Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to LAFHA?

• 26-04-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Starting a new job on Monday, would i qualify for LAFHA?
    Also one more quick one, my tax rate is going to be 17.5% does this sound about right for a whv worker?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

zweton wrote: »

Starting a new job on Monday, would i qualify for LAFHA?

Yes as long as the employer agree's to it, although for temporary residents its gone 1st July

zweton wrote: »

Also one more quick one, my tax rate is going to be 17.5% does this sound about right for a whv worker?

Depends on how much you are getting paid.

Tax rates 2011-12
    The following rates for 2011-12 apply from 1 July 2011.
    Taxable income
    Tax on this income

0 - $6,000 Nil

$6,001 - $37,000
    15c for each $1 over $6,000

$37,001 - $80,000
    $4,650 plus 30c for each $1 over $37,000

$80,001 - $180,000
    $17,550 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000

$180,001 and over
    $54,550 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000
    Residency - what you need to know

Introduction
    To understand your tax situation, you must first work out whether you are an Australian resident for tax purposes. Australian residents are generally taxed on their worldwide income and non-residents are generally taxed only on their Australian-sourced income.
    The residency tests we use to work out your residency status for tax purposes are not the same as those used by other Australian agencies for other purposes such as immigration.
    Generally, you are an Australian resident for tax purposes if any of the following applies:
    you have always lived in Australia
    you moved to Australia and live here permanently
    you have been in Australia continuously for six months or more, and for most of the time you have been
    in the same job, and
    living in the same place
    you have been in Australia for more than half of the financial year, unless
    your usual home is overseas, and
    you do not intend to live in Australia.

Advertisement