Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never played before...low whistle...ambitious?

Options
  • 26-04-2012 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm 36 and apart from doing the obligitary tin whistle in primary school, I don't play or read music. I have always wanted to play the low whistle, and got one for a gift. I'd appreciate advice, am I better off starting with a tin whistle, or could I go for it?? I'm also living in Newbridge and will be looking for a teacher. Answers on a postcard!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I am hoping to take up tin whistle lessons soon myself but the impression I've always had is that it's better to get your technique right on the tin whistle and then move to the low whistle when you're a bit more advanced. They're not as easy to play. I've only got to try out a friend's low D at one point but it was tough going. Obviously that changes as you master it but the tin would strike me as the easiest to start with and then move to the low later.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Well normally people would start with a high whistle then work their way through bigger ones like Bb/A etc. to get used to the stretch. But as you already have the low whistle and if you can handle the stretch and get a teacher, I don't see why you can't go for it. But do make sure to get a teacher from the start otherwise you'll pick up a load of bad habits. You'll be wanting a good pipers grip so there'll be no strain on your hands.

Good luck and have fun learning!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jackb45

Ive been teaching the whistle for over ten years and i do a lot of classes online over skype so if your up for some lessons send me a message and I will see what I can do.

Advertisement