Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall and gutter gardens

Options
  • 26-04-2012 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Even with limited space, some people get great results. I think the photo below is from the US
    564326_10150741862677436_104062822435_9540341_735313839_n.jpg

This inspired me to grow legumes in a similar fashion, and between my work and the sheer hassle, peas and beans are not worth all the work with the stakes and poles.
    So, on the above photo - having some old guttering handy I fixed it onto the outside of a shoring board

peagutter.jpg

Using the fence for support and concentrating on climbing green beans and mange tout to avoid all the shelling etc.
    I plan to plant both sides of the fence to see how the plants do.

I have a SE facing sheltered wall. This year I am going to try hanging baskets for tomato - trying a few different varieties to see which works best in our climate.
    Behind the trellis - which will be used to grow gherkins and squash, is just some ground cover to proted the paintwork and absorb more heat into the wall

trellis.jpg

Knocking up some boxes to place the gherkin and squash plans, will also incorporate delicate herbs like basil and corriander.

Hope it all works, but it goes to show even with limited space you can produce quite substancial amounts of food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Best of luck, hope it works out.
    That an ingenious space saver idea (original pic). Do you have the link? Looks like they pump the water to the top one then is drains down down down through each gutter, not flooding any of them but watering all of them :)
    Oh if I just had the time on my hands!
    Cheers

Advertisement