Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

anyone know of anywhere close to the start which is free to park on a saturday?

I could park somewhere else and run to the start as part of the lsr but wouldn't mind starting from the start.

Like to run from start to terenure area and back into start.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

My understanding of it is ....

The aim of the LSR is to get you used to time on your feet running. In order to allow you to increase the time on your feet you need to run a bit slower so there is always some extra in the tank.

Each weeks training is being built upon tired legs so you're never really at 100% during the process. However you taper (rest / decreased distances) coming into the marathon so on the day you are starting fresher.

Lastly the adrenaline of race day, the crowds and support etc will drive you on an extra few percent too.

All 3 factors combine to make a faster race day pace that is still sustainable.

Thanks to all for their answers. So, do you conciously start a race at a faster pace than your training. Seems to me, to start a marathon at 10:30 pace when all your LSRs have been at 11:30, is extremely courageous!

By the way Pageant Messiah, I've also been lurking on your training log which I find to be truely inspirational and motivating. Thanks for that, and well done!

greenb wrote: »
    Thanks to all for their answers. So, do you conciously start a race at a faster pace than your training. Seems to me, to start a marathon at 10:30 pace when all your LSRs have been at 11:30, is extremely courageous!

By the way Pageant Messiah, I've also been lurking on your training log which I find to be truely inspirational and motivating. Thanks for that, and well done!

I know it isn't a marathon but I ran the Fingal 10km race faster than I have ever ran a session before of any distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Yes but LSR's are only one part of your training. You will have also done other runs at a quicker pace and some programs have Marathon Pace Runs which give you the feel of covering distance at your targeted pace. Plans for more advanced runners have even more speedwork involved. There is no guarantee for novice runners that because they do x pace in their LSR runs that they will be able to go 1 minute a mile faster in the race itself.

As suggested before take your current shorter times and put them into the McMillan Calculator. This will give you an idea as to what training paces you should use, apply this to whatever plan you are following and then adjust as you go along e.g. after a more recent race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Don't forget that on race day, your legs will be fresh due to the taper, and don't underestimate the affect of the crowds and the sense of occassion on the day, that can be a real motivator.

But as the experts here say, there's no guarantee that you will be able to race at that quicker pace. That's why the advice for first timers is not to get too bogged down by time. Enjoy your first marathon and use that time to improve upon!

That's what the experts say anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Yes but LSR's are only one part of your training. You will have also done other runs at a quicker pace and some programs have Marathon Pace Runs which give you the feel of covering distance at your targeted pace. Plans for more advanced runners have even more speedwork involved. There is no guarantee for novice runners that because they do x pace in their LSR runs that they will be able to go 1 minute a mile faster in the race itself.

As suggested before take your current shorter times and put them into the McMillan Calculator. This will give you an idea as to what training paces you should use, apply this to whatever plan you are following and then adjust as you go along e.g. after a more recent race.

Thanks Dazza, I will do that. My only real race so far has been a 5k, which I did in 24:58. I did really surprise myself, as had only ever run 29 to 30 min 5ks in training. However I also promptly threw up on the finish line and thought I was going to die!! (I am old and fat:(!) I know I need more and probably longer races for mcmillan to give me a better indication. Right now, based on the 5k above it's telling me 4:03:16:eek:! just having difficulty getting my head around starting a long race at a pace significantly faster than training pace. Guess, i'll just keep running and get more experience.

Thanks Dazza, I will do that. My only real race so far has been a 5k, which I did in 24:58. I did really surprise myself, as had only ever run 29 to 30 min 5ks in training. However I also promptly threw up on the finish line and thought I was going to die!! (I am old and fat:(!) I know I need more and probably longer races for mcmillan to give me a better indication. Right now, based on the 5k above it's telling me 4:03:16:eek:! just having difficulty getting my head around starting a long race at a pace significantly faster than training pace. Guess, i'll just keep running and get more experience.

Not a bad time for your first race at all. I think the throwing up is a sign that you have pushed yourself to the limit which strangely is a good thing! The slower runs help build up your fitness and muscles without taking too much toll on your body. You should consider even at this stage of introducing a longer slow run into your training and gradually increase the distance over time. It will give you better fitness and endurance over the shorter distances and get you used to a longer run which is central part of any marathon training plan.

joe40 wrote: »
    29th today - 2 months left

Some people have mentioned diet and I am in the same boat. Carrying a few pounds which I must really loose, especially with lots of long runs looming it is bound to be an extra strain on joints and muscles.

Maybe we could look for a group lippo discount. I aim to get another 1/2 - 1 stone off myself before the big day. Already got around 2 1/2 off this year so making steady progress.

I read somewhere (was on internet so must be true!!) that for every extra pound that you carry in fat it is costing you approx 3 seconds per mile. So by my calculations 2 stone overweight would add an extra 36 mins to your time. Gonna remind myself of that the next time a skinny person flies by me in a race

Maybe we could look for a group lippo discount. I aim to get another 1/2 - 1 stone off myself before the big day. Already got around 2 1/2 off this year so making steady progress.

I read somewhere (was on internet so must be true!!) that for every extra pound that you carry in fat it is costing you approx 3 seconds per mile. So by my calculations 2 stone overweight would add an extra 36 mins to your time. Gonna remind myself of that the next time a skinny person flies by me in a race

I've lost about 10% of my body weight over the last year. I was only about 12 1/4 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Trampas wrote: »

I read somewhere (was on internet so must be true!!) that for every extra pound that you carry in fat it is costing you approx 3 seconds per mile. So by my calculations 2 stone overweight
    would add an extra 36 mins to your time. Gonna remind myself of that the next time a skinny person flies by me in a race

I've lost about 10% of my body weight over the last year. I was only about 12 1/4 stone

Me too - 10% weight loss and 25% body fat loss since Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

As far as weight loss goes I've completely plateaud out T 14.5 stone - mainly because I am eating like a horse :D All the extra running makes me very hungry !

I'd love to knock another 1.5 to 2 stone off that but it will take a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'm planning a 17m LSR along part of the DCM route (from Phoenix Park, through Chapelizod to Crumlin Road & home again). I think my pace is too slow (11-12 min/miles) to get a running buddy! :( Also my running schedule is a bit all over the place at the moment. Was offered a job on Monday (both excited & terrified about this!) :D which I should be starting in 3 week, so I'll have to get more of a routine going then! :eek:

That's my kind of pace :D

I'm usually out on a monday morning though as I work weekends. If it suited you on a Monday I'd be happy to run with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I understand the fruit and water is it the oak cakes and things like that for snacks.

I'm not the best person to ask for diet advice. I don't put a lot of thought into it, just every now and then cut out the most obviously bad part of my diet, and replace it with something better :)

Back when I started running, I ate cereal for breakfast, chocolate all through the day at work, lunch involved white bread and usually a lot of mayonnaise, can of coke with dinner, pile of chocolate biscuits in the evening. Lots of crisps and junk on the weekend.

Breakfast changed to muesli, then muesli and a boiled egg (for the protein).
    The chocolate intake was reduced, then replaced with plainer stuff, and now I eat two pieces of fruit most days in work, and those oatcakes with tea.
    Lunch is usually soup or quiche, sandwiches only rarely.
    Water to drink. Oatcakes again with tea in the evening.

A key thing is that there's rarely any junk food in the house to eat. If there are chocolate biscuits or crisps around I'll eat them. But if they're not there I won't go round the shops to buy them.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

RayCun wrote: »
    A key thing is that there's rarely any junk food in the house to eat. If there are chocolate biscuits or crisps around I'll eat them. But if they're not there I won't go round the shops to buy them.

Totally agree with that everytime I fancy a bar of chocolate or crisps I think of the furthest shop from me and say to myself if I really want it I can run to that shop it's worked so far :)

The only thing is as the runs get longer the shop seems closer :)

I have my porridge for breakfast. Trying to get myself of the break but I am on the mccambridge bread while I get myself off it. Don't buy white bread anymore.

I hardly eat chocolate. Can remember the last time I bought a packet of biscuits Must be years ago.. Crisps is the same. Wouldn't buy a packet but would have a tester if someone had a pack. Sometimes it is the snack in work between breakfast and lunch is the killer as I end up eating my lunch at 11am cause I am starving as had my breakfast at 6.30.

Gave up the lattes etc just black coffee but no more than 2 a day.

I usually have an egg or 2 after a LSR.

I still have a takeaway a week which is usually the night after my LSR with a beer as I think I deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I'm planning a 17m LSR along part of the DCM route (from Phoenix Park, through Chapelizod to Crumlin Road & home again). I think my pace is too slow (11-12 min/miles) to get a running buddy! :( Also my running schedule is a bit all over the place at the moment. Was offered a job on Monday (both excited & terrified about this!) :D which I should be starting in 3 week, so I'll have to get more of a routine going then! :eek:

That's my kind of pace :D

I'm usually out on a monday morning though as I work weekends. If it suited you on a Monday I'd be happy to run with you.

We should have chatted sooner! When I was unemployed (well technically I still am...) I could have run my LSR on Mondays. Now I'm going to be away for the next 2 weeks & start a new job the Monday I get back. Don't know my exact work days yet though; I expect to be working on Saturdays so if I have Mondays off I can move my LSR. We could at least do the last few weeks together. I'll keep you posted if I can run on Mondays! Would be nice to have company & keep me motivated when I get tired. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done on the job Shortie. I had to laugh at your post (as I was tucking in to my bar of dairy milk!)

I hope your lsr went well Deedee. It was a nice evening for a run. :)

Trampas your diet sounds really healthy (I think I may hate you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I have my porridge for breakfast. Trying to get myself of the break but I am on the mccambridge bread while I get myself off it. Don't buy white bread anymore.

I hardly eat chocolate. Can remember the last time I bought a packet of biscuits Must be years ago.. Crisps is the same. Wouldn't buy a packet but would have a tester if someone had a pack. Sometimes it is the snack in work between breakfast and lunch is the killer as I end up eating my lunch at 11am cause I am starving as had my breakfast at 6.30.

Gave up the lattes etc just black coffee but no more than 2 a day.

I usually have an egg or 2 after a LSR.

I still have a takeaway a week which is usually the night after my LSR with a beer as I think I deserved it.

I have to say I love eggs as well, prefer scrambled though.

I'd have banana on toasted brown bread for brekkie
    I buy a carvery for lunch each day - for those of you in town, you can buy a half carvery (only difference is one slice of meat instead of two) for 5.95 in Debenhams restaurant. They don't advertise it but you ask and they give it. Thats the same price as a sandwich and you get two veg, turkey or ham, potatoes and stuffing with gravy.

Then in the evening I don't have to cook a dinner during the week and just have a sandwich and light snacks.

Then I buy the 12 pack of Manhattan popcorn as a substitute for crisps.

I have to agree about not keeping goodies in the house. I buy the bumper pack of aeros each week and take about 8 out and give the rest away to whoever is in my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Ended up doing 15.5 miles this evening, that got me exactly to my front door, I refused to run round the block for the extra half mile cos it had been lashing since mile 10 and I was soaked and cold. Was comfortable enough going around, it was actually worse when I stopped, sweet Jesus the pains in my legs! Had my ice bath and I'm good to go now. Was very slow purposely and was much happier that way, have definitely being running the long ones too fast. The worst bit was the last 6 were in the dark and it was raining, I wear glasses and between the dark and wet I couldn't see a bloody thing so really took it slow so I wouldn't trip. Glad to get it out of the way early in the week, no pressure for the weekend now. All that remains is to see can I get to sleep now after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    The worst bit was the last 6 were in the dark and it was raining

Great going Dee Dee, I couldnt face an LSR in the evening mid-week and also hate running in the dark!

Nice to have it over soo early in the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Lola27

I think i'm the only person who's actaully PUT ON weight since i've started training for the marathon...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Got my 8 miles done too - must have been the only dry 80 mins of the day. Have to say I felt a lot better doing 10 miles in a shorter time on Saturday than the 8 miles tonight. That said, it seems to be working for me.

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Ended up doing 15.5 miles this evening, that got me exactly to my front door, I refused to run round the block for the extra half mile cos it had been lashing since mile 10 and I was soaked and cold. Was comfortable enough going around, it was actually worse when I stopped, sweet Jesus the pains in my legs! Had my ice bath and I'm good to go now. Was very slow purposely and was much happier that way, have definitely being running the long ones too fast. The worst bit was the last 6 were in the dark and it was raining, I wear glasses and between the dark and wet I couldn't see a bloody thing so really took it slow so I wouldn't trip. Glad to get it out of the way early in the week, no pressure for the weekend now. All that remains is to see can I get to sleep now after it!

Did you feel any more tired doing the lsr only a few days after the last one or was it any different. I'm doing mine tomorrow evening hopefully but I'm worried since I done the last one on Sunday.

Lola27 wrote: »
    I think i'm the only person who's actaully PUT ON weight since i've started training for the marathon...:mad:

I bet you're far more toned though!
    A toned booty can look nice;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

ncmc wrote: »
    I’m on holidays on Saturday for two weeks, but when I come home I am really going to clamp down on my diet. I am going to Italy for my hols, so going to try and eat as much lovely fresh salad/fish/chicken as I can. .

Snap! Off to Italy with the family on Saturday as well, planning to get all my runs in so hoping it's gona cool down (just slightly) over there, been seriously hot last couple of weeks! Snap on the diet as well, been really terrible with eating rubbish lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Funny reading the different diets. I'm a bit fond of the chocolate too. Brown Bread most of the time. and has anyone else developed a greater thirst for beers!! I know I have... (after my water rehydration!). Maybe it's a summer thing ;-)
    Did my 8 miles this eve at 'pace' and felt good most of the way, it stayed dry for me. Calf still a bit stiff, waiting for my Sprinter Stick in the post!
    Planning a 17 Mile LSR Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Snap! Off to Italy with the family on Saturday as well, planning to get all my runs in so hoping it's gona cool down (just slightly) over there, been seriously hot last couple of weeks! Snap on the diet as well, been really terrible with eating rubbish lately!

Good luck with the running over there, I got back on Sat and it was between 33 & 38% every day with about 50-60% humidty, way too hot!! Only got 3 runs in over there, the most being 3 miles

Did just less than 7 miles tonight, including a 4KM race with the club, ended up being like a cross country mud bath but enjoyable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

zefer wrote: »
    Good luck with the running over there, I got back on Sat and it was between 33 & 38% every day with about 50-60% humidty, way too hot!! Only got 3 runs in over there, the most being 3 miles

Did just less than 7 miles tonight, including a 4KM race with the club, ended up being like a cross country mud bath but enjoyable :)

Kind of have to now though, because have only got one small run done since last Monday, and won't get much more done this week with a slight injury, so will have to get back on track over there. Just plan to be up and out early in the mornings though. Not worried once leg settles ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Lola27 wrote: »
    Nope you're not alone! I'm +7-10lbs :mad: of pure muscle* :rolleyes:

*may not actually be muscle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

I have put on nearly a stone since the start of June, mostly from going off my "diet" and allowing myself pretty much what I wanted to eat. I am hopefully back on track now and would ideally like to lose about 6 kilos between now and the race.

I did my 8 mile pace run yesterday but included some big hills in the run and it nearly killed me, ended up walkinging up the last hill as I was wiped.

Advertisement