Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swiss woman dies of starvation after trying to survive on light alone

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

28064212 wrote: »
    Wrong again: http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/rules.children.html
    So, the rules do not disqualify nominees who have already reproduced.

Hmmm, first I've seen of that and think its a bit of a back step really. Surely the idea of taking yourself out of the genepool would mean you hadn't reproduced already. Well, that's how I had taken it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Wow! What an illuminating article.
    I feel lightheaded after reading that.

Still though, you'd think she'd have seen through it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Their explanation comes up with a specific example, which is fair enough, but which doesn't apply generally or in this specific case.

Plus, while Darwin "awards" are handed out by that website, in reality the website has nowt to do with real Darwinian selection.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Plus, while Darwin "awards" are handed out by that website, in reality the website has nowt to do with real Darwinian selection.

Next you'll be claiming Alec Guinness has nothing to do with the Guinness World Records book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Eejit, Muller light is what they meant.

Post of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Hmmm, first I've seen of that and think its a bit of a back step really. Surely the idea of taking yourself out of the genepool would mean you hadn't reproduced already. Well, that's how I had taken it to be.

Darwinism being the survival of the fittest its seems quite the cop-out to loosen the definition so they can include people who have successfully reproduced, thus continuing their lineage and avoiding their extinction. Surely the only possible exemptions would be if they did something like blow up their kids with their dying act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Their explanation comes up with a specific example, which is fair enough, but which doesn't apply generally or in this specific case.
    Wrong again:
    A concrete example will help illuminate the discussion
    The conclusion?
    So the rules do not disqualify nominees who have already reproduced.
    They specifically say it applies in the general case
    Lol, no shit, well done. Now point out where anyone made any reference to "real Darwinian selection".

You are completely and utterly wrong. You couldn't be any more wrong. You criticised someone who said she would be eligible for a Darwin Award by claiming Darwin Awards aren't awarded to people who have already reproduced. The awarding body specifically says this isn't the case. Instead of just accepting you were wrong, you're actually trying to argue that the site doesn't say exactly what it says, and then trying to change the argument after the fact

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You are completely and utterly wrong. You couldn't be any more wrong. You criticised someone who said she would be eligible for a Darwin Award by claiming Darwin Awards aren't awarded to people who have already reproduced. The awarding body specifically says this isn't the case. Instead of just accepting you were wrong, you're actually trying to argue that the site doesn't say exactly what it says, and then trying to change the argument after the fact

The site is wrong. End of.

The site is wrong. End of.
    The awarder of Darwin Awards is wrong about who receives Darwin Awards. Riiiighhhhtttttttt. Keep digging

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Oh look it, some one died because of a film.

I think we should ban all films now ?

What do you non-smokers think ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Stiffler2 wrote: »

what do non smokers have to do with this?

FatherLen wrote: »
    what do non smokers have to do with this?

They wanna ban everything that is bad to health or civilians health.
    Here a woman has died copying something she saw in a film.

Therefor by non-smokers logic I think we need to ban all films from the world in case someone dies again because of it :rolleyes:

Therefor by non-smokers logic I think we need to ban all films from the world in case someone dies again because of it :rolleyes:
    How did you come to that conclusion? Most non-smokers couldn't care less what smokers put in their body. It's what's left outside their body that's the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

yeah keep that argument in the right thread. and when you do, think of better arguments than this one before posting.

How did you come to that conclusion? Most non-smokers couldn't care less what smokers put in their body. It's what's left outside their body that's the problem

Ahh - there was a thread knocking around yesterday about banning smoking in public places & the brigade were on saying how second hand smoke outside is bad for your health and should be banned because it's bad for civilians health blah blah blah rabble rabble rabble etc etc..

So now I want to ban everything that is bad for you.

• Advertisement

Ahh - there was a thread knocking around yesterday about banning smoking in public places & the brigade were on saying how second hand smoke outside is bad for your health and should be banned because it's bad for civilians health blah blah blah rabble rabble rabble etc etc..

So now I want to ban everything that is bad for you.
    Right, so when this woman goes around forcing other people not to eat because of a film, you can talk about banning films that suggest eating nothing is good for you. Until that happens, take your arguments to.... well, they're so infantile I don't know where you could take them, but not here

Right, so when this woman goes around forcing other people not to eat because of a film, you can talk about banning films that suggest eating nothing is good for you. Until that happens, take your arguments to.... well, they're so infantile I don't know where you could take them, but not here

Hey - I didn't force non-smokers to come up beside me after I have lit a cigarette outside so my notion stands, we should ban films, um-k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

So in a roundabout way, did light kill her?

If this happened in the 'States, her family would be suing light for gross negligence.

Hey - I didn't force non-smokers to come up beside me after I have lit a cigarette outside so my notion stands, we should ban films, um-k
    Hey - You didn't not force herp to derp up beside you after herpy derpson, so clearly your notion is nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Go towards the light......oh not that one...Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

your terribad arguement makes me want to kill myself - so by that logic, you should be banned :confused:

As a non-smoker I think there is no need for a space between the question mark, it might even be incorrect ? But I don't mind, just giving a strong opinion which I hope adds to this debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

How did she plan to cope if Mr. Burns blocked out the sun again? She could have died.....oh wait.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

mod

Can we keep the smoking argument to the smoking thread, please?

Cheers

/mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Can't live on sunshine alone? well that's food for thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Seen a one on wife swap or some of them programmes, a one from California was living off the sun. The army guy she had swapped to live with wasn't too impressed...:pac:

So it doesn't work then?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Apparently some can. Its called solar gazing and 15 minutes at sunrise and sunset can do you the world of good. Apparently.

This isn't very well produced imo but gets some points across...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Jayzus...

Me job :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

themadchef wrote: »
    Jayzus...

Me job :eek:

If you started a franchise for Madchef Light Snacks, you'd get more customers in the restaurant because you wouldn't need any space for a kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If you started a franchise for Madchef Light Snacks, you'd get more customers in the restaurant because you wouldn't need any space for a kitchen.

Jars of sunlight:pac::pac:

It would have sold during the Celtic Tiger:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Confab wrote: »
    Her name was Anna Gut.

I'm surprised AH has missed the opportunity

Standards are slipping

Yeah but that's in German. Gut doesn't mean the same thing.

This is Ireland. We don't speak German.....

.....yet

Give it about 10 years and it will be compulsory as part of another government sell out to the EU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's not even her real name...

It's not even her real name...

If youre going to allow yourself to die from malnutrition because the suns rays didint feed you. Im kinda happy for her family its not her real name.

The holy mortifying shame of it.

"Ah your Ma died, so sorry for yer loss, was it cancer?"

" No, she didint eat for ages, thought the Sun was the shizzle and didint need food. Never was much of a science buff our Ma.

Still, we can go to McDonalds now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Are they sure she starved? Maybe she overdosed on vitamin D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

If youre going to allow yourself to die from malnutrition because the suns rays didint feed you. Im kinda happy for her family its not her real name.

The holy mortifying shame of it.

"Ah your Ma died, so sorry for yer loss, was it cancer?"

" No, she didint eat for ages, thought the Sun was the shizzle and didint need food. Never was much of a science buff our Ma.

Still, we can go to McDonalds now."

Off topic admittedly, but I would just have left that hypothetical coversation at the "Sorry for the loss" comment. A bit insensitive to delve deeper.

rgmmg wrote: »
    Off topic admittedly, but I would just have left that hypothetical coversation at the "Sorry for the loss" comment. A bit insensitive to delve deeper.

:confused:

Oh grand, ill try to tweek my hypothethical conversations to be a little more sensitive in future.

I'm generally much better in person... but you'll have to take my word for that.

micropig wrote: »
    Jars of sunlight:pac::pac:

It would have sold during the Celtic Tiger:D

They did! Think they were labelled as Bulgarian apartments or somthing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

rgmmg wrote: »

:confused:

Oh grand, ill try to tweek my hypothethical conversations to be a little more sensitive in future.

I'm generally much better in person... but you'll have to take my word for that.

Shame on you. You're so heartless.

I knew someone that died of cancer. It was on the Tele and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Darwinism.

If only we'd allow for more of it can you imagine where the human race could be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Darwinism.

If only we'd allow for more of it can you imagine where the human race could be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Does she have a history of mental problems? Care to shine a light on this :eek:
    Anna Gut followed the instructions for the first stage to the letter: she had no food or drink for a week, and even spat her saliva out. For weeks two and three, she resumed drinking again, but she visibly weakened and her children became concerned.

Well fair play to her kids for becoming concerned after she subjected herself to three weeks of starvation for no good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The moral of this story is you better eat food or there will be no light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Open that cutain Im famished!!

Turn of that lamp, im full!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I'm off to have a light snack before I do some work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Study after study proves you can't live on light alone, if you could the starving africans would be fat and healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Fizman wrote: »
    I know a girl who lives entirely off her flesh light.

Dildo-1

edit: it seems superscript code doesn't work or I have it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

We skipped the light fandango
    Turned cartwheels across the floor
    I was feeling kinda seasick
    But the crowd called out for more.
    What does it mean?
    ****ed if I know Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There's one born every minute vs there are vulnerable people out there with money in their pockets
    the Living on Light Workshop is guided in the moment. It includes an Initiation for Living on Light and a Healing/Clearing of issues related to food and eating including addictions, attachments, self-worth and emotional issues.

This workshop is designed to trigger a gentle process of gradual movement towards fully living on Light. The process involves embracing food and your own eating habits fully, accepting yourself exactly as you are and stepping fully into your Mastery, whether you decide to live entirely on light alone or continue to eat three meals a day. The initiation enables you to be nourished by light or prana – the particles within light which contain all the nutrients necessary for full physical health.

Living on Light requires fully accepting and living from an entirely new paradigm and this takes time to establish.

The healing helps you to let go of old ways of eating and being that no longer serve you.

Cost: £120

Followed by:
    In this workshop we let go of poverty consciousness and begin our path to True Abundance and Financial Freedom ...

Cost: £120

The path started by the person charging for the workshop....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Thats a good deal considering youd spend 120 a week on food . Course pays for itself within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

This is why some people need to be ordered about and told what to do.

Some people are just too stupid to survive on their own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement