Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker Damage - Rented Apartment

Options
  • 26-04-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

I'm living in a rented apartment atm. Last night we accidentally cracked the glass hob on our cooker. I stupidly dropped a rather weighty chopping board from a shelf above onto the cooker and there's now a pretty bad crack in a corner of the hob. It's definitely gonna need to be repaired/replaced.

Basically I'm wondering if I'm liable for the cost of repairing/replacing it or if it should be covered by the landlord's insurance (assuming he has insurance)?

I'm not trying to dodge paying if I am liable, just want to know where I should stand before I inform my landlord. He's a very decent guy so I don't imagine it turning into a major fuss or anyone digging in heels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Speaking as a landlord, if you broke it while engaged in normal business and didn't do something stupid like standing on it or hitting it with a hammer, I'd regard it as fair wear and tear. Only applicable for a good tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

You broke it due to lack of due care so you would be liable, chopping boards dropping onto hops from a height is not normal wear and tear. Obviously their was no intent on your behalf but ultimetly you are responsible for the cost of repair at least which will not be an option.

After that it depends on your landlord and relationship as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Thanks for the replies guys.

Have a very good relationship with the landlord so maybe we'll be able to come to some sort of agreement.

peter_dublin why do you say repair will not be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

conf101 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Have a very good relationship with the landlord so maybe we'll be able to come to some sort of agreement.

peter_dublin why do you say repair will not be an option?

Generally the glass surface is bonded to the frame and the cost of replacment as it will be hob specific (if available) will cost more for a callout of a appliance repair agent and the repair that it would to just go to Powercity and get a new hob and change it out which is baiscally only wired back to a wiring point under the counter which a landlord could do himself. €179 is the cheapest new hob on powercity.ie with a ceramic top so it would be 179 vs Callout Fee, Parts and Labour. The new hob should also be tax deductable over five years for the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭LorraineMcFly

conf101 wrote: »
    I'm living in a rented apartment atm. Last night we accidentally cracked the glass hob on our cooker. I stupidly dropped a rather weighty chopping board from a shelf above onto the cooker and there's now a pretty bad crack in a corner of the hob. It's definitely gonna need to be repaired/replaced.

Basically I'm wondering if I'm liable for the cost of repairing/replacing it or if it should be covered by the landlord's insurance (assuming he has insurance)?

I'm not trying to dodge paying if I am liable, just want to know where I should stand before I inform my landlord. He's a very decent guy so I don't imagine it turning into a major fuss or anyone digging in heels.
    This wasant normal wear and tear. albeit it was an accident but i think the onus is on you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

If I were you would replace it , you broke it , you will probably have to get an electrician to connect it for you as well. Right now cracked glass is dangerous , if something overflows you will know all about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mangledbadgers

Have similar query, accidentally dropped a jar from a press onto glass induction hob, which knocked a big hole in it (fist sized). Only difference here is the hob already had a big crack in it (it was quite old), and I feel the whole integrity of the hob would have been weakened. I mentioned to landlord who said they would look into it. I intend to move out soon and believe I will be stung for full cost of new hob out of my deposit. Any advice? Is this wear and tear or my fault entirely? Would landlords insurance cover this? Any advice appreciated!

Have similar query, accidentally dropped a jar from a press onto glass induction hob, which knocked a big hole in it (fist sized). Only difference here is the hob already had a big crack in it (it was quite old), and I feel the whole integrity of the hob would have been weakened. I mentioned to landlord who said they would look into it. I intend to move out soon and believe I will be stung for full cost of new hob out of my deposit. Any advice? Is this wear and tear or my fault entirely? Would landlords insurance cover this? Any advice appreciated!

I might consider a contribution but hard to see how any decent landlord would charge you the cost of a reacement if already cracked. I'd be loathe to use a cracked one in the first place so you could tell him be should already have replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

bertie1 wrote: »
    If I were you would replace it , you broke it , you will probably have to get an electrician to connect it for you as well. Right now cracked glass is dangerous , if something overflows you will know all about it .

I don't think that the OP should replace it with first speaking to the landlord. It is his property. He is the one to decide what happens to it, not the tenant. He may have a spare one from another one of his properties, or he may be able to source a replacement on the cheap, or he may have a preference for a particular make and model that he wants to put in. He also should be the one who decide what electrician (if any) does work in the house that he owns.

Agree that any replacement/repair cost should be paid by the tenant. This is not normal wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When we were renting out landlord replaced a hob my wife broke. Zanussi actually covered the cost and replaced it as we told them it broke when a pot was put on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

In my previous home, I broke the pane of glass from the inside of the oven door and I absolutely took full blame.
    I had the glass replaced and said nothing to the Landlord.

But if things broke down, such as the boiler or the washing machine, I felt that was his responsibility.
    Basically, if you break it, you replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Generally the glass surface is bonded to the frame and the cost of replacment as it will be hob specific (if available) will cost more for a callout of a appliance repair agent and the repair that it would to just go to Powercity and get a new hob and change it out which is baiscally only wired back to a wiring point under the counter which a landlord could do himself. €179 is the cheapest new hob on powercity.ie with a ceramic top so it would be 179 vs Callout Fee, Parts and Labour. The new hob should also be tax deductable over five years for the landlord.
    I know the post is old but that wouldn't be seen as a capital expense, rather a repair as the LL would only be reinstating what was there before the OP broke it. It would be allowable in its entirety in the accounting year in which it was replaced.

However, if one of my tenants broke a ceramic hob by dropping something on it (and there's really no other way) then I would request the tenant to pay for the replacement. I generally have no problem fixing wear and tear items (alarm broke recently and had to be fixed, clearly my responsibility and not the tenant's) but where a tenant breaks something due to their own carelessness then it's their responsibility to make good the damage, If I visited a friend and dropped a heavy pot on their ceramic hob and it broke I wouldn't say "wear and tear" now would I? I'd put my hand in my pocket and pay for the damage I'd done (actually here in Germany I'd make a claim on my general liability insurance, something almost nobody in Ireland has)

murphaph wrote: »
    I know the post is old but that wouldn't be seen as a capital expense, rather a repair as the LL would only be reinstating what was there before the OP broke it. It would be allowable in its entirety in the accounting year in which it was replaced.

However, if one of my tenants broke a ceramic hob by dropping something on it (and there's really no other way) then I would request the tenant to pay for the replacement. I generally have no problem fixing wear and tear items (alarm broke recently and had to be fixed, clearly my responsibility and not the tenant's) but where a tenant breaks something due to their own carelessness then it's their responsibility to make good the damage, If I visited a friend and dropped a heavy pot on their ceramic hob and it broke I wouldn't say "wear and tear" now would I? I'd put my hand in my pocket and pay for the damage I'd done (actually here in Germany I'd make a claim on my general liability insurance, something almost nobody in Ireland has)

Personally, I wouldn't leave a cracked ceramic hob in one of my rentals in case of other liabilities, hence why I think the landlord should be glad of a contribution and not have a further exposure in respect of a previously damaged appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Marcusm wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't leave a cracked ceramic hob in one of my rentals in case of other liabilities, hence why I think the landlord should be glad of a contribution and not have a further exposure in respect of a previously damaged appliance.
    You could remove the cracked hob and slot in a used basic steel ring replacement (in the case of a dispute with tenant over who is liable) as a temporary measure to cover any liabilities you might foresee. I mean, where do you stop if you replace things FoC that the tenant has broken through neglect?

This is why I'm currently looking to get change of use PP on a vacant and run down ex-residential unit we own and make it into a couple of retail units rather than reinstate the property as a residence....just too much hand holding required for Irish residential tenants. Reinstating it as a residence really will be a last resort. The LL is a surrogate mammy to many Irish tenants!

I only have 2 residential lets, the rest is light industrial/retail and I'm blessed in that the one residential let in Ireland is tenanted by great people who don't take the p!ss and the other one is in Germany where a fitted kitchen is a rarity but if one is provided and you break the hob you will sure as hell not be on an internet forum asking if the sodding landlord is liable for your clumsiness!

murphaph wrote: »
    You could remove the cracked hob and slot in a used basic steel ring replacement (in the case of a dispute with tenant over who is liable) as a temporary measure to cover any liabilities you might foresee. I mean, where do you stop if you replace things FoC that the tenant has broken through neglect?

This is why I'm currently looking to get change of use PP on a vacant and run down ex-residential unit we own and make it into a couple of retail units rather than reinstate the property as a residence....just too much hand holding required for Irish residential tenants. Reinstating it as a residence really will be a last resort. The LL is a surrogate mammy to many Irish tenants!

I only have 2 residential lets, the rest is light industrial/retail and I'm blessed in that the one residential let in Ireland is tenanted by great people who don't take the p!ss and the other one is in Germany where a fitted kitchen is a rarity but if one is provided and you break the hob you will sure as hell not be on an internet forum asking if the sodding landlord is liable for your clumsiness!

Maybe you and I are talking about different posts. I'm responding to johanneskraw who has resurrected an old thread but, in whose case, the reference is tothe hob having already been cracked. That's what I seek to remove or replace in my let, the damaged appliances before they lead to a claim (whether trumped up or serious) from injury. I'm not responding in respect of someone damaging a pristine appliance.

Advertisement