Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visual Fox Pro and Sql Server

Options
  • 26-04-2012 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

HI,

I need to be able to migrate info from a fox Pro and SQL Server DB and back again.

Breakdown
    I have 2 seperate systems running the above DB's. The SQL system is an web based ordering system and the other is a 3rd party logistics software system.
    Basically an order is placed on the SQL system and a file is sent via FTP to the logistics system. I need to be able to run a script where the Fox Pro system checks the ftp for new files and updates the DB accordingly. Can this be done via stored procs or is there any other way you could recommend.

The other scenario is that when stock is booked into the FoxPro sys they need to be able to send a file back via ftp to the SQL server. Now i have a script running that picks up anything on the SQL end and updates the DB.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Jesus Fox Pro is still alive?

When you say 3rd party logi system its written by someone else but hosted in house or its owned and managed by a 3rd party? I'm guessing as your using ftp its the latter. Pity other wise I'd say front the FoxPro DB with web services (if you can) and call those from SQL Server to push/pull the data.

If the above is impossible... write a service for the foxpro machine that monitors the ftp site, processes the files and makes the required calls to Fox Pro.

If both of those are impossible and it has to be a script for FoxPro.... I'm afraid I try to forget my brief stint using it and wouldn't be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rekhib

If you don't want to get into compiling a service, just write some VBA code on a scheduled task or as an indirect service (using ServiceEx) to pull down the file via FTP/HTTP and then insert the data into FP using OLE DB or ODBC. Depending on the index type, you might have to re-index the FoxPro table (I doubt you'll be able to do that via ODBC). The same VBA script could poll the FP db for changes and upload a file for your web service to consume the data.

Advertisement