Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA/Pro Evo Etiquette

Options
  • 26-04-2012 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭

I remember this subject came up a few months back but I'm not sure if it got its own thread. If it did then hopefully this can be merged.

A few years ago if you were playing a multi-player game of Pro Evo, chances are it was with friends and in my experience most circles of friends have a certain accepted etiquette in terms of how you behave and the things that you do. But now with online gaming you can be playing against someone of a different age, different background, different culture and so it's difficult to judge how you should be behaving.

So, what do you consider to be poor online etiquette? Or what have you seen people complain about others doing but don't see a problem with yourself?

For example, I've seen people moan about replays and in the Boards league I never watch replays because I'm aware how it seems to piss people off, but personally I quite like to watch the first replay, even if it's not a great goal. If nothing else it lets you have a sip of your drink. But on the other hand, second replays annoy me and if it gets to the point where the other player is controlling camera angles, etc, then I'm usually raging.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I seem to have three times more posts in that thread than anyone else on the forum so didn't forget it but meh, I think it's different as I'm speaking specifically about gaming etiquette rather than gameplay issues.

Plus I didn't want to discount our Pro Evo playing cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Online gaming & tournament play are usually a different kettle of fish than casual play with friends when it comes to etiquette (although I often play the same way).

So...if playing friends:
    Skip celebrations (would prefer FIFA Street style where it just does it automatically)
    Skip replays (unless stunning)

Friend has a rule where if the GK passes it short (that accidental A press), you have to try and take it past the keeper.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

See, with friends we'd savour every single replay. Especially if there's a bunch of us there a few beers down and even more especially if it's a rubbish goal (two defelctions and then onto the woodwork and in preferably).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Beefy78 wrote: »
    See, with friends we'd savour every single replay. Especially if there's a bunch of us there a few beers down and even more especially if it's a rubbish goal (two defelctions and then onto the woodwork and in preferably).

Two deflections and in off the post deserves all the replays it can get though! :D Ridiculous or sublime goals have their special place where everyone can enjoy it.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Friend has a rule where if the GK passes it short (that accidental A press), you have to try and take it past the keeper.

For this we have a rule that we have to take the ball outside of the box and play a pass, and then carry on as normal.

I hate when someone pauses it 3 times at the very end to annoy you, and then doesn't press A at the end of the game.

Came across another guy who I was beating 4-0 in the second half, and he scored relentless own goals for 40 mins to waste my time or make me quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Came across another guy who I was beating 4-0 in the second half, and he scored relentless own goals for 40 mins to waste my time or make me quit.

That happened to me in FIFA 11.

I was Inter against Barca. I was playing my press at about the halfway so wasn't bothered closing him down in his own half. About 10 minutes in he's sitting halfway into his own half jsut doing tricks with Pique so I just leave him there. He tries to be smart and bang the ball back to Valdes, but it's too high, Valdes can't use his hands and it goes in off the bar. He spends the remainder of the game scoring another 31 own goals and I get one from a corner too to win 33-0. I just sat there surfing boards glancing towards the tv now and then the entire second half. I get the ball with about 5 to go and just pass it around the back so he can't quit but he turns off his router/Ps3 and the session ends.

Why bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Frisbee wrote: »

That happened to me in FIFA 11.

I was Inter against Barca. I was playing my press at about the halfway so wasn't bothered closing him down in his own half. About 10 minutes in he's sitting halfway into his own half jsut doing tricks with Pique so I just leave him there. He tries to be smart and bang the ball back to Valdes, but it's too high, Valdes can't use his hands and it goes in off the bar. He spends the remainder of the game scoring another 31 own goals and I get one from a corner too to win 33-0. I just sat there surfing boards glancing towards the tv now and then the entire second half. I get the ball with about 5 to go and just pass it around the back so he can't quit but he turns off his router/Ps3 and the session ends.

Why bother?
    Fifa 11?

No league system, why would anyone bother :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Because they're super lame I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I aim to hack the man who passes from tip if some grumpy asshole does this relentlesss OG thing. He gets a free kick then which I have a good chance of intercepting. I then piss him off by passing the ball non-stop for the rest of the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I remember this subject came up a few months back but I'm not sure if it got its own thread. If it did then hopefully this can be merged.

A few years ago if you were playing a multi-player game of Pro Evo, chances are it was with friends and in my experience most circles of friends have a certain accepted etiquette in terms of how you behave and the things that you do. But now with online gaming you can be playing against someone of a different age, different background, different culture and so it's difficult to judge how you should be behaving.

So, what do you consider to be poor online etiquette? Or what have you seen people complain about others doing but don't see a problem with yourself?

For example, I've seen people moan about replays and in the Boards league I never watch replays because I'm aware how it seems to piss people off, but personally I quite like to watch the first replay, even if it's not a great goal. If nothing else it lets you have a sip of your drink. But on the other hand, second replays annoy me and if it gets to the point where the other player is controlling camera angles, etc, then I'm usually raging.

Personally I find that the etiquette I apply differs from opponent to opponent. When playing friends we have a self-imposed code that we normally adhere to: crossing from inside the box, passing to a teammate when through one-on-one with the keeper and closing down short goal kicks are strictly forbidden. If someone scores via any of those methods then it's expected that they score an O.G. to compensate.

Online though, it's a different kettle of fish. I originally (naively!) tried to bring this over to the online side of FIFA. When I saw how what we banned was exactly how most people seemed to score though, I grudgingly resorted to replicating those tactics against the perpetrators. Other aspects of gameplay that I'd consider to be contrary to an ideal etiquette include:

- Playing 5-2-3 and hoofing the ball over the top (especially when using manual controls - it's extremely difficult to break down as well as defend against).
    - Quitting within 5 minutes upon conceding an early goal.
    - Turning on another internet device when winning. Trying to score an equaliser during lag is nigh on impossible...
    - Excessive replay watching.
    - Using Real Madrid every single game.

I'm sure there are more, but luckily most players that I've met lately are pretty 'fair'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Pretty simple for me really.

1. No replays online. If you're with friends it has to be agreed in advance that they'll be watched. The same for celebrations. I think both should be locked online actually.
    2. No hacking down someone when they're in on goal.
    3. No closing down the goalkeeper's pass out. Drop off the defence entirely. This actually benefits you because if it's played long you've congested the middle of the park. If it goes short to a free centre half, you take it as it goes.
    4. Cutbacks...are fine. If you've let yourself get into the position where one can be exploited, that's just your own tough luck.

Expecting random people online to meet an acceptable standard of behaviour isn't realistic in the slightest of course. Still, it's nice to dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

Not a lot in terms of etiquette annoys me online. There are a few things that I think is a bit unsporting though.

1) Using Madrid and Milan every game.

2) Using the best team of any star rating and playing 5 at the back with them with no real midfield.

3) People who mash slide tackle all game with no real intention or plan. It just disrupts the flow of the game and don't see how it benefits anyone. And with the inconsistent refereeing multiple fouls don't get punished enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Today is only my 2nd day playing FIFA, and already considering giving up on the whole online thing.

Worst game so far had a guy with his mic on, but only to breath heavily into it every few seconds, while also taking the maximum time to take all set-pieces, making 3 separate substitutes (again, taking maximum time), and not pressing A either at the start or end of the game.

It really is ridiculous that EA make it capable to be so annoying, but then again, maybe I'm just not used to it.

Advertisement