Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian advert on motorcycle speeding

• 26-04-2012 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

They don't beat around the bush!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Hmmm. His front brake mustn't have been working and he target-fixed on the car. Advanced training would have got his observation skills up, his braking sharper and his inclination to seek exit routes improved. Slowing down in built up areas is also important...

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also conveniently seems to ignore that the crash was caused by the driver turning right across the motorcyclist's path, not by the motorcyclist's speed.

By all means run a "drive defensively" campaign, but the tone of the ad is "If you speed, it's your fault when you die".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Typical example of blame the biker not the dolt pulling out in front of him without looking.

If he was travelling at 78 K/ph he would have passed the point the car is pulling out from before it got there thus avoiding (that) accident :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Kat1170 wrote: »
    If he was travelling at 78 K/ph he would have passed the point the car is pulling out from before it got there thus avoiding (that) accident :rolleyes:

Got a chuckle out of that.

They skipped over one point that I really value, it's the being in their line of sight for longer. I know there's lots of other points that are more important, but it does give the driver in the car another twist of the head to see us.
    It's something that is popping into my head recently anyway.

I wouldn't be too worried about coming across like its the bikers fault, car drivers switch off when these ads come on anyway. Don't reckon you would get this type of conversation on a cars forum (or even a section dedicated to skills etc (as per dedicated forums)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

seamus wrote: »
    Also conveniently seems to ignore that the crash was caused by the driver turning right across the motorcyclist's path, not by the motorcyclist's speed.

By all means run a "drive defensively" campaign, but the tone of the ad is "If you speed, it's your fault when you die".
    I think is that the biker doesn't have control over other people's driving, but he does have control over his speed and the speed limits are there for a reason.

Good ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Ah you see he wasnt wearing Hiv Viz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Yet more "blame the biker" propaganda.

Where are the ad campaigns telling drivers to look in both directions when pulling out of a side road, telling drivers not to bolt out across a main road just to make a gap in traffic on the far side of the road, telling drivers to look twice before pulling out when the first vehicle in a line of traffic turns off the road.

Bad driving and lack of care and consideration towards other road users hurts more people than speeding does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gerbear1 wrote: »
    I think is that the biker doesn't have control over other people's driving, but he does have control over his speed and the speed limits are there for a reason.

The car driver pulled straight out of a side road without correct observation yet they are are blaming the biker for the crash, there could have been a child on a bicycle or a road train instead of a biker! If the driver had inched out till they could see the way is clear then they would have seen any approaching vehicle and stopped.

Kat has a valid point also.
    Kat1170 wrote: »
    gerbear1 wrote: »
    Good ad.

It's a shocking ad, as even when the biker is going at the speed limit the motorist still pulls across his path forcing him to swerve. If they'd shown the biker driving at the speed limit and the car spotting him and stopping it would have been good.

All it does is reinforces the SMIDSY excuse as the biker was speeding it's his fault. Not the dozy driver who pulls out of a side road, they should do the same ad with a road train replacing the bike for car drivers. The car would be in bits and then the dozy drivers would look correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Speaking from a very recent experience of being hit by a car driver turning from a side road onto the main road I was travelling on, he moved out and hit me looking entirely in the other direction, a second before impact I could actually see the back of his head, I am definitely starting to believe the opinion that drivers of larger vehicles don't respect drivers of smaller vehicles because the amount of damage that will be caused to their vehicle will be (in most cases) fairly minimal. My bike is most likely a write-off (having been thrown 20 metres up the wrong side of the road along with me) whereas the car that hit me has very little damage.

This quote from the ad makes me laugh "at 60 the driver would've had more chance to see him properly, he'd have stayed in control and reached his point a moment later".

How about, "if the car driver had looked properly before attempting to progress onto the road he would've seen the bike and would've waited until a gap in traffic appeared on both sides to allow him to take his turn safely".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Mad that could happen at a 30kmp/h impact speed. Two cars colliding at that speed would have crumple zones, airbags, restraint with seat belt, etc.

Not a biker but saw a similar type accident where a car turning right crossed the path of the motorcyclist. The woman driving the car claimed "he came out of nowhere" - translation I didn't bother looking for him. I presume bikers are on seriously high alert whenever they see a junction sign up ahead where the potential for an almost stationary car to block their path occurs.

The RSA should run some safety campaigns around looking out for bikers, and proper observation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJQ1kl2Kt8

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Clearly this is the car drivers fault for pulling out and yes this ad might install the idea in some peoples heads that bikes are to blame in this situation, but these people are idiots. This is a bad ad. As was said, why is the vehicle here specifically a bike, a car going too fast would not of braked in time either. Maybe they were going for the idea that bikes are less visible, but again thats up to the car to spot.

BUT in saying that...

You can talk all day about people not paying attention to bikes and just pulling out in front of them, and you can demand that there are more ads on tele to highlight this but the fact of the matter is, it is always going to happen.

So in light of this what are your choices? Accelerate to a faster speed to avoid any cars before they pull out or slow down to decrease your braking distance and allow the idiots more time to (hopefully) see you. I know which one I do. I think the message here is sound but I see it more as "There are always going to be idiots pulling out in front of you, so adjusting your speed slightly may be the difference".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

In fairness to the TAC in Australia, I lived there for 15 years & the majority of their ads where aimed at getting drivers & riders to slow down, they didn't discriminate against one or the other just against the speeding... they are just as hard hitting (pardon the pun) on drivers.

They also had a whole campaign for a number of years telling drivers to look out for bikes.. like this one

Seen that last ad before, it's very good. Pity more car drivers/truckers etc. didn't put themselves in a bikers shoes. There might be less accidents and more consideration then!!

I had a guy telling me one icy morning that it wasn't his problem that I chose to ride a bike. It was about 6.30am, dark, about -6 and the road was frozen and there was a sprinkling of snow. I was taking it easy, both feet dangling, just in case. There was a 4x4 up my arse, but I was keeping well in so as not to obstruct other road users. Anyway, this guy comes peeling passed me and swerves back in, in front of me. Instinctively I almost grabbed the brake but glad I didn't, I just rolled off slightly instead.

He had to stop about 20 metres up the road at traffic lights, so I went around him, parked the bike in front of his 4x4 and got off. I approached the window to see it was open a crack as he was having a smoke. I asked if he wanted to trade places. He could try to ride the bike about 40 miles in those conditions, and I would sit in a nice warm comfortable jeep. He replied "it's not my problem you chose to ride a bike", the tosser!

I told him it wasn't a choice, that the bike was my only means of transport as it's all I could afford, and that if he wasn't more courteous I'd pull him out through the gap in the window and teach him some manners. His demeanor changed straight away I can tell you! But this is the mentality of the numb-skulls we're dealing with out there, they don't give a sh!te. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Seen that last ad before, it's very good. Pity more car drivers/truckers etc. didn't put themselves in a bikers shoes. There might be less accidents and more consideration then!!

when I was in my mid teens my older brother had a bike & I went everywhere on the back of it with him... Best education a driver could EVER get... The number of times we had near misses was uncountable.... I believe that I am a better more aware driver today because of this..

I think that learners should be taken around on the back of a bike to be shown this fun "he must see us from there" " he's not actually going to pull out is he" time that I had..

But then to be honest some days when it's raining heavy on the M50 I'm almost scared of what I see some muppets doing & I'm in a bloody Range Rover

Daved_XB wrote: »
    when I was in my mid teens my older brother had a bike & I went everywhere on the back of it with him... Best education a driver could EVER get... The number of times we had near misses was uncountable.... I believe that I am a better more aware driver today because of this..

That's excellent and you are more aware and more courteous because of it, fair play.
    Daved_XB wrote: »
    But then to be honest some days when it's raining heavy on the M50 I'm almost scared of what I see some muppets doing & I'm in a bloody Range Rover

In fairness, although 5 or 6 years on bikes now, I still hate riding on the M50 in heavy rain. They really made a mess of that when the re-did it. The standing water and spray is just ridiculous! And it doesn't stop muppets being muppets instead of slowing down and taking more care. Muppets! :mad:

Advertisement