Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roscrea Premier Sale - 26 April 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

True they do but they are in a catch 22 situation from what I can see, some will say bulls are pushed hard to be in top condition for a show sale and to showcase what the bull is genetically capable of as regards beefing ability but this can affect the longevity of a young bull , can lead to foot problems because of the high protein diet, or fertility issues if the bull lays down fat in the scrotal area, only incident I came across was a neighbor that bought a tully tested bull and he did indeed have foot trouble, enough that the bull didn't even last the season.
    Maybe he had bad feet anyway and the hard push had nothing to do with it I dunno but here's the thing, if you saw a bull at a show that was a nice well bred bull and ticked all the boxes BUT had not been pushed you would be scratching the back of your head wondering what's wrong with him,doubtful if he'd even attract a bid because at the end of the day we all pick our bulls visually,you might be as far out as a lighthouse but everything else being equal you will buy the bull you like the look of .

ps the only way to know if you have chosen right is to have gotten it wrong previously :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Report here;
    http://www.irishlimousin.com/html/roscrea_heifer_sale_april_2012.html

An average of 4,000 Euro. I'm glad I didn't go now.
    What are people's feelings on these Premier Sales? Are they really the pick of the best, or is there a certain amount of politics involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Don't know about Limousin, but charolais prices were well back at Tullamore last Saturday. The champion failed to get bid over €3000 and he wasn't a young or a small bull.

Was looking at videos of that auctioneer selling bulls in Roscrea, dramatic or what! He's whisperin' one minute and shouting the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

pakalasa wrote: »
    Report here;
    http://www.irishlimousin.com/html/roscrea_heifer_sale_april_2012.html

An average of 4,000 Euro. I'm glad I didn't go now.
    What are people's feelings on these Premier Sales? Are they really the pick of the best, or is there a certain amount of politics involved.

dont know about lim sales now but i think and im open to correction on this that the some of the top char sales the stock are pre inspected so i believe if your stock arent up to scratch you cant enter them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    Don't know about Limousin, but charolais prices were well back at Tullamore last Saturday. The champion failed to get bid over €3000 and he wasn't a young or a small bull.

Was looking at videos of that auctioneer selling bulls in Roscrea, dramatic or what! He's whisperin' one minute and shouting the other!

The Chaorlais Bull prices in carrick were way back at the last sale too. There's just a glut of them. I think there were over 80 Chaorlais bulls on the day. There were only 12 Limousins and they averaged over €3000 with a high clearance. Most of the Chaorlais Bulls were brought home.

I don't have a limousin bull this year, but will have one for next march. I'll bet there will be a glut of them and he'll be sold at commercial prices. :eek:

You just can't win.

On a positive note I got a pedigree bull calf off Ampertaine Commander and my best pedigree cow last night. He's going to be a heartbreaker ;)

• Advertisement

dont know about lim sales now but i think and im open to correction on this that the some of the top char sales the stock are pre inspected so i believe if your stock arent up to scratch you cant enter them?

CH Society sales: They're checking their ball sacks now after you unload them with a graduated hoop of sorts (not just visually). Anything not meeting criteria goes back up the trailer. They must be certified BVD free too.

Testicle Measurements – All bulls must meet the following minimum criteria for testicle size. (Bulls not meeting the minimum criteria will NOT be allowed into the show & sale).
    Less than 13 months on day of sale – 30cm / Less than 15 months on day of sale – 31cm
    Less then 17 months on day of sale – 32cm / 17 months and over on day of sale – 33cm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    CH Society sales: They're checking their ball sacks now after you unload them with a graduated hoop of sorts (not just visually). Anything not meeting criteria goes back up the trailer. They must be certified BVD free too.

Testicle Measurements – All bulls must meet the following minimum criteria for testicle size. (Bulls not meeting the minimum criteria will NOT be allowed into the show & sale).
    Less than 13 months on day of sale – 30cm / Less than 15 months on day of sale – 31cm
    Less then 17 months on day of sale – 32cm / 17 months and over on day of sale – 33cm

i seem to remember the breeder i bought my last bull from saying he needed to bring his bulls to Tullamore to be preinspected before being allowed enter them for Xmas cracker that year, i could have that wrong now, seems like a lot of trouble to go to

You are right Vander. There are a few places you can bring them to to be preinspected for the premiers.

Extra hassle yes, but also extra wonga when you sell. Bulls sold at the charolais premiers this year made serious money, many over the €5000. Nice money when you can get it

Advertisement