Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Cinemas

Options
  • 26-04-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning on goin watching the avengers this weekend, i've only been to douglas cinema once and i felt that the screen wasnt the best, maybe it was the film i watched (thor) but colour wasnt great. Anyone got a similar opinion or is the screen quality of a similar standard in all cinemas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I doubt it was the movie because Douglas cinema is one of the older in the city (correct me if I'm wrong though). The lighting might not have been the best. I would say your best bet is the Omniplex in Mahon. That's where I'm going to see it. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

The omniplex is awesome, but it's a bit of a trek for me, so I usually settle for the gate cinema in town. Up side of the omniplex - you can grab some nandos!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Yep me too, can't beat a Nando's and the cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Cork Omniplex has the best screen and sound. It costs more and is a balls to get to though!

All films are getting darker these days because of the 3D nonsense, meaning both D's are not being projected correctly. Scorcese was just giving out about it yesterday :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/apr/26/scorsese-film-3d-dark-screens

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fishrman

Have to say mahon point is in a league of its own. People with big heads in front of you? No problem. Want some cheap unhealthy food before/after? Foodcourt to the rescue. Parking for the Micra? Free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mossy2390

mahon is by far the best, only problem is the popcorn and drinks are extortionate prices!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mahon Point are showing it in 2D so go there. Gate is where I'd generally go to though, tis cheap, about a 15 minute walk away and tis generally quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Fishrman wrote: »
    Have to say mahon point is in a league of its own. People with big heads in front of you? No problem. Want some cheap unhealthy food before/after? Foodcourt to the rescue. Parking for the Micra? Free.
    I Concur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Well, I'm away for weekend and have been waiting to see avengers since Iron Man, workin late so douglas was only option for 2D (3D is painful, hate it). Got there saw first 2 mins, LEFT, shocking quality, even the girlfriend agreed. Went home with the popcorn and drinks and put on a dvd. I like Mahon but only for big blockbusters, too expensive, two people can go to gate and get popcorn for 16 quid (i get discount tickets), Mahon is at least 35 plus when you throw in an uncontrollable desire for haagen Daas, i'm facing almost 50. I go to cinema maybe 3 times a month so, the gate suits me fine for most films.

Thankfully its being noticed that screens are darker, its being bugging me lately, the quality on the screen has been poor of late. Lesson learned regards Douglas though, pity cause its close by and if it was decent it'd prob be my regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

avengers tomorrow :D CANT WAIT. dont forget to wait after the credits people.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

the avengers was amazing :D

spotted this while out there as well..

sKNdg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 corkcoco

Knew that this was on the cards for some time now but seeing it on the front page of the Echo has really confirmed it for me. I have to say that I am disappointed & believe that laying the blame on Mahon point is a bit of a cop out. I believe that the reason the Douglas cinema is closing is because of lack of investment. The desire for people to go to see a movie in a cinema has never been greater that it is now.

Advertisement