Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange Olympic events

• 26-04-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Which Olympic events do you find strange and think that they shouldn’t be in the Olympics at all?

And what sports/ events which are not currently in the Olympics do you thing should be included?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Piss blasting should definitely be included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Football and Golf (being reinstated for the 2016 games)
    They both have their own competitions held every year, and professionals will be on the teams for both sports. Don't really see the point unless it was completely amateur, like Olympic boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A Wankathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I think i remember a pice on the news about the last time the olympics were in london, an irish girl got a medal for painting, i guess it used to be kinda like the community games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 DB Cooper 23

I think diving is fine, but who thought up the idea of synchronized diving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dancing around with a piece of ribbon on a stick is an event.
    Think its called rythimic gymnastics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Duggy747 wrote: »
    A Wankathon

There's a tax for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Solo sychronized swimming? I mean WTF? Also, Synchronized swimming contravenes the Olympic charter in that it's restricted to one gender.

Soccer. Most of the world's best players won't be there and won't care.

Race Walking: cheat as carefully as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Anything relying on the subjective opinion of judges, Gymnastics, Diving, etc.,

Sports where an animal does most of the work - show jumping

Team sports

Sports where an Olympic medal isn't the ultimate pinnacle of achievement, e.g. Golf, Tennis, Soccer.

90% of the swimming events could be culled. There isn't separate medals for running the 100m sideways or backwards. Why should there be entire events dedicated to useless swimming strokes, butterfly, backstroke, breast.

I'll think of more.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

That event where a young wan in a leotard skips around twirling two ribbons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Football and Golf (being reinstated for the 2016 games)
    They both have their own competitions held every year, and professionals will be on the teams for both sports. Don't really see the point unless it was completely amateur, like Olympic boxing.

There's something not right when you see multi-millionaire professionals such as Federer or Nadal winning Olympic Gold. At least give amateurs a chance of glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Why should there be entire events dedicated to useless swimming strokes, butterfly, backstroke, breast.
    What 'til you get older and the breast stroke is the only stroke you're able to do. Useless, my hole.

Also, "breast".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

El Weirdo wrote: »
    What 'til you get older and the breast stroke is the only stroke you're able to do. Useless, my hole.
    I'd rather drown than be slowing people down in the pool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

A Wankathon

Isn't that already there ( Woman's Beach Volleyball )

I don't like sports that are ' objective ' ie have to be judged , because this means it's up to personal opinion

So , diving , syncronised swimming things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DB Cooper 23

The long jump is fine but the triple jump is a strange one. Who decided that they needed an extra jumping event? Why not a double jump then or quadruple jump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

A Wankathon

Makes sense.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Man sports. Like Art.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Butler_Yeats

Unusually, Yeats holds the distinction of being Ireland's first medalist at the Olympic Games in the wake of creation of the Irish Free State. At the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris, Yeats' painting The Liffey Swim won a silver medal in the arts and culture segment of the Games. In the competition records the painting is simply entitled Swimming

Advertisement