Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Acting Wierd

• 26-04-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Dog Acting Wierd
    Hi... I have a 2.5 year old Siberian Husky, Roxy is her name. Lately she has been acting very wierd. She used to sleep in the Utility room every night and loved to be inside. Now all she wants to do is go into her kennell with her toys and not come out at all. she is hardly eating either. We noticed yesterday that she was putting her toys under her as if they were pups feeding.. Plus she wont let us even remotely near them and guards the kennel... very confused. Anyone any thoughts on what may be up with her? She is also breathing heavy and panting a lot even tho not doing anything strenous... Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is she neutered? Sounds like she could be having a phantom pregnancy. Is there any chance she could be in pup?

If shes not spayed i highly advise you to get her done as phantoms can keep occurring once they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

No she isnt neutered... i since looked up Phantom Pregnancy and totally sounds like what she is going through... i thought it was me :( She shouldnt be in pup as she is kept in once she goes into heat. alot of work but great dog so worth it... Thanks for ur reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

clareames wrote: »
    No she isnt neutered... i since looked up Phantom Pregnancy and totally sounds like what she is going through... i thought it was me :( She shouldnt be in pup as she is kept in once she goes into heat. alot of work but great dog so worth it... Thanks for ur reply

I really would suggest you get her spayed, as these will keep happening otherwise and its very unfair on her to keep putting her through that as its quite stressful on them when it happens.
    Also look out for signs of Pyometra, which can be very serious in bitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Just to agree with andreac really, I know its a nice few quid for a big dog like a husky but you should have her spayed. I had a terrier that had a phantom pregnancy, felt so bad for her that I got her spayed asap after it. Its very likely to keep happening if it happens once and its not really fair on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Def a phantom. Poor things think they are having babies and are left with nothing but disappointment. Is she producing milk? This can sometimes happen with phantoms as the mind tricks the body into thinking its pregnant. They can even swell up like they have a belly full of pups. If she is producing milk there is a medication your vet may prescribe if they feel it necessary called Galastop, this might tide her over til you get her spayed. My childhood dog used to take the stale heel of soda bread and mammy it until her phantom was over when she would either eat or bury it! Would have hated to see her with real pups :D best of luck with it, it can be so stressful :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

clareames wrote: »
    Dog Acting Wierd
    Hi... I have a 2.5 year old Siberian Husky, Roxy is her name. Lately she has been acting very wierd. She used to sleep in the Utility room every night and loved to be inside. Now all she wants to do is go into her kennell with her toys and not come out at all. she is hardly eating either. We noticed yesterday that she was putting her toys under her as if they were pups feeding.. Plus she wont let us even remotely near them and guards the kennel... very confused. Anyone any thoughts on what may be up with her? She is also breathing heavy and panting a lot even tho not doing anything strenous... Please help!

This is sounding very like a phantom pregnancy, my terrier had these regularly, have her spayed. It will save her a lot of disappointment ! And also you will not have to endure your dog going through this a few times a year as she is still young.

Advertisement