Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

16 mile LSR done this morning. It was a three hour slogfest. The DCM route from Templeogue to Ballsbridge and back. Pretty tough going, I never got into the groove, everything was stiff, I just wasn't feeling it today. To compound things I got the nutrition very wrong and really felt I was running on empty. Started feeling light headed etc about 10 miles, thought I was going to vomit at about 13 miles. Not good, however I am seriously stubborn and I just would not let myself stop until I ran every inch of those 16 miles. 11 min miles average, probably a bit quick for me but I just couldn't slow down anymore I needed to finish asap! Hopefully my brain will stay in charge of my legs on the big day and force me around those 26 miles. Highlights of today, getting the hang of peeing in the bushes, I've lost all inhibitions here now. Seeing other runners out on the course and me thinking look I'm a real runner now too! Collecting kids from school and seeing the other mammies talking about spending their morning doing the ironing and me thinking, I ran 16 bloody miles this morning. More than once in the three hours I got to thinking that I'd come on here later and tell you how I got on and that was another thing that got me round the course, I wouldn't come on and say I quit. So thank you all for this thread it is definitely a big motivator for me. I needed to get to the post office before it closed for lunch. Finished up the 16 miles and had to pass my door and leg it up the shops to get to the Post Office, I was hanging onto the counter to keep me upright whilst I asked for a postal order. The pain really starts in my legs once I stop so was pretty uncomfortable whilst in the queue. Add my big beetroot face to that and I'm sure I was a sight to behold. Home for an ice bath and another run in the bag now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    16 mile LSR done this morning. It was a three hour slogfest. The DCM route from Templeogue to Ballsbridge and back. Pretty tough going, I never got into the groove, everything was stiff, I just wasn't feeling it today. To compound things I got the nutrition very wrong and really felt I was running on empty. Started feeling light headed etc about 10 miles, thought I was going to vomit at about 13 miles. Not good, however I am seriously stubborn and I just would not let myself stop until I ran every inch of those 16 miles. 11 min miles average, probably a bit quick for me but I just couldn't slow down anymore I needed to finish asap! Hopefully my brain will stay in charge of my legs on the big day and force me around those 26 miles. Highlights of today, getting the hang of peeing in the bushes, I've lost all inhibitions here now. Seeing other runners out on the course and me thinking look I'm a real runner now too! Collecting kids from school and seeing the other mammies talking about spending their morning doing the ironing and me thinking, I ran 16 bloody miles this morning. More than once in the three hours I got to thinking that I'd come on here later and tell you how I got on and that was another thing that got me round the course, I wouldn't come on and say I quit. So thank you all for this thread it is definitely a big motivator for me. I needed to get to the post office before it closed for lunch. Finished up the 16 miles and had to pass my door and leg it up the shops to get to the Post Office, I was hanging onto the counter to keep me upright whilst I asked for a postal order. The pain really starts in my legs once I stop so was pretty uncomfortable whilst in the queue. Add my big beetroot face to that and I'm sure I was a sight to behold. Home for an ice bath and another run in the bag now.

Great running Deedee, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Great effort DeeDee I know what u mean about this board giving extra motivation. I think I would have given up long ago without the support on here, virtual running partners rock :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great stuff Dee. Your post made me laugh....talk about releasing the inner marathoner:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

18 miler this sunday and hope to do miles 1-11 of DCM and fit 7 miles around it.

What are people planning for this weekend? Any training on the course?

• Advertisement

Step back week for me (praise the lord). Only 14 miles to do. Haha a few months ago I thought 10km was too far for me :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Hi Folks,

We started a new series on Inside Sport on 103.2 Dublin City FM yesterday, helping you with training for the Dublin Marathon.

Marathon Coach with Marathon Mission and part of the Dublin Marathon team Eugene Coppinger will give his advice over the next number of weeks until the October bank holiday weekend.

If you have any questions please post and I will ask Eugene for you and it will be part of next weeks show.

Inside Sport - Tuesdays at 7 on 103.2 Dublin City FM.

The piece will be repeated on Sport Choice 7pm on Thursday - 103.2 Dublin City FM

www.dublincityfm.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Well done!! Sounds like you had great determination this morning !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

4 mile run tonight. These days 4 mile runs are considered short and something to look forward to which is progress in itself. :)

Felt a bit adventurous so upped the pace for the run knowing that all I had to do was cover 4 miles. Total time of 38:10 with an average pace of 6:00 min per kilometre / 9:40 per mile. Splits of

5:53
    6:14
    6:12
    6:14
    5:46
    5:54

Frankly speaking I would not be capable of doing much further at that kind of pace but it was nice to push the boat a bit. 2k from home opened up a bit more.

Only issue is the shin splints hurting a lot more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Back from 8miler, really struggled today, very sluggish and couldnt keep my regular pace.

My right quad and glutes have been niggling and pinching since LSR last weekend. Going to skip tomorrows run to rest in the hope it will benefit for 19m LSR saturday morning.

Appointment with physio monday to get it looked at, hopefully I can get through LSR without making it worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Okay so based on advice I got The Stick! Did a bit on my calves before I went out.. but was afraid to overdo it first time! Went for a 8 Mile Run... calves were bit tight as usual. I gave them a good lashing of The Stick afterwards to loosen them out, really applied pressure to the sore spots, spent about 15 minutes at them. They are really sore now... is that the way it's supposed to be? Am I doing it right? it's my upper inner calves that are tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Okay so based on advice I got The Stick! Did a bit on my calves before I went out.. but was afraid to overdo it first time! Went for a 8 Mile Run... calves were bit tight as usual. I gave them a good lashing of The Stick afterwards to loosen them out, really applied pressure to the sore spots, spent about 15 minutes at them. They are really sore now... is that the way it's supposed to be? Am I doing it right? it's my upper inner calves that are tight.

No pain, no gain!! First time using it is always the worst. Probably spend a bit too long at them on first go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I'd say Youtube would have some demo's on how to use the stick for sure.

I was just looking at how many lsr's are left until taper. Are people going to take the step back weeks between now and taper or are they running long lsr's for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

rasher_m wrote: »
    I was just looking at how many lsr's are left until taper. Are people going to take the step back weeks between now and taper or are they running long lsr's for them?

Wouldn't be advisable to do longer LSR's during taper time as its meant to be a time for your legs to recover before running the marathon. You'll only wind up at the start line exhausted and putting yourself through 4-5 hrs worth of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

I'm going to do a 30K LSR this weekend but as I dont strictly follow any training plan I'm just going to see how I get on & compare it with the 29k LSR that I did 2 weeks ago - I cant say that I'm looking forward to it though:( From what I'm reading it looks like we should be getting 2 or 3 20+ milers in up to 3 weeks before the big day & taper off then so that means that we should be doing those over the next 4 -5 weeks - is that what most are doing or am I way off the mark??? Any advice is very much appreciated;)

Once I read that back it looks weird saying that I'm going for a 30k run:eek::eek:

My planned lsr's are as follows

14, Athlone HM, 20, 12, Athlone 3/4, 12, 8, Dcm

HTH :D

tang1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be advisable to do longer LSR's during taper time as its meant to be a time for your legs to recover before running the marathon. You'll only wind up at the start line exhausted and putting yourself through 4-5 hrs worth of pain.

Hi tang, no what I mean is that there are a few step back weeks left before the taper comes into play and I'm wondering if people are going to take the step back weeks or do long lsrs for them ;)

My planned lsr's are as follows

14, Athlone HM, 20, 12, Athlone 3/4, 12, 8, Dcm

HTH :D

Yeah I was looking at that Athlone 3/4 and thinking it would be a good one to get in beforehand. Bit of a drag coming from Dublin though, even if it does start at 11am but looks good all the same.

I'd say it would suit more experienced runners than slow novices like myself since its a long aul race near the marathon. Would be good for the likes of those shooting for under 4 hrs with the pacers and all.

I was reading the Dublin Marathon 16 week plan and there is no step back weeks on it. This is why I'm wondering about this kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi tang, no what I mean is that there are a few step back weeks left before the taper comes into play and I'm wondering if people are going to take the step back weeks or do long lsrs for them ;)

Definitely take the step back weeks. Most of the work is done now, you don't want to end up injured.

Better to turn up at the start line a little undertrained than overtrained or injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

I have an 18m this Sat, Following week is a taper with Dub H/M, and then 19m, 20m and finish at 21m the 3 successive w'ends. I plan on tapering back to 15m, 10m and a rest Sat 3 weeks before big day? Not sure if correct but it is in the plan, any advice welcome!

I didn't think Athlone was that far from Dublin.....its a good old drive for me as well but them's the breaks :D I think if you can do the 3/4 you should cause it will be great race practice re pacing gels water etc etc and it would be cool to meet up with a few novices before D-day :D

lrak wrote: »
    I have an 18m this Sat, Following week is a taper with Dub H/M, and then 19m, 20m and finish at 21m the 3 successive w'ends. I plan on tapering back to 15m, 10m and a rest Sat 3 weeks before big day? Not sure if correct but it is in the plan, any advice welcome!

Theres another step back week in about 3 weeks i thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Yeah I was looking at that Athlone 3/4 and thinking it would be a good one to get in beforehand. Bit of a drag coming from Dublin though, even if it does start at 11am but looks good all the same.

I'd say it would suit more experienced runners than slow novices like myself since its a long aul race near the marathon. Would be good for the likes of those shooting for under 4 hrs with the pacers and all.

I was reading the Dublin Marathon 16 week plan and there is no step back weeks on it. This is why I'm wondering about this kind of thing.

I think on that plan they build up the LSR much slower at that start. I think that you have just got to believe in the plan that you have followed to date. If we change too much from the original plan then it's not real Hal's (or anybody else) that we are following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

theres loads of plans out there, some with step backs, some without. the HH novice 2 plan has me running for longer sooner than friends on other plans.

these same friends have completed marathons, so it definatly works for them.

i picked the HH plan because it seems to be a well known and trusted plan, and ive read one of his books and was convinced by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked (or more annoying - answered) already - I had a look through the posts but there are so many so I might have missed it.

Am wondering what sort of per km/mile pace the pacers run on the day. Let's say I plan to run with the sub 4h30 pacers, I'm not sure how realistic that finishing time is, but I would have more of an idea if I knew what average, steady pace the pacers do for that finishing time - do they run @ a consistent pace of over 6min kilometres or do they run at a faster pace and then slow down etc?

If anyone knows, I'd be grateful for the answer :) Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The pacers run the same steady pace from start to finish. The 4.30 gang will be running 10.17 a mile/6.24 a km all the way through, to finish in 4.29.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Trampas wrote: »
    18 miler this sunday and hope to do miles 1-11 of DCM and fit 7 miles around it.

What are people planning for this weekend? Any training on the course?

Yup, 18 miles as well, will be similar to you, prob go as far as mile 13 in walkinstown before doubling back to the start line then back along the canal to make up 18. Will be doing it Monday morning at first light though as not free at the weekend.

I doubt anyone is in the same boat as me but if you are stick it up on the group runs section!

Re- running the course - Is it worth it? Is it not very annoying crossing roads/traffic the whole time?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

My half marathon race number arrived this morning :D. I am planning on trying to run at sub 1:50 but I think I would need to feel great on the day to achieve that. More likely I will be going for 1:55.

What are people doing for that week, I am on HH N2 and next weeks plan is for 5,8 pace, 5 mile run. I was planning on doing them earlier in the week, mon, Tues, Wed giving my self two full days of rest before the race.

• Advertisement

LarMan wrote: »
    My half marathon race number arrived this morning :D. I am planning on trying to run at sub 1:50 but I think I would need to feel great on the day to achieve that. More likely I will be going for 1:55.

What are people doing for that week, I am on HH N2 and next weeks plan is for 5,8 pace, 5 mile run. I was planning on doing them earlier in the week, mon, Tues, Wed giving my self two full days of rest before the race.
    Hi Lar. I'm doing Athlone HM on Sat and also HHn2 so plan for the week is to do 5 and 8 (not pace) tues and wed rest thurs and fri race sat and recovery run sun :)

Advertisement