Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self service checkouts are turning many shoppers into thieves

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

kylith wrote: »
    what pisses me off is when I have my wheely trolly for going home I still have to cram everything on that; I can't just put it in my trolly. Other than that I love the things.

They're supposed to double as express checkouts if they're only the ones with the small spaces =\ that's why some of the bigger stores have self checkouts with conveyor belts and a packing area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

hmmm. scanning lovely empire apples as sh!te braeburn apples..

sticking it to the man!

Ah now, there's nothing wrong with the odd little Braeburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Unexpected item in the baggage area.

Oh ok mr machine ill just pop it into my trolly, sorry to bother you.

Can you actually be caught stealing with these? Surely you could just say "oops, silly machine didn't tell me I did it wrong."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

This is one problem that supermarkets have brought upon themselves when they replace checkout staff with frustrating robots.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2135284/How-cheating-checkouts-turning-nation-self-service-shoplifters.html

What? The only person responsible for stealing is the thief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Ah yes, the good old Daily Fail amusing us yet again with tales of stuff that's morally wrong or something... :rolleyes:
    Domo230 wrote: »
    1 in 3 people!!!!!

Is it really that high?
    I know it's not a reputable paper but I find it hard to believe so many people would do such a scummy thing. But then again I hear statistics for loads of horrible things people do and can never picture anyone I know doing them.

Are the statistics messed up or is it my perception of people that they wouldn't stoop this low that is wrong?

I wouldn't trust that figure Domo. In fairness 72% of statistics are made up on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

I don't get it:confused: I dont have to shove things up my jumper now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

o1s1n wrote: »
    One day these self service checkouts will become self aware and we'll all be doomed.

What are they going to do, overcharge me for a banana? The till workers already do that

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

I prefer them to be honest, usually no queue because most people are lazy and dont want to do it themselves. Never stole from one before, no intention to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

When I read the thread title I immediately thought of the Daily Mail! I wonder why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

NiallFH wrote: »
    I prefer them to be honest, usually no queue because most people are lazy and dont want to do it themselves. Never stole from one before, no intention to.

I agree. I'm sure it would be pretty simple to take advantage of the system but I personally have never been remotely tempted to.

One thing that does annoy me however is that the bagging area with the scales is ridiculously small. As soon as a carrier is full you are screwed. if you try to move it slighgly to the side to start filling another the woman in the machine has a fit!

I find them grand to use, except when the little kid at the next machine decides to sit on your bagging area: unexpected item in the bagging area!

Fcuk off, you little b****x.

Oh, and Tesco's girl has an English accent. And why does she say "Notes are dispensed below the scanner" when there are no notes in the change?

And Superquinn's girl: Please take your items.
    Me: I'm fcuking taking them, bitch.
    Her: Please take your items.
    Me (starting to fumble items and drop them): STFU!

Other than that, it's grand.

Please take your items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I find them grand to use, except when the little kid at the next machine decides to sit on your bagging area: unexpected item in the bagging area!

Fcuk off, you little b****x.

Oh, and Tesco's girl has an English accent. And why does she say "Notes are dispensed below the scanner" when there are no notes in the change?

And Superquinn's girl: Please take your items.
    Me: I'm fcuking taking them, bitch.
    Her: Please take your items.
    Me (starting to fumble items and drop them): STFU!

Other than that, it's grand.

Please take your items.

They do dispense notes. Perhaps you're one of those who walks off without them as referenced earlier in thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Uninvited auld hag in your bag area, please check your items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's a reminder in case you only pick up your loose change and wonder were any change in notes are .I did walk away once from the self service machine with coins only to realise I had forgot the £10 note change and lucky enough ,it was still there when I got back ...it does happen .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't care about the morality of it but the thought - as a grown man - of getting nabbed in the local Tesco in front of everybody for nicking a pot of jam or something....well, each to their own I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

seamus wrote: »
    I use self-service checkouts because the're quicker and I use them honestly because I'm not a dirty scumbag.
    me too..its never even crossed my mind to try and steal from my local suoermarket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

SteoL wrote: »
    They do dispense notes. Perhaps you're one of those who walks off without them as referenced earlier in thread.

He meant that the machine says it, regardless of the amount of change they give you (i.e., less than a fiver)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

o1s1n wrote: »
    One day these self service checkouts will become self aware and we'll all be doomed.

Skynet - Every Little Helps

Originally Posted by Pherekydes

Oh, and Tesco's girl has an English accent

Option A : press one for the deluct tones of dublin 10,12,14,23,and all other co Dublin / Irish rigional accents

Option B: for Dublin 4

Option C : all non English speaking accents .

;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I'll tell u sometin, they've more manners than some of the staff I've dealt with in Dunnes Stores in Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement

I'll tell u sometin, they've more manners than some of the staff I've dealt with in Dunnes Stores in Blanchardstown.
    Them bitches be crazy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

People over faceless machines any day.

I can't stand it when they don't change the accent on them yokes.

And why does she say "Notes are dispensed below the scanner" when there are no notes in the change?

Superquinn's girl mentions notes only when there are notes in the change.That's what I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

hmmm. scanning lovely empire apples as sh!te braeburn apples..

sticking it to the man!
    :eek:
    Braeburn apples are the best ones!!!

I HHHHAAAAAAATTTEEEEE these f**kin machines. I will choose the real person service every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I HHHHAAAAAAATTTEEEEE these f**kin machines. I will choose the real person service every time.

But then you've got to interact with a human :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Assistance is on it's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭puddinboxxx

Money left behind is kept at the customer service desk with a note saying which till and what time it was left at,you will need your receipt to claim any money left,after 4 weeks it is donated to charity,tescos charity this year is aware which deals with depression so if you do forget your cash try and be happy that it went to a good cause and not into tommy tescos back pocket :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

But then you've got to interact with a human :eek:

I like humans. Generally....

And why does she say "Notes are dispensed below the scanner" when there are no notes in the change?

Superquinn's girl mentions notes only when there are notes in the change.That's what I meant.

Oh right, gotcha. Sorry, completely misread your post.

be happy that it went to a good cause and not into tommy tescos back pocket :)

Or the person behind you in the queue pockets it.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

44leto wrote: »
    I once got a plastic bag for free.

I put my stuff through and then decided I needed a bag, so I asked the assistant and she just gave me one.

I thought I was going to see myself on Garda Patrol, but no I totally got away with it. I felt like a master criminal.

LOL.

me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

How the fook do you nick stuff from a self service check out? :o silly people.

Money left behind is kept at the customer service desk with a note saying which till and what time it was left at,you will need your receipt to claim any money left,after 4 weeks it is donated to charity,tescos charity this year is aware which deals with depression so if you do forget your cash try and be happy that it went to a good cause and not into tommy tescos back pocket :)

lol, money left behind pays for the shopping of the next person in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA

FUUUUUUUUU...........:mad:

FYP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Handy way to get rid of change those yokes.

Yeah as long as theres not a long line of shoppers behind you. I heard them tut-tuting at some old lady emptying a purse full of loose change and feeding it in penny by penny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

poppyvally wrote: »
    Yeah as long as theres not a long line of shoppers behind you. I heard them tut-tuting at some old lady emptying a purse full of loose change and feeding it in penny by penny
    I just dump all the change from my pocket in and let the imps inside count it they're too busy to be dishonest and the voice hag probably shouts at them too.

If you wanted to steal something it would be a lot easier to shove it in an oversized handbag when you're down the aisles than when you're at the self service till with barcode scanners, talking weigh scales, till staff and security guards watching you. The old ways are always the best:rolleyes:

They're best for express/mini shop visits, if you have a trolleyload it's worth letting someone else scan and you concentrate on packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭puddinboxxx

lol, money left behind pays for the shopping of the next person in line.

Can happen but if the self scan assistant is quick enough(like me)I usuaslly spot it before they get out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I hear a UK report says one third of people admit to cheating at self service check outs. How about you?

I hear we have already had a thread on this, with links and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Having a **** is cheating now?!?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Adhamh

Cheating? Don't you mean stealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

the gf wouldnt be happy at all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I hear we have already had a thread on this, with links and everything.

Great - couldn't find it - any chance of a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I hear a UK report says one third of people admit to cheating at self service check outs. How about you?

Some of my friends work at security so I wouldn't feck anything at the self service till.

Advertisement