Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope Ring Height

Options
  • 26-04-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone knows this off-hand.

I am mounting a Sightron 8-32x56 30mm Tube (hasn't arrived yet) on a Remmy 700 VLSSF using a Picany 20MOA Rail.

What is the Lowest scope ring I can get away with?? I will probably end up with Warnes (even though I hate them), Maybe Burris X-treme.

I don't want to order Highs if Mediums would do... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

You might get away with Low's because of the rail. I have an 12-42 x 56 NXS on a Nightforce 20moa rail on my SPS Varmint and Low Burris Signature Zee rings with a bit of play still left.
    With the objective out in front of the rail, you'd be surprised how much the rail adds.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

Have a Nightforce 8-32x56 on my Tikka Supervarmint with EGW 20moa rail and Warne medium rings. There's still 3-4 mm between the barrel and objective. So I'd say medium should do you fine. If it wasn't varmint barrel probably Warne low would do, thats what I'm planing to get for tikka lite( with picatinny rail of course).Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Cheers guys,

Looks like I'll get away with the Mediums. :D I'd almost be tempted to try for lows! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

From a quick look at the Warne site, the difference between low and medium is .125", or about 3.1mm. If your looking to get as close as possible, it might be worth borrowing or "try before you buy" some lows.
    On the other hand, if your buying off the net, probably just safer to go with medium. Especially if your gonna put a cover on the front at any stage.

dos29 wrote: »
    From a quick look at the Warne site, the difference between low and medium is .125", or about 3.1mm. If your looking to get as close as possible, it might be worth borrowing or "try before you buy" some lows.
    On the other hand, if your buying off the net, probably just safer to go with medium. Especially if your gonna put a cover on the front at any stage.

I'll have a look around. I want to get as close to the barrel as possible.
    I often have to use cheek risers on stocks to get good weld so I like to have the scope sitting Very Low. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

When it comes to scope rings I am a fan of "try before you buy". Sometimes the local dealers won't have what I want but it is fair handy to arrive on with rifle and scope and do a quick check there and then in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Go with the Burris xtreme 6 screw mounts. Good value and cheap enough.
    Look at ebay.com for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Here is a post from Ezri that explains it quiet well. I used this to decide what NF rings I needed for the Sightron 10-50x60.
    Ezridax wrote: »
    Usually what i do is;
    • Take the diameter of the objective lense, say 50mm.
    • Add 3mm for the width of the housing and 3mm for the minimum height off the barrel.
    • That gives 56mm.
    • Split that which gives our height from the barrel to the centre lineof the scope tube. So 28mm.
    • Now measure the height of the rail.
    • Say its 7mm.
    • Take the 7mm from the 28 mm leaving you with 21mm and thats th height of the rings you need. (21mm = 7/8" (or a tad less))
    Once you have this number you smply need to find out how the manufacturer measures their rings. For example some measure their's from the base of the ring (the falt piece that sits on the rail/receiver) to the bottom of the curve (where the tube sits). Some measure from the base of the ring to the centre of the ring diameter (centre line of the tube if you will).

Once you figure this out you choose accordingly.

A gentleman on this forum has posted me some Burris Xtreme Mediums in exchange for a favour. :)

At least if they are the wrong height I can order lows and return them without being out of pocket :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

hi i have the same gun as your self and 20 moa rail i have a 3.5 x 15x 56 nightforce had to fit medium scope rings and burris extremes were perfect

• Advertisement

steyrman2 wrote: »
    hi i have the same gun as your self and 20 moa rail i have a 3.5 x 15x 56 nightforce had to fit medium scope rings and burris extremes were perfect

Looks like im on to a winner then!
    Hopefully my Sister has posted the Sightron from the States by now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Glensman wrote: »
    A gentleman on this forum has posted me some Burris Xtreme Mediums in exchange for a favour. :)

At least if they are the wrong height I can order lows and return them without being out of pocket :D
    The burris medium measure 12.7mm from the top of the base to the bottom of the ring
    The burris low measure 6.35mm which is 6.35mm difference in height between the two so you would need to make sure the low would fit before ordering.
    I use TPS low 30mm rings which measure 8.5mm so they could be another option if your not happy with the burris.

Advertisement