Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

my legs have still not recovered 100% since saturday.

bring on saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

15 mile LSR done today. 24 kilometres in total. Took 3 hours 6 minutes in total (with maybe 10 mins lost to stopping at shops along the way for drinks etc)

Struggled badly by the end. (Where have we heard that before !) The wheels came off gradually from 19k onwards, by time time I was at 22k I was reduced to walking completely. Literally couldn't run my legs were in that bad shape.

The positive of the run:
    Longest run ever. When the wheels came off my second longest run (21k 2 weeks ago) they came off sooner than today. So today did represent progress.

The negative:
    Fact remains that 8 weeks out I'm falling apart half way around the full marathon course. On a scale of 1 to 10 worry wise I'm at 6.

15 mile LSR done today. 24 kilometres in total. Took 3 hours 6 minutes in total (with maybe 10 mins lost to stopping at shops along the way for drinks etc)

Struggled badly by the end. (Where have we heard that before !) The wheels came off gradually from 19k onwards, by time time I was at 22k I was reduced to walking completely. Literally couldn't run my legs were in that bad shape.

The positive of the run:
    Longest run ever. When the wheels came off my second longest run (21k 2 weeks ago) they came off sooner than today. So today did represent progress.

The negative:
    Fact remains that 8 weeks out I'm falling apart half way around the full marathon course. On a scale of 1 to 10 worry wise I'm at 6.
    you already can see where the progress is. the way im looking at it now, i'm only 10 miles away from the finish line. and im only going to get closer. so will you.

have to fall down in order to get back up.

if it wasn't hard, everyone would be doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

folan wrote: »

The positive of the run:

The negative:
    you already can see where the progress is. the way im looking at it now, i'm only 10 miles away from the finish line. and im only going to get closer. so will you.

have to fall down in order to get back up.

if it wasn't hard, everyone would be doing it.

+1 to this PM, if your honest with yourself you have come on leaps & bounds since you started training. And you'll only keep improving, plus fair play for doing 15 miles in that heat. The weather will be nowhere near as hot in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Absolutely lads - huge improvement. 7 months ago I couldn't run for a minute ! so I'm very happy with the fitter me and the progress made since then.

I just feel like I'm running out of time. If the Marathon was in December or January I'd feel a lot better about it. (Bar the weather of course !) 6 out of 10 on the worry scale isn't too bad though. :)

• Advertisement

Absolutely lads - huge improvement. 7 months ago I couldn't run for a minute ! so I'm very happy with the fitter me and the progress made since then.

I just feel like I'm running out of time. If the Marathon was in December or January I'd feel a lot better about it. (Bar the weather of course !) 6 out of 10 on the worry scale isn't too bad though. :)

Course its not, its only natural to be worrying about it. I'd be more concerned if we weren't slighty worried to be honest. As folan said, if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

i know the feeling, it does sometimes seem insurmountable, especially now its a lot closer.

but you can see the difference, and getting from running for 5 k to 20 k is tough, and its not going to get easier from here, but i trust this plan 100%.

i know that even after my worst days, when ive felt just as nervous as i think you did after the weekend, its still progress. mightnt even seem that way (doesnt to me after last weekends, all its done so far is nearly kill me)

you might say 6, but im far more confident in everyone heres ability to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

The positive of the run:

The negative:

It was really warm today I dont think you can underestimate the effect of that. I know you said it took you 3 hours plus but do you think you could slow down even more? I really really slowed down for my last LSR and was much happier going round. I really don't care how long it takes me in Oct, I just really want to run it all so slow is the only way.

You said the fact remains we're 8 weeks out, 8 weeks is a long time in training, I trust Hal and the plan, get the worry down a few notches, I hover at about worry level 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    It was really warm today I dont think you can underestimate the effect of that. I know you said it took you 3 hours plus but do you think you could slow down even more? I really really slowed down for my last LSR and was much happier going round. I really don't care how long it takes me in Oct, I just really want to run it all so slow is the only way.

You said the fact remains we're 8 weeks out, 8 weeks is a long time in training, I trust Hal and the plan, get the worry down a few notches, I hover at about worry level 3!

Taking 3 hours is a good thing, more time on your feet, don't worry about the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

The positive of the run:

The negative:

I'm running at 6/10 myself. I did a 17 miler (27.4k) yesterday and struggled from 20-21 k onwards. I had dropped water at the 25k mark and honestly didn't think I'd be able to start running again when I stopped. Managed to run the last couple of K. Once my watch told me I had 27.4k ran though I dont think I could have run another step. Mentally anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Satanta wrote: »
    I'm running at 6/10 myself. I did a 17 miler (27.4k) yesterday and struggled from 20-21 k onwards. I had dropped water at the 25k mark and honestly didn't think I'd be able to start running again when I stopped. Managed to run the last couple of K. Once my watch told me I had 27.4k ran though I dont think I could have run another step. Mentally anyway

I know the feeling. Tried walking while drinking water (hal recomends it for Marathon) a few weeks ago and legs just seized up. Took over a mile to get them right again. So sticking with the grab and go method for the rest of training and the race itself.

My mind works the same way. When you set off with the mind knowning your going to do 15 or 17 miles its ok with it but if you were to try and do any extra it would just kick up a right aul fuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭WRENALDO

rasher_m wrote: »
    I'd say this is a combination of tiredness and not eating enough. It would be a good idea not to do your lsr's on the same day as you're working.
    This has happened me in the past and I know in my case it was from poor diet and lack of sleep.
    Also as I'm sure you have read....you need to hydrate from the day before a long run as well as the day of the run.

Thanks for the response its the last LSR i have too with work on the same day so that should be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Someone mentioned that this is the toughest week of HHN2. What a week then to be bringing forward by a day, missing a rest day in the process. Just back from 5m - being knackered all day in work was a bad start. Felt queasy on the way round but got home in one piece. Early nights this week I think - need the rest more than ever.

On the bright side - looking back to 8 weeks before the Edinburgh marathon I was only just getting back running after 6 weeks off injured (cross training only) and I still managed to finish it in under 5 hours in 25deg sunshine. I'm nothing special and every single person on this thread has had better preparation so far than I had at that point so every one of us can finish too, no matter how our confidence is waning at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    Just looking at National Half Marathon results, a lad i have been beating easily all year at races ran 1.30.xx in it. I COULD have ran something near the same if i was fit. I emphasize the word COULD now. Would have been a big PB to. Stupid injury.
    That sucks BUT you shouldn't beat yourself up about it:
    1) You're able to cycle so fitness is not going to drop drastically
    2) You're doing all the physio exercises to improve the PF
    3) You're going to be ready to run a "sensible" HM in Athlone so....
    4) In a few weeks you'll be ready to continue DCM training
    :D:D:D

That sucks BUT you shouldn't beat yourself up about it:
    1) You're able to cycle so fitness is not going to drop drastically
    2) You're doing all the physio exercises to improve the PF
    3) You're going to be ready to run a "sensible" HM in Athlone so....
    4) In a few weeks you'll be ready to continue DCM training
    :D:D:D

Cheers, i hope your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

bring on saturday!

Struggled badly by the end.
    Satanta wrote: »
    Chin up guys. I know it seems really hard at the moment but even from my limited experience I know it does get better. Back in June my sister was home from Oz and I was "training" for the gold coast marathon on Jul 1st. Compared to what we're all doing now my training was crap. Running 3 days a week and way too fast. Anyway we headed off on a 20 mile run and it was so bad. Walked loads of the way and after about 18 miles we had to get our dad to come pick us up...it was not pretty! That was only back at the beginning of June. Since then I've been following HHN2 religiously and now I'm flying through the long runs. I did 19.7 miles in 3hrs 21min on Sat and I could have done more at the end. So here's the point.....don't worry about the bad runs. They're good for the soul. Don't worry about time. Consistency is the key. Keep up the midweek runs. Keep up the lsr's. Come Marathon day we'll all be flying.....guaranteed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Another unpleasant run tonight. I was trying to do my lsr moved from yesterday. I fell in a pothole in the park and twisted my ankle. Its a little swollen and sore now. Icing it and resting for a few days. Sigh, one thing after another lately. Almost regretting ever signing up... Almost :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Ugh. I've found it so hard to run. I went on holidays for 10 days and did no running. I did a 12 mile on Sunday though :) . But this week is so busy with dissertation and starting a new job. Should I just give up or perhaps take off this week and continue on HHN1? I was doing HHN2.

I won't be able to do any runs this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

bring on saturday!
    I know that feeling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Did a 7 mile tempo tonight, 7.50 average pace, felt really good after a real struggle on Saturday (16ml). Little bit of confidence restored ahead of HM. Keep chipping away folks, all doing very well.

• Advertisement

NoelJ wrote: »
    Ugh. I've found it so hard to run. I went on holidays for 10 days and did no running. I did a 12 mile on Sunday though :) . But this week is so busy with dissertation and starting a new job. Should I just give up or perhaps take off this week and continue on HHN1? I was doing HHN2.

Don't give up NoelJ, you have come this far. Switch to HH1 if you feel it suits you better. Could you not get out for few runs in the evenings this week, just 4 miles or so each time will keep you ticking over. I know you have a busy week ahead but dont let that get in the way of your DCM dream. Think positive as Younganne says.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

NoelJ wrote: »

Don't give up anyway. Think of all the miles you have behind you already. Try and get a couple of shorter runs in this week and your LSR early on sat/sun. You will be nice and alert for the research:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

dazza21ie wrote: »
    I know the feeling. Tried walking while drinking water (hal recomends it for Marathon) a few weeks ago and legs just seized up. Took over a mile to get them right again. So sticking with the grab and go method for the rest of training and the race itself.

My mind works the same way. When you set off with the mind knowning your going to do 15 or 17 miles its ok with it but if you were to try and do any extra it would just kick up a right aul fuss!

Hey dazza21ie...what time are you hoping to run the marathon in? I have no idea myself but I know we run around the same time for 10km

rasher_m wrote: »
    Hey dazza21ie...what time are you hoping to run the marathon in? I have no idea myself but I know we run around the same time for 10km

Not really sure yet, would have said sub 4:15 a month or two ago but feel like I have come on a good bit since then. Would love to think I could do a sub 4hr but don't want to blow up after all the hard work. Doing sligo half so will give that a good go and see where I am then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

27km Long run tonight.

Delighted I finished it, but a little pee'd off that I couldn't maintain the pace all the way to the finish.

This LR was supposed to have the last 17km at marathon pace. I managed about 14 of them, but then really struggled for the last 3. I suppose that it could be down to the fact that this is my 5th day in a row hitting the road, and I have now completed over 100km's over the last 7 day period.

Legs are pretty wrecked tired now, and I'm really looking forward to a day off tomorrow. Still injury free which is a real bonus :D

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/218575803

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

My arm band for gels that Mr Slow recommended arrived today.

Ideal instead of a waist belt. Looking forward to trying it out now on the lsr this weekend.

20 high five gels as well, stocking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

jprender wrote: »
    I suppose that it could be down to the fact that this is my 5th day in a row hitting the road

Well done, remember the rest days are as important as the runs. 5 days in a row is tough on the body and increases injury risk.

Try not to do that too often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Not really sure yet, would have said sub 4:15 a month or two ago but feel like I have come on a good bit since then. Would love to think I could do a sub 4hr but don't want to blow up after all the hard work. Doing sligo half so will give that a good go and see where I am then.

Yeah that would be pretty special but I havn't broken 50 mins for the 10km so doubt its achieveable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This LR was supposed to have the last 17km at marathon pace.

Wow - doesn't sound like a novice plan. What plan are you following?

• Advertisement

27km Long run tonight.

Delighted I finished it, but a little pee'd off that I couldn't maintain the pace all the way to the finish.

This LR was supposed to have the last 17km at marathon pace. I managed about 14 of them, but then really struggled for the last 3. I suppose that it could be down to the fact that this is my 5th day in a row hitting the road, and I have now completed over 100km's over the last 7 day period.

Legs are pretty wrecked tired now, and I'm really looking forward to a day off tomorrow. Still injury free which is a real bonus :D

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/218575803

Looks like you have a nice flat route there. I'm jealous!! Can sell you a few hills if you want?!

Impressive running all the same. I could probably keep up with you... for the first 5k or so:D

Advertisement