However, it may freak out people of a nervous disposition, so be careful in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My friend used one a few times. She said once when she was living in Australia, she was with a few of her mates, they were playing with a homemade board. She said the glass was defo moving by itself and was mad hot. Whatever it was wouldn't agree to let one of my friend's friends 'go'....seemingly it has to agree to let you leave the board. They were all wrecked tired waiting to get to bed and one girl was stuck with her finger on the glass 'til all hrs of the morning. It started spelling out nasty stuff like 'kill you, kill you'...My friend noticed a fluorescent light under the door in the next room flickering on and off and the glass spelled out 'that was me':):eek:. Anyway, eventually they all went to bed. My friend and the last girl off the board were sharing a room. There was a sudden bang on the window and the venetian blinds kept 'blowing' outwards even though the window was shut. They were bending in the middle too. The girls were petrified.

The same girl told me one night when she was back home in Ireland, she was reading in bed with her back to the window...she saw an oblong shaped white light in the corner of the room, she assumed it was a reflection of something passing outside. She turned over and put her book down, snuggling down to sleep.......suddenly, she felt a pressure on the bed behind her and a sensation that someone was pressing her neck down. Then she heard a soft male voice saying in her ear...'it's only me'. As soon as she felt she was released she hopped out of the bed and ran downstairs and out the door in her pjs, down to her mate's flat. It wasn't sleep paralysis as she was wide awake when it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ann22 wrote: »
    My friend used one a few times. She said once when she was living in Australia, she was with a few of her mates, they were playing with a homemade board. She said the glass was defo moving by itself and was mad hot. Whatever it was wouldn't agree to let one of my friend's friends 'go'....seemingly it has to agree to let you leave the board. They were all wrecked tired waiting to get to bed and one girl was stuck with her finger on the glass 'til all hrs of the morning. It started spelling out nasty stuff like 'kill you, kill you'...My friend noticed a fluorescent light under the door in the next room flickering on and off and the glass spelled out 'that was me':):eek:. Anyway, eventually they all went to bed. My friend and the last girl off the board were sharing a room. There was a sudden bang on the window and the venetian blinds kept 'blowing' outwards even though the window was shut. They were bending in the middle too. The girls were petrified.

The same girl told me one night when she was back home in Ireland, she was reading in bed with her back to the window...she saw an oblong shaped white light in the corner of the room, she assumed it was a reflection of something passing outside. She turned over and put her book down, snuggling down to sleep.......suddenly, she felt a pressure on the bed behind her and a sensation that someone was pressing her neck down. Then she heard a soft male voice saying in her ear...'it's only me'. As soon as she felt she was released she hopped out of the bed and ran downstairs and out the door in her pjs, down to her mate's flat. It wasn't sleep paralysis as she was wide awake when it happened.

lol... That's the one who was spoofing the rest of ye :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lizerb23

I done this with friends when we were in school. we were addicted to doing it, it did keep saying stuff like help me and scary stuff, anyways someone told the priest and he went mental at us and blessed us all and smashed the cup we used, we got in so much trouble. But the funny thing is if someone wud do it again i wud do it with them, i find it fascinating, we used to lift up our hands and the cup wud go flying, it does really work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

lizerb23 wrote: »
    I done this with friends when we were in school. we were addicted to doing it, it did keep saying stuff like help me and scary stuff, anyways someone told the priest and he went mental at us and blessed us all and smashed the cup we used, we got in so much trouble. But the funny thing is if someone wud do it again i wud do it with them, i find it fascinating, we used to lift up our hands and the cup wud go flying, it does really work.

That's a fantastic image :D

Advertisement