Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iTunes Match

• 26-04-2012 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else have/use iTunes match? I got it the other day, i liked the idea so i got it. But it's turned out to be a slow progress. I've 12,315 songs in my iTunes library and it took nearly 24hrs to match 9,205 of them. So next step is to upload those dongs that they are unable to match, here lays the problem.

In 24hrs it roughly uploaded 150songs. So with over 3,000 songs to upload this is gonna take a very long time. Is this normal? Anyone else have a simlar experiance? My eircom internet is running at 54.0 Mbps, surely this is good enough?

Thanks for any help given.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Yes, it's normal. It took me more than a week to upload my library. Your eircom upload speed will be nowhere near as fast as your download speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Son0vagun wrote: »
    My eircom internet is running at 54.0 Mbps, surely this is good enough?

54Mbps sounds like your WiFi connection. This isn't your internet connection. Eircom is 8Mb down and 512kb up.

Note that kb is kilobits and kB is kiloBytes, 1 byte = 8 bits.

512kb/8 is 64kB per second upload. A regular MP3 is about 5MB so it will take a minimum 80 seconds to upload, probably more. So you are looking at about 2 minutes per song, so 6000 minutes over all so about... 4 days of constant upload!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Thanks lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

iTunes Match - a great way to launder your music :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

BrianD wrote: »

what you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

BrianD wrote: »

Not really since Apple know what tracks you have purchased and what ones you haven't. You're getting iTunes versions of potentially pirated tracks, but since iTunes doesn't have DRM anymore you could just as easily have gotten them off your mate.

Not to mention the music that gets matched isn't necessarily the right music. It can't tell the difference between remastered and non-remastered tracks, so you could end up with an album with varying volume. Or you could have your explicit version of a song matched with a censored version.

I have to say I was very disappointed with iTunes Match. I wouldn't recommend it, at least not until Apple improve the matching system and include a force upload option. And it's a complete mess on iOS. I turned it on, then turned it off and had to re-sync all my music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I got it a week ago and I'm lost.

Itunes now has cloud symbols that I don't understand.

My album art which I was meticulous with is all over the shop!

Some files are not uploaded.

I really don't get it at all and at this moment regret getting it as it appears I have to redownload some music.

but since iTunes doesn't have DRM anymore you could just as easily have gotten them off your mate.

I think iTunes still imprints your information into each song you purchase, so while it's DRM free it still has your itunes account details in it. It did so before so might be worth checking if it still does.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

TBi wrote: »
    I think iTunes still imprints your information into each song you purchase, so while it's DRM free it still has your itunes account details in it. It did so before so might be worth checking if it still does.

Yeah, it does, which is why people don't generally upload their iTunes songs. But you can still give them to your real friends. Matched tracks show your account details as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I have been thinking about getting itunes match. IM nervous about someting happeneing to my laptop and losing all hte music stored in my itunes library. Im not a technical person so Im looking for a safe easy way to keep my music stored safely. Whats the vote out there, is itunes match a good offering, or should we avoid?

• Advertisement

banjobongo wrote: »
    I have been thinking about getting itunes match. IM nervous about someting happeneing to my laptop and losing all hte music stored in my itunes library. Im not a technical person so Im looking for a safe easy way to keep my music stored safely. Whats the vote out there, is itunes match a good offering, or should we avoid?

Best option is to buy an external drive and copy all your music to that. Quick and easy back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

How do people find the service in general, once the matching is done!? I have a 16gig iphone so Its not take all my tunes. I have a hefty data package so streaming would be ideal, I mostly listen to music on public transport and mobile coverage can be hit and miss out in the sticks! Does it allow you to download tracks to your device on the fly so they can be listened to when your offline?

Advertisement