Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self service checkouts are turning many shoppers into thieves

• 26-04-2012 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

"Almost a third have admitted to stealing at scanners. Many trick machines by giving the wrong information Techniques include slipping extra items through and lying about which items they had

Almost a third have admitted to stealing while putting items through the scanners, with many tricking the machines by giving the wrong information. Additionally, a quarter of those who did not steal admitted their only reason for not doing so was fear of being caught".

Well done Daily Mail for teaching people how to shoplift from automated checkouts. This is one problem that supermarkets have brought upon themselves when they replace checkout staff with frustrating robots.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2135284/How-cheating-checkouts-turning-nation-self-service-shoplifters.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I don't find anything frustrating about self service checkouts, quite the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'm sure the chains ran their own tests to see if the increase in theft would be too much to offset the savings in wages. I presume it wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

They'd be fine except for the postage stamp sized area for packing your bags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Couldn't be arsed with'em myself. They seem a bit gimmicky to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I've noticed my shopping seems to be cheaper alrite when I use those self checking ones although if it doesn't scan straight away at the first swipe I just assume the product is free since the machine didn't get it ??

I mean if the'yre not going to invent their machines properly why should I have to bother to swipe it twice ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Owen wrote: »
    I don't find anything frustrating about self service checkouts, quite the opposite.
    A lot of this is down to the coding on the product, ie bar code being stretched on shrink wrapped frozen products etc I once told by assistance that it was my job to type in the number if the machine couldn't read it. Aldi and Lidl have overcome this problem with their own standard on coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i dont use them because usually if i am in a supermarket rather than a small shop, i am there to buy drink and you still have to get one of the people to come over and give you permission. so it's not quicker or easier, it's a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    They'd be fine except for the postage stamp sized area for packing your bags.
    what pisses me off is when I have my wheely trolly for going home I still have to cram everything on that; I can't just put it in my trolly. Other than that I love the things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Handy way to get rid of change those yokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

In Walmart in the states you can buy individual items or items in bulk. It's somewhat common for people to stick the barcode sticker from an individual item over the barcode sticker of the bulk item and then to pick an uninterested cashier to checkout.

Did it myself with playing cards a few years back, 12 decks for the price of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I use self-service checkouts because the're quicker and I use them honestly because I'm not a dirty scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

One day these self service checkouts will become self aware and we'll all be doomed.

Seachmall wrote: »
    In Walmart in the states you can buy individual items or items in bulk. It's somewhat common for people to stick the barcode sticker from an individual item over the barcode sticker of the bulk item and then to pick an uninterested cashier to checkout.

Did it myself with playing cards a few years back, 12 decks for the price of one.
    All bar coded products are individually weighed, surely this would have set off the alarm bells if something different / heavier was placed on the bagging scales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGAGE AREA

FUUUUUUUUU...........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

o1s1n wrote: »
    One day these self service checkouts will become self aware and we'll all be doomed.

yeah givin us wrong change 'n' shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

All bar coded products are individually weighed, surely this would have set off the alarm bells if something different / heavier was placed on the bagging scales.

It wasn't a self-checkout.

In fact, it's not really relevant to the thread at all, I'm simple reminiscing about my crime-lord days.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I believe that when compared with the saving potential on staff and the probability that someone will try to cheat on the price by choosing the cheaper bread etc., they are still profitable, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

The machines are quicker and friendlier

Already starting, two creepy adds from IBM promoting the next generation checkout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVcqoO761po

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDyqhcy1L-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I've accidentally done it once or twice. Too ashamed to go back and pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Only frustration I have with the machines is when someone tries to approach it with a trolly full of goods.

That or they just plain do not know how to use it. Put the item back on the scale you nitwit. :mad:

For all the stealing going on, I wonder how much the staff / business may pocket from people leaving their notes behind. I was 3rd in a queue two days a go and saw 45 euro total left behind by 3 different people in the space of 5 minutes. Lucky for them the staff member floating near by for assistance spotted it and gave it back each time. Shocking :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

Or the dreaded "Please take your items" while you are shoving coins, notes and reciepts back in your wallet/purse. Stop shouting at me, I'm going as quickly as I can. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Gmol wrote: »
    The machines are quicker and friendlier

And so far I've never seen two machines start a conversation with each other and hold me up for 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Or the dreaded "Please take your items" while you are shoving coins, notes and reciepts back in your wallet/purse. Stop shouting at me, I'm going as quickly as I can. :(
    I hate when they say 'I'm not mad at you,I'm just disappointed'.

It's much better than waiting in a queue behind female customers who look confused when they're asked for money. I never use a manned one now unless I have to go to feckin' Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's funny when you put a bag in the bagging area and get that message. I would have thought a bag in the bagging area wouldn't be that unexpected. In fact if I was to expect one item to be definitely in a bagging area, it would be a bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I've noticed my shopping seems to be cheaper alrite when I use those self checking ones although if it doesn't scan straight away at the first swipe I just assume the product is free since the machine didn't get it ??

I mean if the'yre not going to invent their machines properly why should I have to bother to swipe it twice ?

You assume very wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

http://192.20.225.36/tts/speech/8ccef760d176f6ba1a5be77b61004cdd.wav

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It's the only thing I like about Tesco. No ignorant grunts from the machine. No talking to their mates and lashing all the heavy goods down the packing area onto my now triangle bread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

It was made up bye a board jurno and he does work for the daily mail so come onnnnnnn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

not in tesco in arklow op, the staff hover over you like flys around shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭dinneenp

"Additionally, a quarter of those who did not steal admitted their only reason for not doing so was fear of being caught".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2135284/How-cheating-checkouts-turning-nation-self-service-shoplifters.html

Would this not be the same as why some people dont' steal in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

and cooks.

Domo230 wrote: »
    1 in 3 people!!!!!

Is it really that high?
    I know it's not a reputable paper but I find it hard to believe so many people would do such a scummy thing. But then again I hear statistics for loads of horrible things people do and can never picture anyone I know doing them.

Are the statistics messed up or is it my perception of people that they wouldn't stoop this low that is wrong?

I get the impression you believe in good and evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I don't buy the notion for one moment that self service checkout are turning people into thieves. They are just showing up those who will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Noxin wrote: »
    Only frustration I have with the machines is when someone tries to approach it with a trolly full of goods.

That or they just plain do not know how to use it. Put the item back on the scale you nitwit. :mad:

For all the stealing going on, I wonder how much the staff / business may pocket from people leaving their notes behind. I was 3rd in a queue two days a go and saw 45 euro total left behind by 3 different people in the space of 5 minutes. Lucky for them the staff member floating near by for assistance spotted it and gave it back each time. Shocking :pac:

Do you think the staff member should have kept the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

hmmm. scanning lovely empire apples as sh!te braeburn apples..

sticking it to the man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I dont steal from them but before when you scanned bread you would need to put it aside and I would often forget to bring it home with the rest of the groceries as they werent together

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Sin City wrote: »
    I dont steal from them but before when you scanned bread you would need to put it aside and I would often forget to bring it home with the rest of the groceries as they werent together

I'm pretty sure non-packaged Bread is free at the self service checkouts.
    I can never find the barcode on them so just assume they're free...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Self service checkouts are turning many shoppers into thieves ...
    Technology is non-deterministic. The scummers concerned were thieves to begin with.
    ... Well done Daily Mail for teaching people how to shoplift from automated checkouts. ...
    I very much doubt the daily wail can teach anybody anything; certainly not how to write, conduct surveys, etc.
    ... This is one problem that supermarkets have brought upon themselves when they replace checkout staff with frustrating robots ...
    I think the little auto-checkouts are cute and efficient, certainly more so than the dyed blonde, gum-chewing, rude and uninterested humans that infested the "manned" check-outs. Good move Tescos etc.
    It might have escaped OP's notice but the nation in question is the U bleedin' K so the notion of teaching the chavs etc. over there might be a unique one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

dey tuk er jerbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I use them in Tescos and Asda all the time and find them very convenient for avoiding the queue .As for putting items into the bagging area without scanning ,the automatic voice tells you very loudly '' unexpected item in bagging area...please remove and scan '' which is also heard by floor staff who monitor them for people having problems and looking for assistance but they are prone to mistakes like anything else ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

mathepac wrote: »
    Technology is non-deterministic. The scummers concerned were thieves to begin with.
    I very much doubt the daily wail can teach anybody anything; certainly not how to write, conduct surveys, etc.
    I think the little auto-checkouts are cute and efficient, certainly more so than the dyed blonde, gum-chewing, rude and uninterested humans that infested the "manned" check-outs. Good move Tescos etc.
    It might have escaped OP's notice but the nation in question is the U bleedin' K so the notion of teaching the chavs etc. over there might be a unique one.

Yes, because there are none in Ireland. A walk in Dublin is like strolling through the height of class and sophistication, not a chav/skanger in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I avoid them if all possible. I prefer to tell the checkout assistant about my life's problems rather than tell robo-checkout assistant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

summerskin wrote: »
    Yes, because there are none in Ireland. A walk in Dublin is like strolling through the height of class and sophistication, not a chav/skanger in sight.
    But they're ours an' we love them (from a safe distance behind the screens in court).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I use them when I have a small amount of shopping to get at Tescos or Superquinn. I don't see how it can be that easy to steal items at them given that they calculate the product scanned and its weight and there are always staff hovering around - ostensibly to offer "assistance" if the machine makes an error or to authorise alcohol and medications but I'm sure also to check that shoppers aren't putting things from their baskets into their bags without scanning.

Tesco used to have self-service checkouts with big conveyor belts presumably for people with trollies full of shopping but got rid of these as they probably weren't very efficient or as fast as a conventional checkout. Self service checkouts are most suited to small amounts of shopping.

And not every checkout cashier is an ignorant, bubble gum chewing grunting peroxide bint - many are actually quite pleasant believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I once got a plastic bag for free.

I put my stuff through and then decided I needed a bag, so I asked the assistant and she just gave me one.

I thought I was going to see myself on Garda Patrol, but no I totally got away with it. I felt like a master criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Self service checkouts are grand until someone decides to check a couple of trolleys through. 10 items or less please!

• Advertisement
Advertisement