Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gutted

Options
  • 26-04-2012 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else gutted to see how waterford city is deteriorating? Even waterford as a county? Is it just me or is most of its business deminishing? Decent job prospects non existent? Care free crime on the rise?

Any sensible positives anyone would like to comment on? I cant see any.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

all of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Either can I, I've devastatingly had to say to goodbye to 3 of my bests friends and a relative this month alone who had to leave for Australia. Sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's very depressing job hunting these days. I still look out of habit more then anything and there seems to be nothing around. I guess just keep looking is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Keep plugging away looking for jobs lads, you will need to look all around the SE as a minimum. E-mail your TDs, and minister for jobs (John Bruton) while you are at it too outlining the dire situation -
    • Highest unemployment in the country
    • Lower than average disposable income
    • Lower than average attendance at 3rd level
    • Good things happening at local level, need national support
    • The action plan for the SE much heralded by Bruton doesnt seem to be having any success
    Ask our local TDs and councillors what is being done to stop the jobs crisis

john.halligan@oireachtas.ie
    ciara.conway@oir.ie
    Paudie.coffey@oir.ie
    John.deasy@oir.ie

minister@djei.ie

In the mean time, if you are depressed and out of work, do some voluntary work for charity or work experience. It looks great on your CV and will give you a personal boost too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Max Powers wrote: »
    Keep plugging away looking for jobs lads, you will need to look all around the SE as a minimum. E-mail your TDs, and minister for jobs (John Bruton) while you are at it too outlining the dire situation -
    • Highest unemployment in the country
    • Lower than average disposable income
    • Lower than average attendance at 3rd level
    • Good things happening at local level, need national support
    • The action plan for the SE much heralded by Bruton doesnt seem to be having any success
    Ask our local TDs and councillors what is being done to stop the jobs crisis

john.halligan@oireachtas.ie
    ciara.conway@oir.ie
    Paudie.coffey@oir.ie
    John.deasy@oir.ie

minister@djei.ie

In the mean time, if you are depressed and out of work, do some voluntary work for charity or work experience. It looks great on your CV and will give you a personal boost too

.... and ask them to support a lower Corporate Rate tax for the S.E to attract inward FDI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Waterford is fast turning into the Liverpool of Ireland.

A once thriving port city, that over the years has gone from a major city in its country to one that is renowned for unemployment whilst the government has sat on its tails and left to ruin..

Happily Liverpool has since got its fight back but has taken over 30years to turn around..
    we havent even started yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

savic04 wrote: »

A once thriving port city, that over the years has gone from a major city in its country to one that is renowned for unemployment whilst the government has sat on its tails and left to ruin..

Happily Liverpool has since got its fight back but has taken over 30years to turn around..

Unfortunately, Waterford is also know for its militant unionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Yay, another thread where we can all wallow in self pity and negativity.

AFAIK, Liverpool is also known as the self pitying city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

savic04 wrote: »

I was going to make a comment about Liverpool at least having a decent football team then I remembered...:(

Waterford in the modern era has never been anything other than a bit shabby and down at heel truth be told. The presentation of the city to the world is hopeless, sure a few bits and bobs get done (and lets not forget the new park opening soon) but you only need to turn a corner to see grimy visages. I've said before that a "paint your property" by law needs introducing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I asked for positives if you hadnt noticed, stop trying to be a smart arse and contribute otherwise get out of the thread.

Theres a few jobs in the Munster this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Hijpo wrote: »
    I asked for positives if you hadnt noticed, stop trying to be a smart arse and contribute otherwise get out of the thread.

Oooh very touchy. Can I still read the thread even though I've nothing to contribute? C'mon, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

mike65 wrote: »
    I was going to make a comment about Liverpool at least having a decent football team then I remembered...:(

Waterford in the modern era has never been anything other than a bit shabby and down at heel truth be told. The presentation of the city to the world is hopeless, sure a few bits and bobs get done (and lets not forget the new park opening soon) but you only need to turn a corner to see grimy visages. I've said before that a "paint your property" by law needs introducing.

Yep i agree that a paint your property by law would be a good idea, look at the amount of work the council have done on the Mall and are currently undertaking on the Quay, only to be ruined when you arrive and that manky hole of a place on on the corner of Catherine st and the Mall (shall remain nameless as the owner has a hobby of suing people).. it will deffo be good for the summer tourism, which hopefully will bring in a few tourist dollars to our local economy and keep a few jobs going in the hospitality sector and shops/ restaurant pubs and any other business that will benefit from visitors..

But other than that we really do need some jobs down here soon.. most of my mates are already gone to Cork, Dublin and Galway and the likes... its a shame that you have to say goodbye to so many mates every month..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I was looking at the jobs section on the FÁS web site yesterday for Waterford City and out of the 20/30 that were listed covering 7-10days only about 5 were actually offering a wage. It's TITANIC:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

and its only gonna get worse. get off this sinking ship before it goes UNDER

im off to canada in 3 weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I was looking at the jobs section on the FÁS web site yesterday for Waterford City and out of the 20/30 that were listed covering 7-10days only about 5 were actually offering a wage. It's TITANIC:(
    yes fas is a great place for them internships nonsense, cloaked slave labour...

theres plenty actiivties going on around town its not that bad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I know it's easy to get down in the dumps over Waterford lads, but I definitely think people should try focussing on the positives in their life if possible, Waterford related or not. Easier said than done I know.

I was very lucky that when I lost my job nearly 2 years ago now that I fell into another one by total fluke less than a month later. I'm not earning massive money or anything, far from it but just glad to be employed at this stage. Since I started in the new place myself and my gf have moved in together, had a child and have seen our finances take a massive downturn. Being totally honest I'm flying by the skin of my teeth at the end of the month when it comes to bills etc. Total cutbacks in the house, even stupid things that I took for granted are going/ gone, Sky Sports, Xbox (see my signature ;)) iPhone, nights out with the lads, haven't had a decent break or holiday since I don't know when. Haven't bought new clothes in about a year, switched shopping from Tesco to Aldi, Marlboro cigarettes to rollies, every little helps eh? :D

I'm venting here I know but what I'm basically trying to say is Waterford can seem like a fishbowl with things only getting worse. It's very easy to get down, wondered for a while if I was depressed, had a panic attack while my gf was pregnant, was afraid I couldn't provide for my new family. I knew I had to do something, a lot of my single friends moved back in with their parents and are saving, the rest moved to either Canada or Oz and fair play, they can do that, I couldn't.

Not sure what the turning point was, or how it happened but one day I decided to let go of the stress and focus on the positives, I have a happy, healthy boy who's nearly a year old, who has been born into a loving home and we've swapped cinema, take-away and beer nights for day trips to Dunmore, Passage and Woodstown, and an occasional pizza and DVD night. I am also a firm believer in healthy body-healthy mind ethos. I'm in no way preaching as I'm a smoker and still a fair bit out of shape but since taking up walking (and going cap in hand to the parents for money to join Goldstone) I have felt an upturn in my moods, productivity at work and just a better mindset which helps me get out of bed that little bit quicker in the morning.

Hope this might help someone who is in a similar position to the one I was in. I have finally seen that there is more to Waterford than job-losses, bad nightlife and a bleak future. Sorry for the long post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Good to hear its going well batm!ke :)
    There is indeed a lot of doom and gloom over hanging our fair city.
    I too found myself stuck in a rut, but was lucky to pick up work after being laid off.
    Have to admit things were tough for a while trying to get back on the oulde feet, it took a death of a friend to make me realise things could be worse !
    It's not all that bad tho, I think we have all learned to respect money a lot more, I know I certainly have.
    All we need now is a competent government, all our bills whipped out, free water and no sovereign debt and things will be back to normal :D

Great post batm!ke.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    Great post batm!ke.

+1 on that. Physical exercise/activity is great to blow the depression cobwebs away. A pair of runners is all you need.

On saying that, we should never become complacent and accept the rubbish situation this and successive governments have us in.

I find walking to and from lidl is bracing enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Some good posts there, thanks lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

However bad and downbeat it gets you will not find any other city in the world that has such top class characters around the place

However bad and downbeat it gets you will not find any other city in the world that has such top class characters around the place

Place is great for food too in fairness.

On a related notes did I hear something about new parkland opening soon? I assume this is down by kingfisher. That will be great for summer walks and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I think so, whenever I be down at the Kingfisher they seem to be at something next to it.

Place is very good for food, no shortage of fine dining.

Its the Kilbarry dump! I see there is a small car park by Kingfisher looking at google earth, presume this is for the park.

ziedth wrote: »
    Place is great for food too in fairness.

On a related notes did I hear something about new parkland opening soon? I assume this is down by kingfisher. That will be great for summer walks and all.

You can read about it here.

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mhgbsnojau/

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Heathen wrote: »
    Yep i agree that a paint your property by law would be a good idea, look at the amount of work the council have done on the Mall and are currently undertaking on the Quay, only to be ruined when you arrive and that manky hole of a place on on the corner of Catherine st and the Mall (shall remain nameless as the owner has a hobby of suing people).. it will deffo be good for the summer tourism, which hopefully will bring in a few tourist dollars to our local economy and keep a few jobs going in the hospitality sector and shops/ restaurant pubs and any other business that will benefit from visitors..

But other than that we really do need some jobs down here soon.. most of my mates are already gone to Cork, Dublin and Galway and the likes... its a shame that you have to say goodbye to so many mates every month..

And then ye would be asking the question "where are businesses going to get money in the current economic climate to paint their premises?" Etc etc.

• Advertisement

It would be claimable against rates!

Advertisement